Iowa Up to #31 in 247 Sports Recruiting Rankings

We don't get many skill position position players drafted. Thats the problem. It's easy to take a lineman and coach them up, but skill players either have it, or they don't. Can't coach speed, instincts, etc. We lack talent at the skill positions, or that talent sits on the bench and transfers because KF favors the player that practices well over a kid that gets it done on Saturdays. Combine that with KF being one of the worst game day coaches in college football, and you get Iowa Football.

As a former coach, there is so much fail in this comment.

"It's easy to take a lineman and coach them up,"
Sure it is. Just ask Kirk. EVERY offensive lineman he coaches, including the walk-ons, gets drafted by the NFL. After all, it's easy to coach up a lineman! (rolls eyes)

"KF favors the player that practices well over a kid that gets it done on Saturdays"
If you don't see the kid do anything during practice, why would you put him in on Saturday in the first place? What do you think this is, a "give everyone a participation ribbon" league? EVERY kid has good highlight reels. That's what they're for - to promote the kid. To find out if he really has the stuff, you have to evaluate him in practice. If he doesn't evaluate very high or work very hard, then why give him minutes on Saturday; especially if there are guys who DO work hard and DO evaluate high. (I know, I know.... Allen Iverson. That's the standard argument. But if Allen never works hard in practice and still plays big minutes, why should anyone work hard in practice... the next thing you know, they aren't working hard in games. Which is EXACTLY what happened to the teams he played for. You never saw Jordan take a play off in any sport at any time.)

I'm not going to argue about the lack of talent at skill positions. We traditionally do not recruit the skill positions well. And as another thread on this board said eloquently if KF were the coach of the Falcons, they would have won because he would not have passed and then got sacked for a huge loss that put them out of field goal range. Our problem is that our offense has been very predictable and not vertical - I'll give Brian some time to see if he breaks out of that rut.

I think the players we have are good at WR it's just they haven't had good coaches to teach them how to play the position,partly because of the routes they were running.Hopefully things will change with new blood.

I think the players we have are good at WR it's just they haven't had good coaches to teach them how to play the position,partly because of the routes they were running.Hopefully things will change with new blood.

Some truth here. No way we don't score a sleeper here and there, or that a receiver just could improve enough during his tenure here working and training to be able to get open, catch a pass, just every so often. Hell, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then, but in our case no nuts are found most years. Things will likely change, BF is not blind or stupid imo to what's been in front of us Saturday's since GD started his tenure.

Latest posts