Iowa vs ISU Recruiting in Iowa

Would you rather have Rodgers the #87 rated safety who is form Iowa or Lile the #28 rated safety who is from Michigan?

I could really care less if we have a roster of Iowa kids or not. I want the best kids we can get regardless of where they are from.

I'm not gonna break that down, but at first glance is that 2 a year? I see a couple SRs, a couple JRs, a few sophomores....

And CJ is the TE...he won the job.

How many D1 kids come out of Iowa per year? It's not many.

No idea. I just think it's funny when a fan rips on the instate Iowa talent. Than the team walks out with half it's lineup of Iowa kids. 2 a kid that are starters is a lot. Way more than any other state.

False. Iowa offered Bevins and Hill after they had committed to ISU. ISU did not beat Iowa for those recruits. If both schools had offered prior to a decision being made then it's a different story.

So, if I'm understanding your logic correctly, when a kid commits to a school and then another school enters the picture with an offer, he visits that school and still says "no thanks", that latest offer doesn't count because it came at a later date? Let's be honest, kids want to play for Coach Rhoads. Going forward, I look for ISU's recruiting to really start picking up whether it be in Iowa or not.

Starting QB
2nd best WR
TE who had most receptions
Guard
Center
Defensive end
MLB
OLB
FS
SS

all those are starters on Iowa's team that are Iowa. If Iowa has so little instate talent than why does Iowa keep signing these kids and why has Iowa been so succesful with them? That's near 1/2 the starting lineup.

Some of Iowa's best teams come with Iowa talent being their best talent.

My statement wasn't opinion, it was fact.

All the focus on star ratings.The Miller kid that picked up an ISU offer last year enrolled early and contributed this season as a frosh. He was one that couldn't even get a response from the Iowa Football office when he sent tape to IC. Once ISU offered and he accepted his coach got a pouty call from Reese Morgan wondering why Iowa never got a shot.Pretty sure he could have helped on coverage teams for the Hawks this year.

I know for a fact this is true. this will be one Iowa will regret getting away.

No idea. I just think it's funny when a fan rips on the instate Iowa talent. Than the team walks out with half it's lineup of Iowa kids. 2 a kid that are starters is a lot. Way more than any other state.

It's not ripping on the kids that DO make it to D1 schools. We have some talent. The number of recruits is the kicker. I was pointing out that Iowa has roughly 2 per class that go on to start (I realize that fluctuates and I am certainly not gonna go look that up). But if we have 8 starters out of 22 that are from Iowa...that really isn't that many.

I don't know off hand, but how many of ISU's starters are from Iowa?

It's not ripping on the kids that DO make it to D1 schools. We have some talent. The number of recruits is the kicker. I was pointing out that Iowa has roughly 2 per class that go on to start (I realize that fluctuates and I am certainly not gonna go look that up). But if we have 8 starters out of 22 that are from Iowa...that really isn't that many.

I don't know off hand, but how many of ISU's starters are from Iowa?

5 I think.

Tuftee and Lenz on offense
Knott, McDonough, and Neal on defense (Neal is kind of a starter, became one after Maggitt tore his knee up)

False....
1) Darboh- Michigan
2)Hill- ISU
3)Rogers- ISU
4)Harrington-Track Alabama
5) Carber-undecided
6)Seeley- ISU
7)Malloy- Iowa
8)Shaw-undecided
9)Rathje- undecided
10)Burnside-undecided

The only kid on this list that is not easily found elsewhere is Darboh.

There are plenty of Malloys, Hills and Rodgers running around if you want them, or better.

I know for a fact this is true. this will be one Iowa will regret getting away.

I have no doubt that Miller has a chance to be very good. However, as has been mentioned several times, Iowa has a very good track record of developing that lesser-known talent. That said, Iowa simply cannot go out and offer scholarships to every diamond in the rough. The Hawkeyes have had great success in developing the Chad Greenways, Brett Greenwoods and Dallas Clarks but they also need the Christian Ballards, Adrian Clayborns and Brian Bulagas.

False. Iowa offered Bevins and Hill after they had committed to ISU. ISU did not beat Iowa for those recruits. If both schools had offered prior to a decision being made then it's a different story.

Nice work, that is a new Hawkeye excuse that I haven't heard before.

I will put that in the bank with 'it's their superbowl', and 'we'd win if it was in November'.

I will put that in the bank with 'it's their superbowl', and 'we'd win if it was in November'.

It's not a good excuse and it most likely isn't the reason those kids are committed to ISU, but if you can't see a difference in when kids are offered you are being very ignorant. Getting to kids early and showing constant interest IS a determining factor in where a lot of kids go.

It's not a good excuse and it most likely isn't the reason those kids are committed to ISU, but if you can't see a difference in when kids are offered you are being very ignorant. Getting to kids early and showing constant interest IS a determining factor in where a lot of kids go.

exactly. Iowa has gotten plenty of recruits from bigger programs that offered later but the recruit stuck with his Iowa commitment.

I guess I'm not sure how snowcraig thinks this is unheard of. It's the biggest reason for offering early for crying out loud.

I have no doubt that Miller has a chance to be very good. However, as has been mentioned several times, Iowa has a very good track record of developing that lesser-known talent. That said, Iowa simply cannot go out and offer scholarships to every diamond in the rough. The Hawkeyes have had great success in developing the Chad Greenways, Brett Greenwoods and Dallas Clarks but they also need the Christian Ballards, Adrian Clayborns and Brian Bulagas.

The real issue isn't that Miller is going to make or break either program. It's that the football office isn't playing as nicely as ISU in its own back yard. The phone call to Miller's coach has become a bit of a legend in local circles. Coaching circles at the Iowa HS level are pretty small. The arrogance wafting through these circles from Johnson county isn't making things any easier to identify, relate to, and secure "lesser-known talent" within the borders of the state. Iowa football is highly dependent upon in-state talent every year. Our big names come from all over the country, but our depth and special teams come from Iowa.

The real issue isn't that Miller is going to make or break either program. It's that the football office isn't playing as nicely as ISU in its own back yard. The phone call to Miller's coach has become a bit of a legend in local circles. Coaching circles at the Iowa HS level are pretty small. The arrogance wafting through these circles from Johnson county isn't making things any easier to identify, relate to, and secure "lesser-known talent" within the borders of the state. Iowa football is highly dependent upon in-state talent every year. Our big names come from all over the country, but our depth and special teams come from Iowa.

I think you know as well as I do that stories can become fabricated. All it takes is for someone in such 'circle' to make one comment and then it's off to the races. Maybe Morgan did make a call to Miller's HS coach, it doesn't mean he was being all 'pouty' or 'whiney' or whatever other people are calling him. It's all hearsay in my book. Also, I don't think Iowa not offering an unrated single A football player from Brooklyn, IA as a sign of arrogance, nor an inability to secure the talent in this state. Again, Iowa cannot go out and offer a scholarship to every diamond in the rough, this isn't the SEC. There are rules in the B10 about oversigning.

I feel at this time it is appropriate of me to apologize for bringing all of the ISU trolls to the board today...

Rumors can get out of control. I heard the story of the phone call from Miller himself.

Iowa can't recruit everywhere. But I do think it's a little weak that a lifelong Hawk fan (Miller) was beating down the doors and doing Iowa camps through high school trying to get a look. After a single visit to Ames and some individual workouts with their S&C coaches he garners a D1 offer on the spot. The ISU staff identified a diamond in the rough and thus far he is contributing ahead of other kids with better star ratings. Iowa wouldn't even sniff at the plate he set in front of them.

No matter how it's spun there are some strong perceptions among local coaches and players that ISU is willing to look in places where Iowa simply refuses. As long as the Hawks are winning, though, nobody will question their formula.

Middle of the road then. Anything prior to a November/December offer can't really be considered a fallback by any means.

It certainly can if recruits higher on the board committed elsewhere before then allowing the staff to move on to their next targets. In fact, that's the very definition of a fallback recruit.

I'm not saying either of those two players were last resort players.

Rumors can get out of control. I heard the story of the phone call from Miller himself.

Iowa can't recruit everywhere. But I do think it's a little weak that a lifelong Hawk fan (Miller) was beating down the doors and doing Iowa camps through high school trying to get a look. After a single visit to Ames and some individual workouts with their S&C coaches he garners a D1 offer on the spot. The ISU staff identified a diamond in the rough and thus far he is contributing ahead of other kids with better star ratings. Iowa wouldn't even sniff at the plate he set in front of them.

No matter how it's spun there are some strong perceptions among local coaches and players that ISU is willing to look in places where Iowa simply refuses. As long as the Hawks are winning, though, nobody will question their formula.

And that some pretty strong spin right there. So he sent a video to Morgan and he didn't get back to him. That's unfortunate. From what I read he didn't even attend the 2010 Iowa camp. I will tell you one thing though, I am not going to question Iowa's formula because they didn't offer a kid that has no hype (outside of Brooklyn), from a single A school on a team that hasn't produced a DI athlete in decades. If he ends up being someone who slipped under Iowas radar, good for him! I won't lose any sleep over it though.

Latest posts