Iowa, the bubble, and Liberty

Well said. I agree.

Just hope the NCAA BB world never ever ever goes the way of the FB BCS world (cheapening the entire process to the point it's ridiculous).

It will continue to be cheapened and the bubble will keep getting weaker. Mark my words, we will eventually see additional 1st round games. I can see the NCAA coming out with 16 seed first round games in each region along with 12/13 seed games in each region and the tournament expanded to 72. The NCAA does not make money over bubble talk, besides it will never go away and neither will the Selection Show. But more games means more TV revenue and more eyeballs watching the tournament. The NCAA came out with those 12/13 games to test the waters and they have proved to be a success, teams have made deep tournament runs from those positions and people will watch the games. The NCAA will look for ways to grow and expand the tournament, they will never make it smaller.

It will continue to be cheapened and the bubble will keep getting weaker. Mark my words, we will eventually see additional 1st round games. I can see the NCAA coming out with 16 seed first round games in each region along with 12/13 seed games in each region and the tournament expanded to 72. The NCAA does not make money over bubble talk, besides it will never go away and neither will the Selection Show. But more games means more TV revenue and more eyeballs watching the tournament. The NCAA came out with those 12/13 games to test the waters and they have proved to be a success, teams have made deep tournament runs from those positions and people will watch the games. The NCAA will look for ways to grow and expand the tournament, they will never make it smaller.
I don't like what he says, but Kelley is probably right.

GO HAWKS!!!

Agreed. Every time they have expanded, it has been extremely successful. Going to 68, with the play in games has been a success. They arent capping the tourney at 68. Just a matter of time before more expansion

We're going to see this very quickly with the football playoffs too. That will be a 16 team playoff in no time, there's so much bubble talk about who the 68th best team in college basketball is, just wait until we're trying to determine who is the 4th best in football.

And when the NCAA expands again, the NIT may very well cease to exist.

Not all together a bad thing I guess....nobody much likes to be in, much less watch, the consolation prize.

We're going to see this very quickly with the football playoffs too. That will be a 16 team playoff in no time, there's so much bubble talk about who the 68th best team in college basketball is, just wait until we're trying to determine who is the 4th best in football.

Although, IMO, I dont' think a 16-team playoff is diluting the field. Anything past that would be.

Liberty did what they had to do. A lot of people say the small school shouldn't get at large bids, only by winning their conference tournament. Well there you go, they did and they are in.

I think you mean Iowa should move the the Big 12. They could have gone about 18-2 in that p***y league.
ISU would be making plans for the NIT had they played in a real league this year.

The Big 12 won one game out of nine against the BIG this year:
Included in those losses were:

Baylor lost at home to Northwestern. (11th place in the BIG) Somehow Baylor is on the Frickin Bubble. You must be kidding.
ISU lost to Iowa by 9. ISU finishes about 9th in the BIG this year.
K-St. got blew out by Michigan
TCU lost to Northwestern by 24.
West Virginia lost to Purdue by 27
Texas got pounded by MSU
Kansas (who will win the Big 12 for infinity because the rest of the league sucks) salvaged a win against OSU but lost to MSU.

Iowa beat exactly one ranked team (I'll give you Wisconsin even though they weren't ranked when the two played) and only four of their wins were over tournament-bound teams (Wisconsin, Iowa State, Illinois, Minnesota).

Honest question: knowing all of this, what could possibly make you think they could go 18-2 in another Power Six league? (and don't bring up close losses either, it's a tired excuse)

If Iowa went to the Big 12 per your suggestion, they would have to face every team twice, so you're telling me Iowa goes 4-2 in home and aways with No. 7 Kansas, No. 11 Kansas State and No. 17 Oklahoma State? And then runs the table with the rest of the league home and away? Doubtful my friend. Doubtful.

Iowa beat exactly one ranked team (I'll give you Wisconsin even though they weren't ranked when the two played) and only four of their wins were over tournament-bound teams (Wisconsin, Iowa State, Illinois, Minnesota).

Hawks beat Western Kentucky in Cancun, who locked up a tourney berth last night.

Please get your facts straight if you are going to troll.

Hawks beat Western Kentucky in Cancun, who locked up a tourney berth last night.

Please get your facts straight if you are going to troll.

Apologies.

And it isn't trolling. It's a legitimate question as to why the OP thinks Iowa could go 18-2 in the Big 12 since he was so adamant in his post that Iowa would easily roll through another Power Six conference. Just wondering how he came to his conclusion since none of the facts support his claim.

Apologies.

And it isn't trolling. It's a legitimate question as to why the OP thinks Iowa could go 18-2 in the Big 12 since he was so adamant in his post that Iowa would easily roll through another Power Six conference. Just wondering how he came to his conclusion since none of the facts support his claim.

It wasn't trolling, but you are feeding the troll who said Iowa would go 18-2 in the Big 12. Comon man, no one with a brain thinks that.

With that said, people keep bringing up this "number of ranked teams" Iowa has beaten. Since when has this ever been part of the selection criteria? Rankings have no meaning. Top 25/50 Kenpom/RPI etc at least has some worth to it. Not to mention the bubble is weak, most teams don't have a lot of top wins.

Latest posts