Iowa withheld some athletes from competition

Saw on another board some rumors that seem to be substantive, that Bruce is being federally investigated for betting on 2nd half points of Iowa games during halftime...with his girlfriend's account & phone.

If that ends up being true, he deserves 30 years in prison.
Agreed. I don't think the clip in the tweet was anything though. If he drops it, it's 4th and 2. Catching it makes it 1st and goal at the 2. But still, where there's smoke...

Saw on another board some rumors that seem to be substantive, that Bruce is being federally investigated for betting on 2nd half points of Iowa games during halftime...with his girlfriend's account & phone.

I guess that becomes problematic if the GF takes the fall for it all... That's where I bet they all try to get away with it though. Friends phones accounts credit cards etc etc... Yet here they are getting busted. What kind of $ were they betting? How's this sort of thing get flagged to begin with? A random college girl betting $100 on a football game shouldn't do that would it? It'll be interesting to the reporting and untangling of all this. I wonder how fast we'll find out

I guess that becomes problematic if the GF takes the fall for it all... That's where I bet they all try to get away with it though. Friends phones accounts credit cards etc etc... Yet here they are getting busted. What kind of $ were they betting? How's this sort of thing get flagged to begin with? A random college girl betting $100 on a football game shouldn't do that would it? It'll be interesting to the reporting and untangling of all this. I wonder how fast we'll find out
I don't know, that sort of thing would be a federal deal with the threat of prison time. I doubt if the girlfriend would roll over for that. It isn't like Bruce is some big time pro prospect who'll give her a bunch of money to take the fall. And even if it was just $100, if it was betting on Hawkeye games he was playing in it has major repercussions. I have to believe that the Iowa/ISU game has 8 digits of betting volume.

And federal prosecutors are REALLY good at scaring the shit out of people when it comes to threatening prison time.

It seems unlikely that this information would be known already, but who knows. If it is being circulated enough online with the risk of libel lawsuits, there is probably some there there.

Ironically, the notion that a part time WR could influence the second half score of Iowa's inept offense is a little far-fetched. I mean, I guess I saw the same twitter post showing him trip over his own two feet instead of scoring, but how often could he count on being in any sort of position to materially impact the game in the second half such that he would bet on it? The guy, even when healthy, was probably only getting a touch or so in the second half of any given game. If it were a QB or RB I could see it. Or a star WR from a legitimate offense.

Bruce trying to slow down Iowa's offense last year to win a bet is like a fly landing on a turtle to slow its pace.

I don't know, that sort of thing would be a federal deal with the threat of prison time. I doubt if the girlfriend would roll over for that. It isn't like Bruce is some big time pro prospect who'll give her a bunch of money to take the fall. And even if it was just $100, if it was betting on Hawkeye games he was playing in it has major repercussions. I have to believe that the Iowa/ISU game has 8 digits of betting volume.

And federal prosecutors are REALLY good at scaring the shit out of people when it comes to threatening prison time.
So true. Point shaving in sports has always been taken seriously. Sports books have powerful lobbyist and anyone cheating the system could well see the inside of a prison cell. Its a white collar crime, but its taken seriously.

That said, its hard to prove circumstantially. Proving the bet is easy, but proving that he fell down on purpose against Nebraska gives a lot of room for reasonable doubt. The co-conspirator's testimony is critical.

BTW, if this turns out to be true, it puts a whole new spin on BF being the worst OC in the history of mankind. In some respects, it gives him a little cover. "See, this is why we sucked, not me." But, it also raises questions as to culture that are beyond contemplation 5 minutes into this possible story.

Yeah lots of questions. I know those folks that are looking for it are able to notice patterns and whatnot. The who/why they were even looking to begin with has me intrigued. Gambling is so huge that there's no way they randomly said lets look at Iowa athletes. They had to have had a reason. I'll be curious if they ever say what that is down the road.

Yeah lots of questions. I know those folks that are looking for it are able to notice patterns and whatnot. The who/why they were even looking to begin with has me intrigued. Gambling is so huge that there's no way they randomly said lets look at Iowa athletes. They had to have had a reason. I'll be curious if they ever say what that is down the road.
Usually the way it works is they find someone who screwed up, and threaten the living shit out of him/her until they start tattling.

I personally don't think there's some kind of big conspiracy at Iowa. Maybe I'm wrong.

If Bruce was betting on games that's a problem, but I guess I don't see a bunch of Iowa players being in on it. I don't think Bruce is smart enough to do that stuff and get away with it...if he were that smart he'd never do it in the first place. I've also heard rumors that it was a fantasy football deal that got most of them in trouble. Like all rumors, the truth is usually somewhere in between, and it pays to remember that the media love to hype these kinds of things up to generate clicks.

My gut hunch says that there was probably some low-level stuff going on that guys shouldn't have been doing and they'll get punished for it and move on. The Arland Bruce thing feels like a separate deal to me. Let's hope.

Even before AI became what it is, books had sophisticated programs to detect unusual betting patterns and results. That is how they detect these things. The betters get greedy and overbet the situation. There is such a high volume of bets that patterns emerge. If a game is expected to have 350k in total bets and it garners 2 million and an unexpected result in favor of a few gamblers emerges, the computer flags that.

And here, the alleged perps are college kids, so judgment and discretion may not be there highest traits.

I personally don't think there's some kind of big conspiracy at Iowa. Maybe I'm wrong.

If Bruce was betting on games that's a problem, but I guess I don't see a bunch of Iowa players being in on it. I don't think Bruce is smart enough to do that stuff and get away with it...if he were that smart he'd never do it in the first place. I've also heard rumors that it was a fantasy football deal that got most of them in trouble. Like all rumo-rs, the truth is usually somewhere in between, and it pays to remember that the media love to hype these kinds of things up to generate clicks.

My gut hunch says that there was probably some low-level stuff going on that guys shouldn't have been doing and they'll get punished for it and move on. The Arland Bruce thing feels like a separate deal to me. Let's hope.
This take seems right. The stuff that started this story seems likely to be low lever type stuff by a few athletes placing some bets they should not have. But, not point shaving or betting against their team type stuff. If so, slap on the wrist and re-educate the masses.

The Bruce thing seems coincidental, not linked. Again, a google search has enough people posting written things about Bruce that I find it hard to believe that it is completely fabricated.

I'm sorry, xir, but you spelled "100 years in an asspounder federal prison" incorrectly.

Total speculation and probably unfair, but Keagan Johnson's injury always seemed a bit fishy and we all thought so at the time. He was always making progress and was almost ready to return...for 3-4 months. I've never heard his name mentioned with any of this so it's probably just one dumb guy's random thoughts at 3 in the morning.

Funny, but also a bit scary. That was as low-budget as you could imagine, and I bet it still fools some folks. Imagine what you could do if you get DARPA-level AI involved in deepfakes?

Imagine what you can do with DARPA level AI in five years.

Latest posts