Iowa realistic ceiling this year?

I'm not changing my ceiling for them. Nunge played well at times last year but he also struggled a bit once conference games started. Nunge played so much early because Baer was out and nobody else could play the 3. Then he played quite a bit because Baer was struggling once he got back. With Joe in the fold he was never going to get as many minutes this season. Probably a good thing because Nunge is not a 3 as we can all agree.

Keep in mind with Joe on board that's less minutes for Baer at the 3 this season as well. So if Baer is playing more at the 4 and Joe is taking most of the minutes at the 3, that's less minutes for Nunge at both positions.

Nunge saw this and smartly took the redshirt.

I didn't realize how much better a player Nunge became just by not being able to play. People are talking like we just redshirted Kevin McHale or something (exaggeration)

He had a nice spurt in December last year (Iowa State, Indiana) then what happens about 5,708 times in sports ended up happening. Opponents got a bit of a scouting report on him.

Fran didn't do him any favors by playing him out of position, that is true. But where was he going to get major minutes this year once Garza got healthy? He wasn't getting them at the four and he wouldn't at the three unless Wiescamp hits the wall or something.

My lingering image of Nunge from last year is trailing Reaves or Stevens as one of them threw down as vicious a dunk as you will see.

Don't compare his loss like we were losing a Jarrod Uthoff type player. He would have wasted his year. Again, would you rather waste a year of Nunge or waste a year of Pemsl/Kreiner.

The way people talk (complain) about Cordell and Ryan I would think that's all the more reason to get them through the system as quickly as possible, as I brought up in May. And Fran may tighten the screws on the rotation and end up giving them Uhl type minutes anyway. Let's see how the next six to eight games play out as the competition gets tougher.
There is no rule or guideline that says Pemsl and Kriener have to play because they are on scholarship. I’ve already spelled this out so many times and nobody has really disputed it.

Eye test. Nunge 6’11 can move his feet, can handle the ball, can shoot. Pemsl and Kriener are both 6’8 / 6’9 and slow. Pemsl is actually an undersized 5 who is out of position at the 4. They are probably slightly better rebounders.

Stat test. Nunge was 4th on the team last year in PER, 4th in WS/40, 3rd in Box +/-, 2nd in block shots, and T-4 in steals. This is coming from a guy who got limited minutes and most of them came out of position.

Again I said the other day but if I was the coach (I’m not) my frontcourt rotation would be something like:

4. Cook 15 / Nunge 20 / Baer 5
5. Garza 25 / Cook 15

This is the way basketball is going my friend. Smaller more athletic types playing the 4 position all across the conference and the country. Lamar Stevens, Isaac Copeland, Jordan Murphy, Juwan Morgan (he actually plays 5), my guess is Charles Matthews and Isaiah Livers will play the 4 for Michigan this year, they are guards. Can Pemsl hang with anyone of those guys footspeed wise??

Again everyone is under some sort of assumption that Kriener and Pemsl have some sort of “right” to play. They are serviceable but I don’t think they would be in the rotation on about 80% of the other B1G teams.

I had Jack as the 5th best player on this years Iowa team and I think it’s a bad move for this current team. Good move for Jack and his career knowing Fran ain’t changing his ways. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it unless someone can make a compelling argument otherwise, but I certainly haven’t heard one to date.

There is no rule or guideline that says Pemsl and Kriener have to play because they are on scholarship. I’ve already spelled this out so many times and nobody has really disputed it.

Eye test. Nunge 6’11 can move his feet, can handle the ball, can shoot. Pemsl and Kriener are both 6’8 / 6’9 and slow. Pemsl is actually an undersized 5 who is out of position at the 4. They are probably slightly better rebounders.

Stat test. Nunge was 4th on the team last year in PER, 4th in WS/40, 3rd in Box +/-, 2nd in block shots, and T-4 in steals. This is coming from a guy who got limited minutes and most of them came out of position.

Again I said the other day but if I was the coach (I’m not) my frontcourt rotation would be something like:

5. Garza 25 / Cook 15

This is the way basketball is going my friend. Smaller more athletic types playing the 4 position all across the conference and the country. Lamar Stevens, Isaac Copeland, Jordan Murphy, Juwan Morgan (he actually plays 5), my guess is Charles Matthews and Isaiah Livers will play the 4 for Michigan this year, they are guards. Can Pemsl hang with anyone of those guys footspeed wise??

Again everyone is under some sort of assumption that Kriener and Pemsl have some sort of “right” to play. They are serviceable but I don’t think they would be in the rotation on about 80% of the other B1G teams.

I had Jack as the 5th best player on this years Iowa team and I think it’s a bad move for this current team. Good move for Jack and his career knowing Fran ain’t changing his ways. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it unless someone can make a compelling argument otherwise, but I certainly haven’t heard one to date.

To be fair Jack was killing it in the non conference last season but his PER was down to 13.7 in conference play. Again like you said this was also while playing out of position. I agree Pemsl should not be playing, he's an undersized 5 that lost his only advantage when he slimmed down. Unless he somehow developed a jumper he should not be playing. I disagree with Kriener. He has been pretty efficient when staying out of foul trouble.

To be fair Jack was killing it in the non conference last season but his PER was down to 13.7 in conference play. Again like you said this was also while playing out of position. I agree Pemsl should not be playing, he's an undersized 5 that lost his only advantage when he slimmed down. Unless he somehow developed a jumper he should not be playing. I disagree with Kriener. He has been pretty efficient when staying out of foul trouble.
Fair enough. If it’s Baer getting minutes at the 4 and Iowa playing more guard oriented I can get on board with the Nunge redshirt. I’ve been calling for Iowa to play smaller with this roster since early last year.

If we continue to play Pemsl minutes at the 4. This is a bad move IMO.

I remember what it was like to be 47:)

The meniscus in my knees was in good shape.

I had yet to contract bursitis in the elbow.

I didn't have to throw left handed when I played catch with my kids.

My brother in law couldn't beat me in H-O-R-S-E.

Good times.
The meniscus in my knees are rough but I manage far better than I should.
I have bursitis in my hands but I manage far better than I should.
My elbow tendons are tight and my jump shot isn't loose. It's a struggle.

Fair enough. If it’s Baer getting minutes at the 4 and Iowa playing more guard oriented I can get on board with the Nunge redshirt. I’ve been calling for Iowa to play smaller with this roster since early last year.

If we continue to play Pemsl minutes at the 4. This is a bad move IMO.

I think it will be Baer. Joe has the 3 locked up for probably 25 maybe 30 a game. Dailey will play some there as well so Baer should move over to the 4. We will probably see Pemsl at the 4 for the next few games but hopefully Fran squeezes the lineup a bit to 9 once conference play hits. I wouldn't be opposed to him doing it sooner rather than later either.

I’d like to update my ceiling prediction.

With no Nunge and Fran’s insistence on jamming Connor, Pemsl, and Kriener in there I would say this team’s ceiling is NIT. Probably best case scenario they find 8 conference wins.

Me too and I think your change to NIT as the ceiling is right too.

5. Garza 25 / Cook 15

If Cook played fifteen minutes a night at the five he would a hard time staying out of foul trouble, especially having to clean up the mess left behind by guards who can't keep people in front of them.

The idea of Nunge getting twenty minutes a night looks good on paper, would not be as easy to facilitate. Not when you need Cook and Garza out there as much as possible. If he is really as good as you rate him he should be playing starter minutes anyway. If not, save him for when he can.

Cordell and Ryan may play themselves out of the rotation yet. I agreed with you there and noted it in my post.

Fran started this with the roster he put together. Now the rent is due and he's paying it.

This will be the first of approximately 5,000 times that the redshirt debate will come up this winter. I still like it. Think of what Gabe Olesaini could have accomplished as a fifth year senior with a redshirt year under his belt.

The meniscus in my knees are rough but I manage far better than I should.
I have bursitis in my hands but I manage far better than I should.
My elbow tendons are tight and my jump shot isn't loose. It's a struggle.
I took a nasty spill in early October where I was basically reminded that I'm too old to fly. When the bursa sac in my elbow got inflamed the fluid left a bump on my elbow size of a golf ball for two weeks. There was no pain or loss of motion range but it was pretty hideous to look at for a while.

I'd distribute minutes like this
5) Garza 28 mins /Kriener 12
4) Cook 32 mins / Baer 8
3) JW 30 mins / Moss 10
2) Moss 15 mins / Dailey 15 mins/ Connor 10 mins
1) Bohannon 25 mins / Connor 10 mins / Dailey 5 mins
I shake up the minutes according to where Moss's head is at, if Dailey decides to play aggressive and what kind of defense I get from these 2 and Bo/CM.

From what I've been hearing, Kriener is the most improved player since last year. If that's the case, he's the reason for Nunge redshirting. I dont think Pemsl will play enough minutes to even be a factor in this discussion since it would be his few minutes that Nunge would be fighting for.

Latest posts