***Iowa vs Maryland doesn't belong in the Big 10 Conference thread***

Officials were less than hoped for. T on Garza vs Wisconsin and Kriener vs Maryland, CAN'T happen. Loser moves.

Chirping like that and getting Ts for it is stupid, but then they see the head guy getting T'd up all the time so part of the blame should fall on Fran for creating that kind of culture.

CJ got hip-checked out-of-bounds: Iowa turnover.

JoeW got fouled on a put back rebound. Two other Iowa players didn’t rebound his miss.

Both of those happened at key points.

A much greater impact on this game is Garza and Kreiner picking up legit called stupid fouls. That’s on them, not the refs.

The refs had little impact on this game; Iowa’s bone-headed plays and poor shooting were the impacts on this game. That’s just the facts.

And they were still competitive.

I think the ridiculous calls on Garza in the 2nd half had a huge impact on the game. A handful of key calls in huge moments hurt bad. CJ and Wieskamp missing so many wide open 3s hurt bad. Not getting enough defensive rebounds hurt bad. Couldn't overcome all 3.

Anyone who has watched B1G basketball for more than a few years knows this was a typical road game in the conference. The road team won't shoot better than the home team and the crowd will possibly influence a couple of calls.

The bottom line is ... in a competitive conference, the road team has to be 10 points or so better than the home team to win the game. That's just the way it is.

21 points on 9 of 19 shooting all while playing scared of fouling is pretty decent. Also getting fouls from legal post ups twice because you physically dominated so bad that the refs felt bad for the opponent is pretty good.
He played a nice game, no doubt. He didn't play smart with a couple of the fouls, the refs hosed him on a couple...thus, he ended up on the bench way too much to beat a more talented team in their home building.

Chirping like that and getting Ts for it is stupid, but then they see the head guy getting T'd up all the time so part of the blame should fall on Fran for creating that kind of culture.
Yes, that is accurate...Fran chewing out Kriener for a dumb T is kind of ironic.

That said, Fran has had less crazy moments this year, to date.

Anyone who has watched B1G basketball for more than a few years knows this was a typical road game in the conference. The road team won't shoot better than the home team and the crowd will possibly influence a couple of calls.

The bottom line is ... in a competitive conference, the road team has to be 10 points or so better than the home team to win the game. That's just the way it is.

Fran's quote sums it up. Not a lot of analysis needed. It would have been a huge win at Maryland. OK, they lost. Now beat Illinois and the other home games and find a way to pick off one or two of the road games.

Maryland dedicated their best, quick, lengthy players to keep tight on him. If you force CJF to try to drive rather than shoot, you have him out of his strength. And with the bigs on the bench with fouls, it got even tighter for CJF.
CJF is fine on the driving the ball. The one-off is that some guy named Smith was zoning in the lane.

I know that's the way it is. I also understand how easy it would be to be influenced by the crowd. If I was a ref, I would rather make a call that made 15,000 people cheer than make one that made 15,000 people boo. It doesn't make it any less frustrating for me tho. Especially the stupid anticipation calls. Those bug the shit out of me. At least pretend you care if there is contact before you blow your whistle.

CJ got hip-checked out-of-bounds: Iowa turnover.

JoeW got fouled on a put back rebound. Two other Iowa players didn’t rebound his miss.

Both of those happened at key points.

A much greater impact on this game is Garza and Kreiner picking up legit called stupid fouls. That’s on them, not the refs.

The refs had little impact on this game; Iowa’s bone-headed plays and poor shooting were the impacts on this game. That’s just the facts.

And they were still competitive.
That hip check play is even worse after you dissect it. The ref couldn't have actually known if CJ stepped out of bounds or not; he was looking straight forward watching CJ get shoved. It either should have been a foul on #2 or a no call.

giphy.gif

1-31-2020-11-48-36-AM.jpg

Over the back only counts as a foul when we do it
This is what I was talking about at the time. Smith clearly goes over the back on Connor and then the ref calls a foul on CJF for something much less.

giphy.gif

That hip check play is even worse after you dissect it. The ref couldn't have actually known if CJ stepped out of bounds or not; he was looking straight forward watching CJ get shoved. It either should have been a foul on #2 or a no call.

giphy.gif

1-31-2020-11-48-36-AM.jpg

This is what I was talking about at the time. Smith clearly goes over the back on Connor and then the ref calls a foul on CJF for something much less.

giphy.gif
Most fair and seasoned refs probably would only call the hip check foul if and only if CJ for example stepped on the line, which he did. It should have been a delayed call foul if you notice the foot on the line. Maryland guy gained an advantage and possession of the ball on an obvious foul. It was below average officiating and a below average performance by Iowa. Thus, a road loss. Plus Maryland's PG had near a career game vs Iowa.

CJF is a freshman and his game is incomplete. It is OK if you at least think of such things DDT.
Thats why I said “fine”. It’s not a strength. It’s not a weakness.

He has been driving, planting, and shooting or going to the basket. He wasn’t as successful this game —Nobody on Iowa did much driving into the lane or to the basket because of Smith.

It’s okay. Every player has non-strengths. CJ is a very good catch and shooter. He’s a fine drive and shooter.

No surprise that any coach would want to have him drive and shoot rather than catch and shoot.

We’re saying the same thing.

You’re not taking into account Smith’s presence in the lane (he caused Garza to get out of his strength into just his fine game too)
Or
You just want to argue
(which is a man thing - I get it)

I wasn’t a big fan of some calls. But the better team won last night. And the better team won the 1st time we played. I hoped to win but didn’t think we would win.

I will be disappointed if we lose Sunday. When they showed Illinois’ next 5 games last night I said they are about to come back to the pack.

I know that's the way it is. I also understand how easy it would be to be influenced by the crowd. If I was a ref, I would rather make a call that made 15,000 people cheer than make one that made 15,000 people boo. It doesn't make it any less frustrating for me tho. Especially the stupid anticipation calls. Those bug the shit out of me. At least pretend you care if there is contact before you blow your whistle.

It happens ... :)

Thats why I said “fine”. It’s not a strength. It’s not a weakness.

He has been driving, planting, and shooting or going to the basket. He wasn’t as successful this game —Nobody on Iowa did much driving into the lane or to the basket because of Smith.

It’s okay. Every player has non-strengths. CJ is a very good catch and shooter. He’s a fine drive and shooter.

No surprise that any coach would want to have him drive and shoot rather than catch and shoot.

We’re saying the same thing.

You’re not taking into account Smith’s presence in the lane (he caused Garza to get out of his strength into just his fine game too)
Or
You just want to argue
(which is a man thing - I get it)
I love CJF why would we argue?

Latest posts