Iowa State: I don't get it

True, but to me this team isn't as good as last year's team from what I have seen this year.

ISU played their backup QB against Missouri last year and lost 14-0 and Missouri had two top 10 picks off of that team last year, yet they lose by 35 this year. I'm sorry but playing at Missouri isn't a 21 point advantage.

True, I didn't get to watch the Mizzou game last year. This year they got behind early and had to try to score a lot of points to keep up and couldn't get it done. Also last year's game was after Mizzou's season was over and maybe they played poorly.

schedule hasn't changed a whole lot from his previous two years other than the fact that iowa is weaker than previous two teams, texas is weaker from a historical perspective. Connecticut weaker and has a new coaching staff.

i think his recruiting is weak and his success has been thanks to the players he has inherited. i see a downward trend here. and given his tone after the MO game, i think the bitterness has already set in.

The schedule has changed: Take away a winnable game against CU, take away a non-conference game against Toledo play 4 conference home games and 5 road games. Top to bottom the B12 is tougher this year than the B10, KU is terrible but so is Indiana, Purdue, MN and NW. All the B12 teams (minus ISU and KU) are pretty decent this year.

His recruiting is weak, but hey ISU's recruiting never has been too great. That will have to be addressed and it'll take time. It'll take an improvement in the trenches and a special player at QB. I think that ISU has the right coach but he's in a tough situation.

I'm hoping that the B12 moves back to 12 and add a couple of equal level programs in ISU's division (BYU, Louisville, Cincy) that will keep them from having to play UT and OU every year. ISU has no chance of winning a conference title outright, they have to win a division and then get lucky in a "one shining moment" type conference championship game.

Once again, KF plays non-Con like NFL preseason. This is where he works out kinks and figures out his two-deeps, etc.

Accordingly, a KF team will rarely be truly ready to play that kind of game in the second week of the season.

The schedule has changed: Take away a winnable game against CU, take away a non-conference game against Toledo play 4 conference home games and 5 road games. Top to bottom the B12 is tougher this year than the B10, KU is terrible but so is Indiana, Purdue, MN and NW. All the B12 teams (minus ISU and KU) are pretty decent this year.

His recruiting is weak, but hey ISU's recruiting never has been too great. That will have to be addressed and it'll take time. It'll take an improvement in the trenches and a special player at QB. I think that ISU has the right coach but he's in a tough situation.

I'm hoping that the B12 moves back to 12 and add a couple of equal level programs in ISU's division (BYU, Louisville, Cincy) that will keep them from having to play UT and OU every year. ISU has no chance of winning a conference title outright, they have to win a division and then get lucky in a "one shining moment" type conference championship game.

I agree that the B12 is tougher than the B10 this year, but that isn't the argument here.

I don't think the B12 has changed a whole lot in the past couple years, other than losing Nebraska and Colorado.

I wouldn't call NW terrible, they are far from that. I don't think Kansas is a terrible team either. I didn't watch over the weekend, but they hung around for a long time v. OU. Sooner or later they'll be a competitive football team.

I would also consider teams like BYU, Louisville and Cincinnati not on par with ISU - they are all teams above ISU given their recent football histories of success and recruiting abilities.

ISU, right now, is looking like an ISU team from the 90s. Basically 3 plays away from being winless. Best team in his tenure as head coach? That doesn't paint a very good picture looking forward, gol dang it!

Once again, KF plays non-Con like NFL preseason. This is where he works out kinks and figures out his two-deeps, etc.

Accordingly, a KF team will rarely be truly ready to play that kind of game in the second week of the season.

agreed - KF uses preseason games to work on the run game, for example. no doubt about your post.

I agree that the B12 is tougher than the B10 this year, but that isn't the argument here.

I don't think the B12 has changed a whole lot in the past couple years, other than losing Nebraska and Colorado.

I wouldn't call NW terrible, they are far from that. I don't think Kansas is a terrible team either. I didn't watch over the weekend, but they hung around for a long time v. OU. Sooner or later they'll be a competitive football team.

I would also consider teams like BYU, Louisville and Cincinnati not on par with ISU - they are all teams above ISU given their recent football histories of success and recruiting abilities.

ISU, right now, is looking like an ISU team from the 90s. Basically 3 plays away from being winless. Best team in his tenure as head coach? That doesn't paint a very good picture looking forward, gol dang it!

Kansas is horrible and they are only going to get worse. Turner Gill is in way over his head at this level.

I am more confused why a Hawkeye fan would spend any time thinking about ISU in the first place (except for the week we play them).

Ignore them. They will go away.

It may be his best team, but their schedule is brutal.

I agree, but at some point, some year, this has got to stop being an excuse. This year I can agree with it because it seems the B12 as a WHOLE is up. Even the lesser teams, historically, are playing well. Could be a long year. There just isn't a let-up game, save Kansas (and you guys NEED to win that game). And as another poster said, you just aren't deep enough to play against that type of talent every week.

iowa had a hell of a team last year. record doesn't bear it out but that was a great team, full of talent - we handed WI that game and weren't quite the same afterwards + lots going on inside the team.

I agree with that. They had a lot of talent, and didn't make the plays to win the big games. I saw all of the losses in person last year (including Tucson, Evanston, and Minneapolis). dang.

Here's to continued improvement!

I haven't gotten to see them play much lately, but for the first month, ISU was playing with passion against everyone. They made plenty of mistakes against Iowa, too. They really didn't play THAT much better against Iowa than they did against UNI or UCONN. Jantz's performance was the only difference, and he's not been there long enough to treat Iowa as a Super Bowl game.

Plus, the Big 12 is loaded this year.

TM is right. ISU had three super bowls this year: Iowa, UNI, and UCONN.

The only other ISU game I've watched and will watch is the Texas game since I'm surrounded by Longhorns down here. They looked like a different team against UT. Steal Jantz was missing receivers that he never missed against Iowa. The defense looked slower, the offense didn't execute as well, they just didn't look as good as they did against Iowa.

The reality is that ISU just doesn't have enough talent to be competitive in the Big 12 right now. As its been pointed out in this thread, the depth isn't there. ISU has some pretty good starters in certain spots (KO, Knott, White, Leonard Johnson), but the depth just isn't there.

The super bowl argument is dumb. Ill admit, a lot of ISU fans may put more emphasis on the game than other games on the schedule, but you can't tell me that the Iowa players don't want to beat ISU just as bad as ISU wants to beat Iowa.

Iowa loses to a terrible ISU team, has a miracle comeback against a bad Pitt team, and struggles to stop NW another horrible team. They even gave up a good chunk against ULM.

It just seems like the system is the problem.

Yet Iowa is still a solid team and can play with teams like Nebraska, Penn State.

Iowa allows ISU to stay in games even after missed Fgs, turnovers etc. Iowa just has not unleashed a relentless quick strike uptempo offense which are the types that blow ISU out.

CPR said today how much Jantz's foot has really been bothering him since the UCONN game. Its no coincidence that we have struggled since. He looks MUCH slower and is taking more sacks.
ISU is bad and had a great day.
Iowa is very average.

Last edited:
Iowa loses to a terrible ISU team, has a miracle comeback against a bad Pitt team, and struggles to stop NW another horrible team. They even gave up a good chunk against ULM.

It just seems like the system is the problem.

Yet Iowa is still a solid team and can play with teams like Nebraska, Penn State.

Iowa allows ISU to stay in games even after missed Fgs, turnovers etc. Iowa just has not unleashed a relentless quick strike uptempo offense which are the types that blow ISU out.

ISU is bad and had a great day.
Iowa is very average.

How do you explain the *** whoopins in 2009 and 2010?

How do you explain the *** whoopins in 2009 and 2010?

their turnovers. never credit to iowa for forcing turnovers, always clownies fault by 'giving' iowa the game, etc.

and, NW is not terrible - to the previous clownies who are making themselves feel better by stating such.

Latest posts