***Iowa vs Maryland doesn't belong in the Big 10 Conference thread***

There was a sequence where MD got three consecutive offensive rebounds, then scored. Then Garza missed the front end of the 1-1. Could have pulled into a tie. I think that was the turning point.

Again, no shame here folks. MD hasn't lost at home this year. Tough team...they'll go far in the tourney.
Exactly why I’m not blaming the refs. Iowa played okay and I certainly think there are some good things to take from this one, but we just simply didn’t play well enough to beat a team like Maryland on the road.

Exactly why I’m not blaming the refs. Iowa played okay and I certainly think there are some good things to take from this one, but we just simply didn’t play well enough to beat a team like Maryland on the road.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Can't it be possible that we shot poorly AND the refs screwed us bad? That's the game I saw. I saw that the refs were making it extremely hard on us, but we were still a good enough team to win if we shot a little better.

People claiming the officiating didn't cost us the game truly don't understand how Garza could shoot 20 free throws every game if the game was officiated evenly. Smith was molesting the shit out of him, especially in the second half.
Home brewed officiating, plus some embedded Iowa hate in the crew, makes Garza pretty much a non-factor. That said, Maryland made the big plays, Iowa didn't. Kind of a typical road game in the conference.

The last two games Iowa is shooting the three like a solid NIT entrant.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Can't it be possible that we shot poorly AND the refs screwed us bad? That's the game I saw. I saw that the refs were making it extremely hard on us, but we were still a good enough team to win if we shot a little better.
Two shot technical, two missed front ends of one and ones...often ends in sorrow.

Home brewed officiating, plus some embedded Iowa hate in the crew, makes Garza pretty much a non-factor. That said, Maryland made the big plays, Iowa didn't. Kind of a typical road game in the conference.

The last two games Iowa is shooting the three like a solid NIT entrant.

One really bad shooting night which ended in a gritty victory followed by a decidedly average three point shooting night on the road and we've got a comment here about the NIT.

We know on the road you're not going to get calls. The fouls for the game were even.

The thing that put Iowa behind the 8-ball was the stupid fouls in the first half by Garza and Kreiner. If they play more than 5 minutes each the first half, this game is different and a lot better percentage of Iowa winning.

We know on the road you're not going to get calls. The fouls for the game were even.

The thing that put Iowa behind the 8-ball was the stupid fouls in the first half by Garza and Kreiner. If they play more than 5 minutes each the first half, this game is different and a lot better percentage of Iowa winning.

Foul calls being even for the game has less than nothing to do with whether or not the game was called even or not.

Yep, Iowa played good, not good enough to win on the road against a top 15 team. I didn't really expect it. They played pretty tough tho. The ingredients were all there with Cordell stepping up and playing well. CJ really had an off night and foul trouble early kept this one out of reach. No issues with the refs, you can't expect calls on the road. Protect home court! Period.

I haven't read through all this, but I imagine Connor is a bum cause he only scored 3 points or did people actually watch the game and his impact on things last night? I just need the cliff notes.

I haven't read through all this, but I imagine Connor is a bum cause he only scored 3 points or did people actually watch the game and his impact on things last night? I just need the cliff notes.

I didn't read through it all but I thought Connor played well, he made some SWEET passes last night that led to some easy points. So while he didn't have many points he still made a big impact on the scoring.

To your other comment, no, I'm not gonna blame the officials at all especially when some of it was self inflicted (Kreiner's T was one that comes to mind). I credit Maryland for getting Garza into foul trouble and taking Iowa out of it's offensive flow. The main thing I'm critical with Iowa's play was all the 2nd and 3rd chances Iowa kept giving up on the defensive boards, a few times I saw our guys just standing around. Otherwise I thought Iowa played decent, had a few more shots went down they may have pulled off the upset.

That’s fine that you saw it that way. It stinks but I just go into the road games knowing that you’ll have to overcome some calls. Iowa got some good whistles in our home stand, the difference is we don’t notice them when they are going our way.

The thing is Garza’s first two fouls were on him. They were self inflicted by Iowa. The double foul was a horrible call no question (I agree that tall bald ref is the worst and always seems to have it out for us). Even with all that Iowa was right there hanging around then they couldn’t get a defensive rebound, then Garza missed the front end of a one and one. Wieskamp missed an easy put back in transition. I thought our defense, and in particular our end of shot clock defense was atrocious last night. How is it with the shot clock winding down Maryland can set one screen and make one pass and get a wide open 3 point shot. Honestly, I think we are lucky we didn’t get blown out by 15+ last night.

Again not the end of the world, I still took some positives from this game and I think it’s another good learning experience for the team. Hopefully we can play a better game Sunday and beat a red hot Illinois team.

I'm critical of Kriener getting the T. I'm critical of all the missed wide open 3s. I'm critical of the second chance points (even tho a lot of those were unlucky bounces. I'm critical of some of the fouls on Garza. I'm critical of CJ getting bumped out of bounds in a huge moment. I'm extremely critical of anticipation fouls on one end (like the one after the no look pass where the ref clearly got so impressed with the pass he just had to make it an and 1) and letting our players get mauled under the basket on the other end. But my biggest gripe of them all is how they didn't let Maryland breathe on us the second the game was out of reach. Three times we got shooting fouls at the end of the game when there was minimal contact. That shit made it blatantly obvious that the officials knew exactly what they did. I don't know if it was intentional or if they just got caught up in pleasing the crowd, but they knew.

That’s fine that you saw it that way. It stinks but I just go into the road games knowing that you’ll have to overcome some calls. Iowa got some good whistles in our home stand, the difference is we don’t notice them when they are going our way.

The thing is Garza’s first two fouls were on him. They were self inflicted by Iowa. The double foul was a horrible call no question (I agree that tall bald ref is the worst and always seems to have it out for us). Even with all that Iowa was right there hanging around then they couldn’t get a defensive rebound, then Garza missed the front end of a one and one. Wieskamp missed an easy put back in transition. I thought our defense, and in particular our end of shot clock defense was atrocious last night. How is it with the shot clock winding down Maryland can set one screen and make one pass and get a wide open 3 point shot. Honestly, I think we are lucky we didn’t get blown out by 15+ last night.

Again not the end of the world, I still took some positives from this game and I think it’s another good learning experience for the team. Hopefully we can play a better game Sunday and beat a red hot Illinois team.

Who's "we" when you say we dont notice when we get calls? I know I'm not included in "we" cause I notice. I sure didn't notice us getting calls against Wisconsin tho.

The first 2 calls were on Garza (or the ball handler on the moving screen) but the last 2 were a joke. Until the game was in hand and they started calling everything on Maryland, all of their calls were meaningless calls that didn't hurt them. Nothing under the rim where we get to shoot free throws. Those games drive me nuts. It's either completely random or they know the art of throwing in fouls to "even it out" without hurting the team. Either way, the foul calls on us were killers that awarded points while the fouls on them weren't

Yep, Iowa played good, not good enough to win on the road against a top 15 team. I didn't really expect it. They played pretty tough tho. The ingredients were all there with Cordell stepping up and playing well. CJ really had an off night and foul trouble early kept this one out of reach. No issues with the refs, you can't expect calls on the road. Protect home court! Period.
I’m as big of a CJF guy as there is but I thought he had a bad night last night. The scary thing is he looked like he had tired legs and was a step slow, so I hope that’s not the case on Sunday too. The B1G season is a grind, and especially this week for Iowa.

His shooting was probably bound to come back down to earth a little bit, so I guess we shouldn’t be surprised by that. He’s been so good that 3/8 from 3 seems like an off shooting night (granted one was in essence garbage time). He did miss a bunch of those mid range pull-ups he typically makes.

One really bad shooting night which ended in a gritty victory followed by a decidedly average three point shooting night on the road and we've got a comment here about the NIT.
It was said in jest, three point shooting the last two games has been decidedly NIT level.

Maryland was the better team, made the key plays, was playing at home, it isn't that complicated. Beat Illinois, a bigger game vs a border state.

Latest posts