Iowa vs. Ohio State

I know the final score was a 10 point margin but having watched the game it did not feel like Iowa crushed them.

They did in the last 5 minutes or so. Kind of came out of nowhere as the rest was back and forth.

I know the final score was a 10 point margin but having watched the game it did not feel like Iowa crushed them.

I'd say this as well. It was a tough contest the whole way thru. A 3-5 point contest turns into a 8-10 point contest at the end when your opponent sends you to the line to extend the game. If you hit your FTs, you end up with larger margin of victory than the game represented.

Craft is easily their most productive player.

His 13-15 fouls/game are worth ~3 steals, 5-6 pts on defense at least, with multiple missed shots and disrupted plays, plus an injury or 2 requiring medical attention.

Yes, but The subject matter of 1st 4 posts all mention Iowa State...

I think if Iowa beats tOSU and MICH the program should no longer have the complex that Iowa 'still hasnt arrived', or 'still needs signature wins'.

If Iowa beats the spread (yet again) and wind handily vs these 'marquee names' then may even the AP will also see what KenPom, Sagarin, and the BPI has been saying for weeks, that this Iowa team is Top 10 and deserving of that 2-3 seed.

Not worried about beating the spread tonight, I just want a win. I thought Iowa would cover easily against a banged up MSU squad and we didn't come close to doing that.

At Ohio State we got one of Dev's best games and protected the ball very well (especially the bench). It was as close to a full 40 minutes of good ball as the Hawks have shown all year. I believe teams have finally understood that the key to the Iowa offense is transition and if OSU gets back and it's half court against half court it will be an ugly game with the outcome a toss up.

Some of the polish is off the OSU apple and Craft while still getting the benefit of the doubt he isn't getting the superstar treatment in foul avoidance where he can do no wrong. He probably only gets about 10 fouls a game now before the 4th is whistled.

The key IMO to this game will be the bench play from Josh, Gabe, and JU in that order. The one big difference in OSU is that Hayes is now established as part of the offense. He's a load and one reason I don't want to see us trying to beat them in a half court game.

I think it depends on which Ohio State shows up... maybe they are finished with their post Iowa beat down melt down.

"...I believe teams have finally understood that the key to the Iowa offense is transition and if OSU gets back..."

Even when teams know they have to stop the transition game and take measures to do so, Iowa has 4-5 tremendous finishers at the rim (+75%) that are very difficult to stop in transition. (white, Dev, Uthoff, Gabe, Mel) They maybe able to limit the qty, but not limit the quality, and the price you pay for that is fewer offensive rebounds and fewer 2nd chance points.

Iowa will run and be successful at it, just not as many times, which is a 'win' for tOSU, but at the price of few 2nd chain scores.

If both teams play to their strengths, and iowa gets them in foul trouble (pls call fouls on Craft) Iowa covers the spread and maybe blows them out again.

Transition IS a big part of our game for sure. Msu did an excellent job of hounding our outlet pass which really held us in check. Good coaching move by izzo my gizzo

"...I believe teams have finally understood that the key to the Iowa offense is transition and if OSU gets back..."

Even when teams know they have to stop the transition game and take measures to do so, Iowa has 4-5 tremendous finishers at the rim (+75%) that are very difficult to stop in transition. (white, Dev, Uthoff, Gabe, Mel) They maybe able to limit the qty, but not limit the quality, and the price you pay for that is fewer offensive rebounds and fewer 2nd chance points.

Iowa will run and be successful at it, just not as many times, which is a 'win' for tOSU, but at the price of few 2nd chain scores.

If both teams play to their strengths, and iowa gets them in foul trouble (pls call fouls on Craft) Iowa covers the spread and maybe blows them out again.

Plus that means they have to play slow and won't get offensive rebounds meaning so unless they get scorching hot from three, we're still in the game. Plus, we're going to draw fouls.

I keep thinking about how big of a game Saturday could be. Of course tonight's a big game too. I wish every team in this conference wasn't decent/good. It's be nice to play, like, a TCU every once in a while just for the break.

"...Plus that means they have to play slow and won't get offensive rebounds meaning so unless they get scorching hot from three, we're still in the game. Plus, we're going to draw fouls...."

I like the intensity of IOWAs defense behind the home crowd. I think the home crowd will be real peeved and will be whipped into frenzy. If tOSU goes deep into the shot clock, look for Iowa length (white, Dev, uthoff) to force their perimetere guys into tough 3s at the shot clock. Hard to make and hard to make at hig efficiency level.

I still think Iowa covers and if they craft isn't allowed free reign to mug Gesell and Clemmons on every possession IOWAs wins handily.

I sure hope no one is looking past this game, especially the players. Ohio State is still capable of beating anybody on any given night and Iowa needs to protect the home court.
The Hawks haven't looked past anyone this season, I don't think. Just have had difficulty closing games (obviously). They'll be ready to play.

Another double-digit win would be awesome.

Latest posts