Iowa, the bubble, and Liberty

Here's an idea .. add one more weekend to the Dance, then you have 256 teams get in. And if you REALLY want to make it fair, add one more day .. then EVERY D-I team makes the tourney.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

Here's an idea .. add one more weekend to the Dance, then you have 256 teams get in. And if you REALLY want to make it fair, add one more day .. then EVERY D-I team makes the tourney.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

You have been watching that Buffalo Wild Wings commercial to many times. :D

We're in??????????

This if funny. If Iowa was a lock for the tourney this thread would more than likely be about how great of a story Liberty is and nobody would complain about it.

Every single team controls their own destiny as far as getting in. If Iowa takes care of business this weekend they will get in too. If not, they deserve to sweat it out with the rest of the bubble team. Congrats to liberty, hot at the right time.

The only team that will be sitting home because of the Liberty win is some other team from the Big South.

You get that, right?

^^^^^^ This + 1,000,000 ^^^^^^

The Big South was a 1-bid league no matter who won that tournament, so Liberty did not steal and extra NCAA spot.

This only would have mattered if there had been another team that would have gotten an at-large bid from that conference.

Every single team controls their own destiny as far as getting in. If Iowa takes care of business this weekend they will get in too. If not, they deserve to sweat it out with the rest of the bubble team. Congrats to liberty, hot at the right time.

This. The Liberty's of the college basketball world are what make the NCAA tournament great, even if that means teams like Iowa get shoved further down the bubble or totally off it. You never know when one of the little guys is going to slay a Goliath; that's what makes the next 2-3 weeks must-see TV. Otherwise, you have a play-off system of the six most powerful conferences.

As others have noted, Iowa had many chances during the regular season to take care of business and to be guaranteed of a ticket to the dance, regardless of what happens in the conference tournament. Unfortunately, the mistakes of the season -- turnovers, occasional poor rebounding, poor shooting, questionable substitutions -- are coming back to haunt. And now the team must try to catch up by making a run in Chicago.

That's basketball. (snort)

The only team that will be sitting home because of the Liberty win is some other team from the Big South.

You get that, right?

Exactly. Charleston Southern is the only team left out by Liberty's, and they're left out because they lost to Liberty. That was a one-bid league the whole time.

^^^^^^ This + 1,000,000 ^^^^^^

The Big South was a 1-bid league no matter who won that tournament, so Liberty did not steal and extra NCAA spot.

This only would have mattered if there had been another team that would have gotten an at-large bid from that conference.

I don't think that was the OP's issue. His objection, I think, was to conferences of smaller schools automatically getting a spot in the tournament. The fact that a team with a regular season record much worse than Iowa's was making the dance was merely icing on the cake but perhaps illustrative of the cons of automatic qualifying.

I don't think that was the OP's issue. His objection, I think, was to conferences of smaller schools automatically getting a spot in the tournament. The fact that a team with a regular season record much worse than Iowa's was making the dance was merely icing on the cake but perhaps illustrative of the cons of automatic qualifying.

Easy solution then - Iowa moves to the MVC (with Creighton leaving, there's a spot open) and then they can dominate every year and get to the NCAA every year! Problem solved.

....Oh...except doesn't Wichita State play in the MVC? Dang...

Gotcha, and I understand where he's coming from. I happen to like the fact that conference tournament winners get an automatic bid - it gives everyone something to show up and play for.

But yeah you're right - sometimes you get some absolute crap teams making the tournament because of this. I kind of like someone else's idea that the regular season winner in those leagues is the one that gets the automatic bid. It does kind of render their conference tournaments essentially meaningless though..

Easy solution then - Iowa moves to the MVC (with Creighton leaving, there's a spot open) and then they can dominate every year and get to the NCAA every year! Problem solved.

Or just move to the Big 12, same thing.

NCAA should change its stance and only offer a guaranteed NCAA spot to the winner of the regular season.

What if there is a multi-team tie? Then they all make it.

In the cough syrup already, eh Seff? So you're saying if there is a 4 way tie in the MAAC or Big Sky or whatever all those teams should get in? I'd say hells no. Good for Liberty. Just because you guys ran off our Mr. March and we have one a single BTT game bince then doesn't mean we need to change the system.

You can't decry Liberty for using its tournament to get to the NCAA by winning it, then in the same breath, hope Iowa has its own deep run in the BTT to make it.

Hypo meet Crisy

In the cough syrup already, eh Seff? So you're saying if there is a 4 way tie in the MAAC or Big Sky or whatever all those teams should get in? I'd say hells no. Good for Liberty. Just because you guys ran off our Mr. March and we have one a single BTT game bince then doesn't mean we need to change the system.

I'll stick with my theory.

I don't have data (wish I had time to tho)....but I imagine true regular season ties don't happen that often anyway.

Just to be clear, I don't have the same objection. I like the fact that the little guys can join the dance and perhaps pick off a bigger program or two.

I've been against the auto bids for quite awhile. But if they're going to have them, it'd be much more fair to give it to regular season conference champions.

You can't decry Liberty for using its tournament to get to the NCAA by winning it, then in the same breath, hope Iowa has its own deep run in the BTT to make it.

Hypo meet Crisy

There's a huge difference. Iowa needs a deep run because it would require at least one more quality win to accomplish that. Iowa would get in with possibly a 22-12 (more likely needs to be 23-12). Liberty is 15-20 and didn't exactly knock off Michigan State or Indiana to win that tournament. An quality win or two wasn't going to help them because they sucked all year.

Iowa needs the conference tournament to give them some extra chances to pick up good wins. Liberty needed the garbage auto bid system.

Latest posts