Iowa State Cancels Incarnate Word for Drake

I don't get all the snarky comments on this thread. This is a good thing for both ISU and Drake. And although Drake is a non-scholly program, they are still an FCS level program.

I am a little surprised that Drake was allowed to play an extra game, but they have only played 10 games this year. I guess Drske also had a game cancelled on 9/1 due to inclement weather, so that's why they also had an opening.

So it actually makes a lot of sense for the 2 teams to play each other. With Incarnate Word in the playoffs and their status uncertain, and ISU no longer has a chance at the Big 12 CCG, no need to wait to make this change. Drake needs to know now, cause they had assumed they had played their last game and was ready to close up shop.

I don't mind Akron getting thrown to the wolves against OSU in September because those guys at least have scholarships. Something like 10 years ago Drake beat a 65 scholarship team and it was considered one of the biggest upsets in college football (Drake playing those I-AA teams is their version of being a rent a victim). This year, they lost by like 30 to Montana, which is a decent I-AA program, but miles behind Iowa State. Nothing against the Drake guys, I went there for undergrad and I pull for them, but the talent discrepancy in this game will make it as interesting as a Globetrotters-Generals game.

I don't mind Akron getting thrown to the wolves against OSU in September because those guys at least have scholarships. Something like 10 years ago Drake beat a 65 scholarship team and it was considered one of the biggest upsets in college football (Drake playing those I-AA teams is their version of being a rent a victim). This year, they lost by like 30 to Montana, which is a decent I-AA program, but miles behind Iowa State. Nothing against the Drake guys, I went there for undergrad and I pull for them, but the talent discrepancy in this game will make it as interesting as a Globetrotters-Generals game.

Pssssst Drake IS a "I-AA" team. Also it's FCS now, stop living in the 80s

Correct. The Pioneer League and the Ivy League are the only two full non-scholarship FCS leagues.

I am half surprised Drake could get its team back together. But since their Thanksgiving break didn't start till today I guess all the players were still in school so it wouldn't be hard to get them back together. I am sure some had other plans for this weekend but I guess they went out the window.

Pssssst Drake IS a "I-AA" team. Also it's FCS now, stop living in the 80s

I'm sure okeefe is aware of that but in FCS there is a HUGE difference between non scholarship and schools that give out scholarships. UNI would trounce all over Drake if they played each other. Drake doesn't belong on the same field as Iowa State, but I suppose it will be a thrill for the Drake players to play a FBS opponent.

Correct. The Pioneer League and the Ivy League are the only two full non-scholarship FCS leagues.

I am half surprised Drake could get its team back together. But since their Thanksgiving break didn't start till today I guess all the players were still in school so it wouldn't be hard to get them back together. I am sure some had other plans for this weekend but I guess they went out the window.

The game isn't this weekend, it's the following weekend (Dec 1st).

The game isn't this weekend, it's the following weekend (Dec 1st).
Correct. A couple of years ago it was possible Rice was going to get to play in a bowl game with a 5-7 record. The fall term was over and players had scattered. A couple had all ready started jobs. It was going to be a challenge to get the team back together for practices. Fortunately it never happened.

If I was a player on Drake, particularly a senior, I would seriously consider sitting that game out. Absolutely no way would I play quarterback in that game. That kid is going to get murdered. Maybe, maybe I would do it if Iowa State had to do a 3 apple rush and then could only rush 3 players. No bullshitting, this is a potentially dangerous situation for Drake's players and it is truly horrible judgment from the officials involved to allow a game like this to be scheduled.

Take it easy. It's freaking Iowa State, not Alabama!

I'm sure okeefe is aware of that but in FCS there is a HUGE difference between non scholarship and schools that give out scholarships. UNI would trounce all over Drake if they played each other. Drake doesn't belong on the same field as Iowa State, but I suppose it will be a thrill for the Drake players to play a FBS opponent.

"Doesn't belong". Please factually explain how one team doesn't belong on a field with another?

Take it easy. It's freaking Iowa State, not Alabama!

ISU beat a good West Virginia team and didn't get embarrassed by Oklahoma or Texas. They have a pretty solid team. Mr. Saban would advise his guys to play soft - no big hits on the QB, no blitzing the guy and hitting him at full speed with a 250 pound LB, no blindside corner blitz, etc. I would be worried about ISU having the same level of respect for such a lesser opponent.

Oh so we're in the land of make believe now. I got ya.

Well, Iowa has what, maybe a handful of guys good enough to play in the NFL and Drake probably has a handful of guys who are good enough to play on a FBS roster. I think it's a fair comparison of the absurd talent gap. Maybe Iowa versus the Dolphins would be better.

I just assume the talent gap is similar to Bama vs Citadel.
Keep the money in state, I dont think Campbell is going to get these guys killed. Only way I see a crazy lopsided score I if Drake can 100% not stop ISU 2nd or 3rd string run attack.