Iowa State: I don't get it

Its October, Iowa State is not relevant. They are never relevant beyond September.

Indiana is the game on the calendar this week.

you keep bringing up the big ten. you keep bringing up iowa.

this is about iowa state. see the OP's subject line.

I've already conceded that Iowa and the Big 10 look to be weak comparatively to the big 12 this year. that being said, i do remember what a strong b12 team (6-2 conference play, 10-2 overall) did to an average big 10 team (4-4 conference play, 7-5 overall) last year in the insight bowl......

how would iowa do this year in the big 12? you are right on, most likely.

how would ISU do in the big 10 this year? rose bowl. i've read that enough on cyclownfanatic that i'm starting to believe it.

If you are looking for some ohio recruits, some kentucky recruits, y'all ought to set your sights on the MAC. Louisville, BYU, and Cincinnati would roll you guys ala Utah.

of course the schedule matters. always has for your team. kansas state plays the same schedule, baylor plays the same schedule.....how are they different than you - other than biatching about their schedules??

IMO, I don't think the results would be much different no matter whar y'all ended up. maybe you can get branstad, grassley and harkin to strong-arm the big 10 into let'in y'all saison tacket horders into the granddaddy of all confrences.......

I don't really want the ISU in the B10, I would have to end my charade of rooting for both teams:) I want them in a weakend B12..

"Why is Iowa State struggling so much now, after looking so good against Iowa?"

My assessment is that ISU has not improved as the season has moved forward and injuries are mounting up. They were fortunate to overcome mistakes in the first three games and have the home field advantage in two of the three OOC games. They could easily be 0 & 6. They have to have a negative turnover advantage.

After watching so many spread and hurry up offenses this season I wonder if it is the right approach for the personnel they have. The spread seems to offer more opportunities for turnovers. If your turning it over the way ISU has you have to ask if it fits.

It's not rocket science Iowa fans. You don't have to be a football genius to realize what's going on with ISU.

3 of the easiest 4 games of the year where their non conference

The Big 12 is loaded this year

Our offense STINKS

Our defense has been pretty decent until Missouri where it was PATHETIC

Our offense goes 3 and out so much that our defense has nothing left in the tank. They did great against Texas but when you give ANY team the ball in their own redzone 3 times in a half your going to give up points. And only giving up 13 was pretty good.

Really our defense has came out ready to play and done well in 5 out of 6 games. But the offense has sucked and has turned the ball over 3 times in the 1st against UCONN, 3 times in the 1st against Texas, and against Baylor they had held them to 7 points thru much of the 1st half until the RGIII fumble got overturned (how?).

Jantz is good when not facing blitzes. He's quicker than lineman. Not as quick as OLB's and DB's. Iowa didn't blitz much.

Jantz doesn't make quick reads

The Big 12 is STACKED (I've said that before.....right?)

Our best player is playing with no arms. One arm is broken and the other has a shoulder that won't stay in place. Still a beast.

Iowa State still doesn't have good DEPTH. It's getting better but ISU has never been able to reload like other schools b/c we don't recruit consistently good talent like other schools. So as the year wears on, and injuries happen, other teams weather them where ISU doesn't. That has to improve

"Why is Iowa State struggling so much now, after looking so good against Iowa?"

My assessment is that ISU has not improved as the season has moved forward and injuries are mounting up. They were fortunate to overcome mistakes in the first three games and have the home field advantage in two of the three OOC games. They could easily be 0 & 6. They have to have a negative turnover advantage.

After watching so many spread and hurry up offenses this season I wonder if it is the right approach for the personnel they have. The spread seems to offer more opportunities for turnovers. If your turning it over the way ISU has you have to ask if it fits.

Great question. I would argue that we should run a pro style as we are never going to have the athletes to have matchup disadvantages against other schools in the Big 12

I watched the Iowa State-Iowa game. Iowa State looked good on defense. Fast to the ball. Good QB. Good concepts. Played with passion.

I thought they would have an outstanding season.

Right now, they absolutely stink. Silly mistakes. Fumbles. Penalties. No passion on defense. They are getting blown out and they are clueless. They may not win another game, other than Kansas. Some of their fans are melting down on their board.

I can only explain this in 4 ways:

1. Iowa was their "Super Bowl". They shot their wad and have nothing left in the tank.
2. The Big 12 is really that good.
3. Iowa is really that bad.
4. Iowa is a very average team, but will do well because the Big 10 stinks.

#1 doesn't wash with me. I also don't think 3 or 4 are true. I think it is #2; the Big 12 is really that good.

What do other people think? Why is Iowa State struggling so much now, after looking so good against Iowa?

I refuse to believe Iowa is ISU's super bowl. It was by far their best performance of the yr however and I would think ISU fans would agree. The B12 is very good. Iowa is pretty average this yr, but not bad.

What's frustrating for me is that ISU is not even competetive in the B12 this yr. They are getting behind early, losing big, and looking bad doing it. The D is terrible. Yes they beat Iowa but gave up 41 points. Two of the teams they lost to have dropped out of the top 25 since they played ISU. They are very undisciplined. Janz looked all B12 against Iowa and has been pretty average to bad in the other games. IMO, ISU is regressing as the yr progresses, I don't know why. They better figure it out quick because here come the Aggies.

IMO, ISU is regressing as the yr progresses, I don't know why. They better figure it out quick because here come the Aggies.

It's because they are going up against some very good teams, getting some injuries, and both of those things have corroded their confidence.

Confidence is a big determiner on who wins games. That's why your first statement is incorrect - Iowa was their Super Bowl this year. Rhoads was able to build up their confidence and took advantage of a team who's coaching philosophy is like what another poster stated - KF uses the OOC as an NFL preseason.

The problem for Iowa State is that their schedule won't allow them any chance to build up their confidence, other than perhaps Kansas, or if they get lucky and catch a team or two napping. They do need to hope that the Big 12 actually becomes 12 again and so their back into focusing on winning a division.

So, to answer the OP's question, it's a combination of 1,2 and 4.

The fail is that some posters know nothing about ISU, their situation and don't want to have an intellegent conversation.

how so?

missouri rolled you guys, it's not like they are some amazing power house.

look at NW v. Illinois, NW v. Michigan. I suppose ISU would go toe-to-toe with those teams as well?

NW's O would carve you guys up.

You sir, are drunk off your ***.

The big telve is worse than cusa.

how so?

missouri rolled you guys, it's not like they are some amazing power house.

look at NW v. Illinois, NW v. Michigan. I suppose ISU would go toe-to-toe with those teams as well?

NW's O would carve you guys up.

Huh?

So ISU beats Iowa. Iowa beats a 2-4 Northwestern team. Northwestern would ROLL Iowa State. Gotcha.

They gave up 41 points to Iowa. ISU gave up 24 in regulation. Both ISU and Northwestern moved the ball similiarly against Iowa. Saying Northwestern would roll ISU isn't logical.

Huh?

So ISU beats Iowa. Iowa beats a 2-4 Northwestern team. Northwestern would ROLL Iowa State. Gotcha.

They gave up 41 points to Iowa. ISU gave up 24 in regulation. Both ISU and Northwestern moved the ball similiarly against Iowa. Saying Northwestern would roll ISU isn't logical.

Comparing scores isn't logical either. For example look at these numbers from last year:
Iowa 35
ISU 7

Missouri 14
ISU 0

So you would think Iowa is 14 points better than Missouri right? But it was a 27-24 game in which Iowa got a pick 6 to make the difference.

I don't know if NW would roll ISU, but at this point in the season NW would beat ISU. NW would put up at a minimum of 31 points against ISU and I don't think ISU could score 31 (right now) against NW.

Comparing scores isn't logical either. For example look at these numbers from last year:
Iowa 35
ISU 7

Missouri 14
ISU 0

So you would think Iowa is 14 points better than Missouri right? But it was a 27-24 game in which Iowa got a pick 6 to make the difference.

I don't know if NW would roll ISU, but at this point in the season NW would beat ISU. NW would put up at a minimum of 31 points against ISU and I don't think ISU could score 31 (right now) against NW.

Northwestern has lost 4 straight games! One being to Army, yes w/o Persa, but they still lost to Army.

I don't know how anyone could predict that they would beat anyone right now. They're 4 loses where all to teams that are WORSE than who ISU just lost 3 straight to. The logic is so flawed here.

Ok 17, what would your guys record have been without Jantz? You would have lost to Iowa, that's for sure, so stop pretending that Persa not playing against Army doesn't matter. Persa is their everything. Also, NW lost to Michigan and Illinois (last second TD), both of which are better than anyone you have lost to. Their worst loss was to Michigan by 18 (28 to 24 after 3 qtrs), while you guys have been absolutely blown out the past 3 games. The only thing pointing to a NW loss against you guys, is a game played 5 weeks ago vs Iowa. Catch up, and you'll see that all other signs point to NW winning. I don't think they'd beat you guys bad, but they would beat you.

Latest posts