Iowa, the bubble, and Liberty

iowamike21

While Iowa and others are waiting to be judged worthy, we can rest easy knowing that NCAA wisdom and fairness have struck again. While Iowa and others fret over the naunces of the whole body of work we are repeatedly told is all-important, mighty Liberty has secured a spot in the NCAA tournament by virtue of one good weekend. So some 20+ winning team will be home watching 15-20 Liberty suit up for the NCAA. Beautiful. Now tell me more about that strength of schedule, that whole body of work thing. It sounds cool.

While Iowa and others are waiting to be judged worthy, we can rest easy knowing that NCAA wisdom and fairness have struck again. While Iowa and others fret over the naunces of the whole body of work we are repeatedly told is all-important, mighty Liberty has secured a spot in the NCAA tournament by virtue of one good weekend. So some 20+ winning team will be home watching 15-20 Liberty suit up for the NCAA. Beautiful. Now tell me more about that strength of schedule, that whole body of work thing. It sounds cool.

I agree that it is kind of b.s., but that being said Iowa and all other bubble teams have the same opportunity to win their conference tournaments as well.

I thought there was going to be some patriotic speech or something. The whole Cinderella thing is what makes it fun....

I agree that it is kind of b.s., but that being said Iowa and all other bubble teams have the same opportunity to win their conference tournaments as well.

Iowa also has had a multitude of opportunities within conference to get wins that would have already had tjem in the dance.

Cinderella is a small conference team with a good regular season getting to take on the big boys, not DMACC beating a bunch of other crap teams and getting to get blown out by Duke in the first round. I guess the Chiefs should have gotten a chance to compete in the postseason to win the Super Bowl this year as well.

Iowa also has had a multitude of opportunities within conference to get wins that would have already had tjem in the dance.

Exactly. A team like Liberty getting in doesn't bother me. If you are good enough during the season the conference tournament and what other teams do shouldn't matter.

In a masochistic way I kind of like the unknown of being on the bubble. It makes it more exciting. Last time Iowa was safely in the dance it seemed to be over before it even began.

The only team that will be sitting home because of the Liberty win is some other team from the Big South.

You get that, right?

Liberty getting in does not cost Iowa a bid besides they have to play their way in with a first round game.

I have to say I am a supporter of more 1st round games for the low majors.

OP does make a valid point.

NCAA should change its stance and only offer a guaranteed NCAA spot to the winner of the regular season.

What if there is a multi-team tie? Then they all make it.

Continue to have the post-season league tourneys for sure. Lots of fun, makes money, players get to play longer, etc.

But it shouldn't grant Cinderella automatic entrance to the ball.

People probably said the same thing about Iowa in 2001.

This is so accurate. 15-20 Liberty is very similar to a 23-12 Iowa team that would have made the NCAA tournament regardless, and that Iowa team also won a game in the tournament. Liberty won't be in the game after 3 minutes.

Seriously people.

If that little joke of a league wants to risk their one bid on an end of the season tourney, what's the problem?

Or do you really think it is such a tragedy that Gardner-Webb or Charlotte Southern won't be dancing?

Latest posts