Iowa vs. Ohio State

I keep thinking about how big of a game Saturday could be. Of course tonight's a big game too. I wish every team in this conference wasn't decent/good. It's be nice to play, like, a TCU every once in a while just for the break.

That team for Iowa this year is NW. They have a decent record in conference but the match ups favored Iowa at every position. They've been a good rebound win after tough losses this year.

Iowa has had more blow outs and been up big in so many others, It seems to me that they have been on the brink of blowing games open in nearly every game, including that Sparty game....

I believe teams have finally understood that the key to the Iowa offense is transition and if OSU gets back and it's half court against half court it will be an ugly game with the outcome a toss up.

If Ohio State immediately drops back to stop us in transition they might not score over 50 points. See NW. I'm willing to play our half court game (with our front court) against their half court game all night long. We won't immediately drop back and will get offensive rebounds, 2nd chance points, etc.

I'm feeling we pound the snot out of them. Woody is so intense lately, he goes ******* crazy on them. Picks up a double single.

I keep thinking about how big of a game Saturday could be. Of course tonight's a big game too. I wish every team in this conference wasn't decent/good. It's be nice to play, like, a TCU every once in a while just for the break.

Yeah I hear ya. Iowa has a tougher conference schedule this year, and the past several games has been a pretty grueling stretch. The good news is that there are only two ranked opponents left on our schedule, although Wisconsin could sneak back in by the time we play them. So the upcoming schedule (after Michigan) appears to be more manageable.

Still gotta show up and play every night, but that's something Fran-coached teams seem good at doing.

In the B1G TCU is called Illinois. :)

Id like to see Iowa go w Dev at the point and uthoff at the 2 forcing a post up game on Craft. That guy will foul them (as he can't help himself as he does on every possession) getting him out of the game.

Fall back into a zone and dare craft and those slashers to shoot over the top of that zone.

Why are we only 6 point favorites? At CHA, we crushed them on the road, they are not ranked. This will be a 20 point rout.

The reason only a 6-point favorite is that OSU is good. Not great (they are challenged offensively) but they still play very good defense. Their 5 losses have all been close, they either led/tied late into those games. Both Iowa and Minny ended up beating them by 10, but games were tight due to OSU's defense. Buckeyes took MSU to OT in East Lansing with both Payne and Dawson playing big minutes.

I would like nothing better than a 20 point rout, but not seeing it with the way the Buckeyes play defense. Just win.

tOSU has a Top 5 defense, so you can expect close and tight in every game.

I think Crafts 13-15 fouls/gm is nearly the sole reason for that rating. If Iowa had a guy that could commit a foul on the ball handler on nearly every possession, how many defensive stop is that worth?

Craft also gets away w so much, that it takes a truly horrific hack to be called. You will not see him get called for the touch fouls that every other guard is called for.

Then, when actually whistled, Craft throws up the act like wasn't possibly a foul. We will see that at least 4x tonight too.

Id like to see Iowa go w Dev at the point and uthoff at the 2 forcing a post up game on Craft. That guy will foul them (as he can't help himself as he does on every possession) getting him out of the game.

Fall back into a zone and dare craft and those slashers to shoot over the top of that zone.

We've played that line up once this year so far, at the start of OT against Villanova and Uthoff was out of position in the zone both possesions. Not sure I like him at the top of the zone, plus I think we need at least two ball handlers on the court against OSU's on ball pressure at all times. Uthoff is not ready to be the secondary ball handler.

Just bring the broom. Hawks need to sweep these jokers as they don't get many opporunities to do that year to year.

Plus, CANNOT, CANNOT, CANNOT lose more home games. Should we lose this one, it would be our first bad loss.

I just don't see the Hawks laying 2 straight eggs at home. Good teams just don't do that. And it helps that OSU does not have the toughness of MSU (give or take craft).

At Ohio State we got one of Dev's best games and protected the ball very well (especially the bench). It was as close to a full 40 minutes of good ball as the Hawks have shown all year. I believe teams have finally understood that the key to the Iowa offense is transition and if OSU gets back and it's half court against half court it will be an ugly game with the outcome a toss up.

Some of the polish is off the OSU apple and Craft while still getting the benefit of the doubt he isn't getting the superstar treatment in foul avoidance where he can do no wrong. He probably only gets about 10 fouls a game now before the 4th is whistled.

The key IMO to this game will be the bench play from Josh, Gabe, and JU in that order. The one big difference in OSU is that Hayes is now established as part of the offense. He's a load and one reason I don't want to see us trying to beat them in a half court game.

Latest posts