Iowa Watching Cezar Guerrero

I'm sorry, I was wrong about OK State but they have been a much better program last few years. But I just don't think we stand a chance with this kid against Kansas. It would be HUGE to grab him but if you are a top PG do you choose Kansas (continually a title contender) or Iowa (occasionally a CBI participant)? That is why Fran's job is so tough. He's going to have to get guys like this in order to turn it around but going up against Kansas isn't what he needs. Luckily, he's from the west coast so he may not know much about Iowa (and that is a good thing).

How about you stop talking out of your ***.

I doubt Iowa lands Cezar, but don't report that Iowa has been eliminated. That's not being pessimistic, that's being a ******.

It would be HUGE to grab him but if you are a top PG do you choose Kansas (continually a title contender) or Iowa (occasionally a CBI participant)?
When is the last time Iowa participated in the CBI? How often have the Hawkeyes participated in a postseason tourney that's not the NIT or NCAA?

I'm sorry, I was wrong about OK State but they have been a much better program last few years. But I just don't think we stand a chance with this kid against Kansas. It would be HUGE to grab him but if you are a top PG do you choose Kansas (continually a title contender) or Iowa (occasionally a CBI participant)? That is why Fran's job is so tough. He's going to have to get guys like this in order to turn it around but going up against Kansas isn't what he needs. Luckily, he's from the west coast so he may not know much about Iowa (and that is a good thing).

Seriously, why on earth do you call yourself a Hawkeye fan?

When is the last time Iowa participated in the CBI? How often have the Hawkeyes participated in a postseason tourney that's not the NIT or NCAA?

You're right Iowa hasn't been to a postseason tourney in 5 years PERIOD! Since that time Kansas has won a national title.

You're right Iowa hasn't been to a postseason tourney in 5 years PERIOD! Since that time Kansas has won a national title.

The point is, you make things up to belittle Iowa. I love the posters that say we shouldn't even bother recruiting a kid if he has high level offers because there is no possible way we could win that battle. Then, if we happen to offer a guy without the high profile offers they **** about the fact that we can't get to the top of the big 10 with that type of talent.

So Iowa shouldn't recruit good players?

Dude doesn't even have a Kansas offer, he has been told he is Kansas' backup plan in case a Jayhawk declares for the NBA.

Iowa recruits a player with few offers: "Why are we going after this guy, he looks like a Lick kid, does McCaffery know we need big time players?"

Iowa recruits a player with a good offers list: "Why are we going after this guy, we suck, doesn't McCaffery know we can't compete?"

Point being, if Iowa is going to rise back to the level they use to be, Fran needs to target players that are very good. Players like that are going to have good offers, like from Kansas, etc. Iowa City and Iowa basketball can attract those good players. Has in the past and will again in the future.

Guerro named top four in no order . OSU, OU, KU, and Iowa.

Hmmm, three B12 teams and one B10 team. We have a strong selling point here (in addition to many others). B10 is a superior conference in terms of attendance, BTN revenue, and stability.

It may come down if either of the two KU players do not return to KU next year. On the other hand, nobody likes to be a "fall back option" and he won't get the immediate PT at KU that he would here.

Point being, if Iowa is going to rise back to the level they use to be, Fran needs to target players that are very good. Players like that are going to have good offers, like from Kansas, etc. Iowa City and Iowa basketball can attract those good players. Has in the past and will again in the future.

+100000000

The rebuilding process will start with under the radar guys like Basabe, but you eventually you at least have to be recruiting like a top 4 Big 10, ACC, SEC, PAC 10, Big East team if you want to be a consistent 20+ wins a year team, which if you reach 20+ wins as a Big 10 team should mean you are a top 29 type team which with 68 teams now making the NCAA tournament should get you in the NCAA yearly.

I don't know how often Iowa will ever beat out a strong Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky offer but I think they can and should aim to at least beat out strong offers from power conference teams.

Hmmm, three B12 teams and one B10 team. We have a strong selling point here (in addition to many others). B10 is a superior conference in terms of attendance, BTN revenue, and stability.

It may come down if either of the two KU players do not return to KU next year. On the other hand, nobody likes to be a "fall back option" and he won't get the immediate PT at KU that he would here.

He may prefer the B12 style of play. Fran plays a B12 style but in a conference that generally doesn't play that way. That may be why Fran has his interest.

Latest posts