Iowa vs Pea Soup Green Spartans GAME THREAD

Pretty much. I'm done being upset. It chaps my ass too - but nothing I can do about it. That's why I spent most of tonight watching Lightning hockey and just keeping an eye on the score of the Iowa/MSU game. If it had been interesting I'd have turned it on. But it wasn't, so... That's basically where I am anymore.

Saddens me because I used to be die hard Hawkeye. The past 20 years have finally killed that. Been there for the last couple years, actually.

I grew up in the 80s so I saw the time frame you mentioned. I miss it, and not sure if it's ever coming back. Iowa doesn't hire coaches that can recruit, so...
I agree with every word of your post but hockey. That sport is 1/16th of a notch above soccer on the back and forth for 90 minutes with maybe one point snore fest :)

But there again, it’s much more exciting than Hawkeye basketball.

I agree with every word of your post but hockey. That sport is 1/16th of a notch above soccer on the back and forth for 90 minutes with maybe one point snore fest :)

But there again, it’s much more exciting than Hawkeye basketball.
I go to about half a dozen USHL games a season. I've always enjoyed them. Fewer things are more intense that a 1-0 postseason hockey game.

If they all go and we still suck then what's your story?

Unlike you lemmings, I don’t buy into the thought that they would suck if they all go. We’re 8 years into this White Magic era and it’s as bad as I’ve EVER seen Iowa basketball and football is about as hopelessly flatlined as u can get.

I’m actually optimistic - as I watch other teams and coaches’ manage winnable situations and their own talent - that there’s plenty of competence out there capable of doing so much more with Iowa’s talent.

Look, tonite is NOT a great example - an extremely overrated Iowa team got stomped by a superior team and coach. But it’s just more salt in the wound of the constant inconsistencies, the constant strategical coaching gaffes, the constant discombobulated performances that lead to the constant winnable losses to (what historically have been and still are, on paper) inferior teams.

I get that upsets happen and teams get beat - sometimes in unexpectedly embarrassing fashion - but it’s becoming more of an expectation rather than an exception with Iowa. I’d be far more hopeful just cleaning house than continuing what I KNOW is circling the bowl.

He’s not wrong.

I can’t think of another P5 school where mediocrity is as tolerated and even encouraged by the AD, donors, and BOR.

Iowa State.

Accountability is a funny thing. A lot of people say Iowa does it the right way. We don't know that. What is true is that when there is a lack of accountability in one area (winning) it tends to lead to a lack of accountability in other areas. When maintaining the status quo is the only goal, eventually something worse than not winning will happen, and the entrenched interests will work to cover it up to maintain the status quo. Accountability is needed at this University.

So what. We lost to MSU at home. That's no big deal. Losing by 22 points? Yeah. That's a problem. It's a recurring problem. Will there be any accountability after the season? I find it interesting that we hold our announcers to a higher standard than our head coaches.

I know what you meant. Moss shouldn't be on the floor. He helps the opposing team more then Iowa. 8 scholorship players doesn't mean 8 w/ talent. Little Baer has contributed more this year then Moss. Play him.
How did Moss survive in the Chicago Public league.

At Simeon, no less.

Pretty much. I'm done being upset. It chaps my ass too - but nothing I can do about it. That's why I spent most of tonight watching Lightning hockey and just keeping an eye on the score of the Iowa/MSU game. If it had been interesting I'd have turned it on. But it wasn't, so... That's basically where I am anymore.

Saddens me because I used to be die hard Hawkeye. The past 20 years have finally killed that. Been there for the last couple years, actually.

I grew up in the 80s so I saw the time frame you mentioned. I miss it, and not sure if it's ever coming back. Iowa doesn't hire coaches that can recruit, so...
you are lucky, you can blow off an Iowa loss with walking outside and you are in Florida.

“It just kind of snowballed quickly,” McCaffery said of Michigan State’s 9-0 run to start the second half. “I thought about calling a timeout really on the second basket, but I didn’t, in case we needed it at the end. And probably should have.”

My gawd, what an incompetent f'n moron. You're down 14 and you think you need to save a timeout??

Unlike you lemmings, I don’t buy into the thought that they would suck if they all go. We’re 8 years into this White Magic era and it’s as bad as I’ve EVER seen Iowa basketball and football is about as hopelessly flatlined as u can get.

I’m actually optimistic - as I watch other teams and coaches’ manage winnable situations and their own talent - that there’s plenty of competence out there capable of doing so much more with Iowa’s talent.

Look, tonite is NOT a great example - an extremely overrated Iowa team got stomped by a superior team and coach. But it’s just more salt in the wound of the constant inconsistencies, the constant strategical coaching gaffes, the constant discombobulated performances that lead to the constant winnable losses to (what historically have been and still are, on paper) inferior teams.

I get that upsets happen and teams get beat - sometimes in unexpectedly embarrassing fashion - but it’s becoming more of an expectation rather than an exception with Iowa. I’d be far more hopeful just cleaning house than continuing what I KNOW is circling the bowl.

Izzo is a Hall of Fame coach, and I expected a loss at MSU from the first glance at the schedule, but I thought we would be able to keep the point spread under 20 Fing points.....

All that remains is the hope that the Hawks can get back to form starting with the clones. Otherwise it is going to be an intolerable season.....

Another one

Last edited:

it's not just basketball, it's all sports men and women. Iowa doesn't even win Big 10 titles anymore. We won the baseball tournament two years ago, men's outdoor track in I believe in 2010 and I think the wrestling tournament like 4-5 years ago, we tied it with OSU. Maybe we should leave the BIG and go to a smaller conference where we can compete, because this current staff doesn't have what it takes to win at Iowa. This athletic staff has it set so no one can fire them and they collect their huge checks while not producing results.

I didn't say that we would still suck. I asked what you would say if we did still suck.

I would say we suck?

However, there's a big difference between sucking due to lack of talent and sucking due to a misuse of talent, lack of strategical adaptation and a pervasive culture of low standards that rewards mediocre results and under-performance.

My posts clearly put the reason for sucking on the latter. Yours implies it's the former. I disagree with your premise of blaming the players' lack of talent. I believe Iowa does have talent to have better results.

Just in case you're thinking of going down the "unreasonable expectations" rabbit hole - I'm not naive enough to think Iowa is a perennial powerhouse. Some years they are going to suck because of lack of talent. Some years they are going to have adequate talent and still get beat by better talent, even occasionally upset by inferior talent.

I completely accept getting beat as part of sports. I have a low tolerance for losing, especially when the coaching and culture add another weapon to the opponent that hinder your players' talents, limit your team's opportunity for success, and continuously contributes to losing.

I would say we suck?

However, there's a big difference between sucking due to lack of talent and sucking due to a misuse of talent, lack of strategical adaptation and a pervasive culture of low standards that rewards mediocre results and under-performance.

My posts clearly put the reason for sucking on the latter. Yours implies it's the former. I disagree with your premise of blaming the players' lack of talent. I believe Iowa does have talent to have better results.

Just in case you're thinking of going down the "unreasonable expectations" rabbit hole - I'm not naive enough to think Iowa is a perennial powerhouse. Some years they are going to suck because of lack of talent. Some years they are going to have adequate talent and still get beat by better talent, even occasionally upset by inferior talent.

I completely accept getting beat as part of sports. I have a low tolerance for losing, especially when the coaching and culture add another weapon to the opponent that hinder your players' talents, limit your team's opportunity for success, and continuously contributes to losing.

Our 2 position is probably by far the worst in the conference. The other 4 positions we can compete at. We are one good 2 away from being pretty good.

I would say we suck?

There are too many assumptions about my thoughts in this post to even respond to. It's easier to just say that you missed the mark on each account.

My question was centric in the issue of whether your love for the University is only based on sporting success. Without sporting success is Iowa just another University to you? If so as I expect then we are not the same kind of fan.

Izzo is a Hall of Fame coach, and I expected a loss at MSU from the first glance at the schedule, but I thought we would be able to keep the point spread under 20 Fing points.....

All that remains is the hope that the Hawks can get back to form starting with the clones. Otherwise it is going to be an intolerable season.....

Another one

Yeah, that's just it. I wasn't foolish enough to expect a win in Breslin. Even if Iowa had played well, the may still have lost that game. I'd have been OK with that - but getting totally blown out : THAT is where I have an issue.

If they bounce back and beat ISU, and have a good season, then okay. But this team and program has gotta start showing me something. Soon. I'll always be a fan, but apathy is starting to take over.

Yeah, that's just it. I wasn't foolish enough to expect a win in Breslin. Even if Iowa had played well, the may still have lost that game. I'd have been OK with that - but getting totally blown out : THAT is where I have an issue.

If they bounce back and beat ISU, and have a good season, then okay. But this team and program has gotta start showing me something. Soon. I'll always be a fan, but apathy is starting to take over.

I'm not opposite. Get all the bad out in one loss. Nothing worse than "wasting" a good performance on a loss.

I'm not opposite. Get all the bad out in one loss. Nothing worse than "wasting" a good performance on a loss.

Not sure I subscribe to that. I just have a hard time believing that playing well one game means that you can't play well the next, or that you "use up" your good performances so it's best not to waste it..

But I guess if you're gonna lay an egg, may as well be in a game you were probably not going to win anyway.

I'm not a moral victory kind of guy, but I sure would rather see the team be competitive, even in defeat.. Wouldn't you?

I believe more in positive momentum.