Iowa Up to #31 in 247 Sports Recruiting Rankings

We went down to 37 from 31. That's it for me. Kirk has to go.
Here is where some of you lose me. If KF last 15 years are so awful, then why were the last 15 years of Hayden so great?

Kirk Ferentz's last 15 years:
124-68 (65% winning%) Good for 23rd best winning % overall and 19th of all P5 teams
2 B1G titles
3 BCS bowl appearances
75-46 B1G record (62% winning%)

Hayden Fry's last 15 years:
106-65-6 (62% winning%) Good for 27th best winning % overall and 23rd of all P5 teams
2 B1G titles
2 BCS bowl appearances
69-47-5 B1G record (57% winning%)

good stuff there. The thing about Hayden's tenure is this. In the early days when they won 6 to 8 games in a year the fans were delirious. Six to 8 wins was such a contrast to what came before.

Now 6 wins sucks, 7 wins is groan and 8 wins is ok.

During the last two years we are 4-5 vs Top 20 teams.

Andddddd, like I responded earlier.

Ummmm, you do realize that most good schools go .500 or so vs top 20 right?

That also kind of blows the theory that we got that record by not playing anyone. Facing 9 top 20 teams over 27 games is 1/3 of your games vs top competition.

These are '15 and '16 games:

Wisconsin 4-6 vs top 20
Michigan 4-4 vs top 20
MSU 5-5 vs top 20
PSU 2-6 vs top 20
Nebraska 2-4 vs top 20 (talk about weak ass schedule, 6 top 20 teams in 2 years?)

I like most of this class, however the 2 things I don't like

To much mac poaching after failures and running recruits off

WR is still a major crappy recruiting class over all again

Yeah your wrong UD.

HF beat Iowa State 16 years in a row, most of them woodshed style. KF, just a loss or two under .500.... That statistic and that one alone does it for me when comparing the two.
Then you can join your friends over in Ames and celebrate the victory over Iowa as your super bowl and then go hide the rest of the year.

The Iowa staff is doing a great job. And they're not done yet!!!
And now they're 38th not even 24 hours later.

Do you have any idea how fucking stupid and irrelevant these rankings are? You're a grown man, ffs.

There would be more objectivity watching Rachel Maddow and Glenn Beck argue after they're both about 8 beers deep.

Then you can join your friends over in Ames and celebrate the victory over Iowa as your super bowl and then go hide the rest of the year.
You need to up your troll game. The whole Ickehawk impersonation thing failed, but your Cyfan shtick isn't any better. Write some original material.

Last edited:

At least we knew we had a better than 50% chance of beating one of the worst college football programs in history when HF was the HC. Now no sane Hawkeyes fan looks forward that game in September.

At least we knew we had a better than 50% chance of beating one of the worst college football programs in history when HF was the HC. Now no sane Hawkeyes fan looks forward that game in September.
No sane fan should ever look forward to that game, period. It's completely worthless. Beating ISU has zero significance because it's expected, and when we lose it's Meltdown City. Iowa has a huge budget, big time facilities, and a high dollar staff. There is no reason this team should ever lose to ISU on paper, so the only time it becomes even a little bit noteworthy is when they squeak one out and beat us. It's a no-win for the Hawks.

Rube Hawkeye "fans" and farmers who went to Iowa State like that game, not actual football fans who want to see real competition instead of flukey non-con games.

You want a yearly rivalry game, play Pitt instead. Those games are always exciting and competitive, and they're actually a legit football team.

good stuff there. The thing about Hayden's tenure is this. In the early days when they won 6 to 8 games in a year the fans were delirious. Six to 8 wins was such a contrast to what came before.

Now 6 wins sucks, 7 wins is groan and 8 wins is ok.

You are missing a huge part of this. It's the dysfunction. HF was a communicative straight shooter. His teams (outside of prevent defense late in games with leads that prevented more than one win) didn't keep running into a brick wall head first and then wonder why their head hurt (play calling).

He did not make it a habit to dis Iowa. About the only thing he talked about was the difference in state final track times in MN v Florida and how it was necessary to recruit warmer states. He did when he applied to USC say that USC offered a faster track to a NC than did Iowa.

KF continually trolls Iowa about how bad it is to recruit. If he doesn't like it leave, but stop it.

From 81 through 87 HF never won less than 8 games in a shorter season. His 6 win 88 team was actually pretty darn good and the had only 4 losses.

From 90 to 98 he had 4 seasons of 8 or more wins with 10 wins and a tie in one year again in shorter seasons.

He also had a 7 win season. During that time, Fry was losing a lot of assistants due to demand from other programs.

KF hasn't had much change.

Andddddd, like I responded earlier.

Ummmm, you do realize that most good schools go .500 or so vs top 20 right?

That also kind of blows the theory that we got that record by not playing anyone. Facing 9 top 20 teams over 27 games is 1/3 of your games vs top competition.

These are '15 and '16 games:

Wisconsin 4-6 vs top 20
Michigan 4-4 vs top 20
MSU 5-5 vs top 20
PSU 2-6 vs top 20
Nebraska 2-4 vs top 20 (talk about weak ass schedule, 6 top 20 teams in 2 years?)

Dean - I love most of what you post, but the one thing conveniently missing from this is records against teams we are double digit favorites against, which I believe is far and away the worst in all of the P5.

I love how competitive we are against top competition, don't get me wrong. We rarely get blown out and 50% of the time we can expect a straight up win. However, where I think most people have an issue with KF, myself included, is the mind-blowing losses to teams we are favored to beat by double digits. It's something between 11-13 losses in the last 10 years. All of our "peers" in the B1G don't have that many losses COMBINED in those years.

Dean - I love most of what you post, but the one thing conveniently missing from this is records against teams we are double digit favorites against, which I believe is far and away the worst in all of the P5.

I love how competitive we are against top competition, don't get me wrong. We rarely get blown out and 50% of the time we can expect a straight up win. However, where I think most people have an issue with KF, myself included, is the mind-blowing losses to teams we are favored to beat by double digits. It's something between 11-13 losses in the last 10 years. All of our "peers" in the B1G don't have that many losses COMBINED in those years.

Losing to double digit underdogs is actually my #1 complaint about KF and his Iowa program. It happens so often, that it isn't just dropping a game you should (all teams have that happen). It is a systemic way in which they approach those teams. I really don't have a resource that points out to me easily the point spread and what teams lost, and I'm really not going to research all of that. Yet it isn't lost on me that Iowa loses games like that, like I said it drives me nuts, and if KF would clean just the ONE SINGLE thing up, we would go from a 8 win team most years (8.26 wins over the last 15 years) to a on average 9 win team a year.

You are missing a huge part of this. It's the dysfunction. HF was a communicative straight shooter. His teams (outside of prevent defense late in games with leads that prevented more than one win) didn't keep running into a brick wall head first and then wonder why their head hurt (play calling).

He did not make it a habit to dis Iowa. About the only thing he talked about was the difference in state final track times in MN v Florida and how it was necessary to recruit warmer states. He did when he applied to USC say that USC offered a faster track to a NC than did Iowa.

KF continually trolls Iowa about how bad it is to recruit. If he doesn't like it leave, but stop it.

From 81 through 87 HF never won less than 8 games in a shorter season. His 6 win 88 team was actually pretty darn good and the had only 4 losses.

From 90 to 98 he had 4 seasons of 8 or more wins with 10 wins and a tie in one year again in shorter seasons.

He also had a 7 win season. During that time, Fry was losing a lot of assistants due to demand from other programs.

KF hasn't had much change.

You and your dysfunction narrative.

Hayden was, is legend. Loved that guy.

KF has faults, but he is a straight shooter. You not liking him or how he communicates doesn't change that.

Losing to double digit underdogs is actually my #1 complaint about KF and his Iowa program. It happens so often, that it isn't just dropping a game you should (all teams have that happen). It is a systemic way in which they approach those teams. I really don't have a resource that points out to me easily the point spread and what teams lost, and I'm really not going to research all of that. Yet it isn't lost on me that Iowa loses games like that, like I said it drives me nuts, and if KF would clean just the ONE SINGLE thing up, we would go from a 8 win team most years (8.26 wins over the last 15 years) to a on average 9 win team a year.

His record against opponents we have been heavily favored, is one thing I won't defend.

You and your dysfunction narrative.

Hayden was, is legend. Loved that guy.

KF has faults, but he is a straight shooter. You not liking him or how he communicates doesn't change that.

Call it what you want, but having such a dismal passing game and the CJ situation at the outback certainly is the opposite of functional. Straight shooters don't play games on contracts and give awards to coaches who made huge career ending mistakes for those under his charge. Quiet and straight shooting is not the same. He is quiet. He is not a straight shooter. Being predictable is not the same as straight shooting.

Call it what you want, but having such a dismal passing game and the CJ situation at the outback certainly is the opposite of functional. Straight shooters don't play games on contracts and give awards to coaches who made huge career ending mistakes for those under his charge. Quiet and straight shooting is not the same. He is quiet. He is not a straight shooter. Being predictable is not the same as straight shooting.

Passing game was disfunctional. Sure. Not the program.

Contracts? WTF does that have to do with being a straight shooter. Getting a kick ass, albeit absurd, contract is not playing games.

The rest, is your opinion. So you call it what you want. You have a strange ax to grind with Iowa, grind away.

Good day Gold.

I'm sure Michigan's provenance in the HF era has been equal to that in the KF era, same with Penn St. Illinois was also better in the 80's and 90's.

Whereas Michigan State, Wisconsin and NW were all powerhouses? In the 80s, especially, only MSU could be called "respectable".

They didn't look forward to it from 1980-1982, either...

Latest posts