Iowa State: I don't get it

their turnovers. never credit to iowa for forcing turnovers, always clownies fault by 'giving' iowa the game, etc.

and, NW is not terrible - to the previous clownies who are making themselves feel better by stating such.

Hasn't NW only beaten 2, 1-6 teams ( 1 being 1AA)?

and why are we still bringing up the Iowa St. game?? It was weeks ago and they beat us fair and square. Thats all there is to it. Focus on the future!

TM is right. ISU had three super bowls this year: Iowa, UNI, and UCONN.

They did the same thing against Texas, too. They've pretty much followed the same general 'plan': early turnovers, tons of penalties.

The only problem is that now they're playing much better teams than UNI, Iowa, or UCONN.

Iowa State was the better team on that day. Steele Jantz had a good day, but they also gave up 41 points to a very bad Iowa team.

Iowa State's remaining schedule has; Texas A&M (4-2), Texas Tech(4-2), Kansas(2-4), Oklahoma State(6-0), Oklahoma(6-0) and finally 6-0 Kansas State.
They might have a chance against Kansas.

Dexter is right. I compare ISU's win in football this year to that year that Lafester Rhodes scored 52 on us in basketball. Just one of those freak things. Hmmm...Rhodes that year, Rhodes this year? Irony

Plain and simple...Steele Pantz played out of his gosh darned mind.

This makes sense. He had the game of his life. Right after the game I told my Clone buddies that ISU deserved to win - but Jantz had better play that #@&%ing good all the time or I'll be calling fluke.

I think it's safe to call fluke now.

Last edited:
I agree that the B12 is tougher than the B10 this year, but that isn't the argument here.

I don't think the B12 has changed a whole lot in the past couple years, other than losing Nebraska and Colorado.

I wouldn't call NW terrible, they are far from that. I don't think Kansas is a terrible team either. I didn't watch over the weekend, but they hung around for a long time v. OU. Sooner or later they'll be a competitive football team.

I would also consider teams like BYU, Louisville and Cincinnati not on par with ISU - they are all teams above ISU given their recent football histories of success and recruiting abilities.

ISU, right now, is looking like an ISU team from the 90s. Basically 3 plays away from being winless. Best team in his tenure as head coach? That doesn't paint a very good picture looking forward, gol dang it!

BYU, Louisville and Cincy have had the advantage of playing against weak conference opponents. I think that if ISU played them yearly they would fair well, not dominate them but compete better than against OU and UT. Plus it wouldn't be too bad to play in Kentucky and Ohio due to the recruits.

It's a tough road to hoe at ISU. No doubt that, but McCarney took a joke of a program to one that competed for division titles. If ISU had a decent kicker he'd still be coaching ISU today.

Don't act like schedule doesn't make the season. If ISU played Cu and had another nonconference game against say Akron, we're looking at 6-6 and a bowl game. So if Iowa played Wisconsin next week instead of IU or their protected rivalry was tOSU instead of Purdon't you'd be singing a different tune.

How do you think Iowa would fair in the B12? I'd say middle of the pack at best.

I honestly have to say that Steele had a very good day against Iowa because Iowa didn't do a very good job of getting pressure against Steele and putting him in uncomfortable positions. To be honest Iowa's d-line was probably the worst of all the teams we have played so far. If Iowa did a better job of rusing the qb then that game could have gone the other way. The only win we have left this year might be Kansas, but after last Saturday I'm not so sure anymore.

It is ISU's Superbowl. Sorry it just is. Everyone from their AD there puts a tremendous emphasis on the Iowa game. Unfortunately Iowa teams under Ferentz tend to get better as the season rolls along. ISU has improved as a program to the point if Iowa does not bring its A game, ISU can pull the upset (especially in Ames).

ISU does have a tough schedule, but I think if they had Iowa's schedule, they would still end up with a losing record. ISU may be improved, but their still a mediocre to a bad football program. However, you just can't show up anymore and beat them......you have to put in some effort....especially if you have the tiger hawk on your helmet......because of their Superbowl.

ISU's season was ultimately complete with the Iowa win....now they can proceed to suck in their conference.

It is ISU's Superbowl. Sorry it just is. Everyone from their AD there puts a tremendous emphasis on the Iowa game. Unfortunately Iowa teams under Ferentz tend to get better as the season rolls along. ISU has improved as a program to the point if Iowa does not bring its A game, ISU can pull the upset (especially in Ames).

ISU does have a tough schedule, but I think if they had Iowa's schedule, they would still end up with a losing record. ISU may be improved, but their still a mediocre to a bad football program. However, you just can't show up anymore and beat them......you have to put in some effort....especially if you have the tiger hawk on your helmet......because of their Superbowl.

ISU's season was ultimately complete with the Iowa win....now they can proceed to suck in their conference.
I'm just glad you guys were able to beat Northwestern this year. Its really tough to win this game and the Iowa State one when its the other teams super bowl all the time. I think its starting to become Minnesota's super bowl but time will tell. If they start winning more against Iowa it will definately be their super bowl. :rolleyes:

I think it is a combination of things. Obviously ISU was fired up to play Iowa. Jantz was playing well and our defense was still trying to find itself (okay yes, it is still trying to find itself now but we are making some progress). Iowa is a little-above-average team with a shaky defense ... And yes, the Big 12 is good. Iowa would struggle with ISU's schedule. A lot is in the hands of the coaches now to see if they can get the ISU players to focus and cut out the mental mistakes, etc. Also, ISU still simply has a lot of holes ... Not one thing here ... but many factors playing into their season.

A 3 OT game is a coin flip. A home team has a 3-7 pt. advantage. ISU won, but that doesn't mean they are "better," or that they would even win 5 out of 9 against Iowa.

The Big 12 is really that good.

and....

Iowa is a very average team, but will do well because the Big 10 stinks.

BYU, Louisville and Cincy have had the advantage of playing against weak conference opponents. I think that if ISU played them yearly they would fair well, not dominate them but compete better than against OU and UT. Plus it wouldn't be too bad to play in Kentucky and Ohio due to the recruits.

It's a tough road to hoe at ISU. No doubt that, but McCarney took a joke of a program to one that competed for division titles. If ISU had a decent kicker he'd still be coaching ISU today.

Don't act like schedule doesn't make the season. If ISU played Cu and had another nonconference game against say Akron, we're looking at 6-6 and a bowl game. So if Iowa played Wisconsin next week instead of IU or their protected rivalry was tOSU instead of Purdon't you'd be singing a different tune.

How do you think Iowa would fair in the B12? I'd say middle of the pack at best.

you keep bringing up the big ten. you keep bringing up iowa.

this is about iowa state. see the OP's subject line.

I've already conceded that Iowa and the Big 10 look to be weak comparatively to the big 12 this year. that being said, i do remember what a strong b12 team (6-2 conference play, 10-2 overall) did to an average big 10 team (4-4 conference play, 7-5 overall) last year in the insight bowl......

how would iowa do this year in the big 12? you are right on, most likely.

how would ISU do in the big 10 this year? rose bowl. i've read that enough on cyclownfanatic that i'm starting to believe it.

If you are looking for some ohio recruits, some kentucky recruits, y'all ought to set your sights on the MAC. Louisville, BYU, and Cincinnati would roll you guys ala Utah.

of course the schedule matters. always has for your team. kansas state plays the same schedule, baylor plays the same schedule.....how are they different than you - other than biatching about their schedules??

IMO, I don't think the results would be much different no matter whar y'all ended up. maybe you can get branstad, grassley and harkin to strong-arm the big 10 into let'in y'all saison tacket horders into the granddaddy of all confrences.......

I'm just glad you guys were able to beat Northwestern this year. Its really tough to win this game and the Iowa State one when its the other teams super bowl all the time. I think its starting to become Minnesota's super bowl but time will tell. If they start winning more against Iowa it will definately be their super bowl. :rolleyes:

Because they won 1 game against us in how many years? You might have a good point by bringing up NW as a team that we say cares more about the game than Iowa, but Minnesota? C'mon man.

Latest posts