Iowa realistic ceiling this year?

I know I know, Iowa’s leading scorers are all back, but is that really enough for a NCAA appearance? I don’t think the leasing scorers being back from a 4-14 team is enough even when you add weiskamp and Connor Mac.

I really see a .500 team this year, isn’t a logical step 4-14 to 10-10 with the expanded schedule?

Persuade me otherwise, I’d really like something to look forward to watching this winter.

I am pretty sure you're not going to be persuaded, but nice try.

The ceiling is an NCAA birth. I'm not saying its likely but it is for sure within the ceiling.

Could Tyler Cook dominate consistently this year and become a 1st team all B1G player?
Could Bohannon continue to shoot 43% from 3 and dish out 5-6 assists per game?
Could Moss continue to improve his shooting and defense consistently?
Could Garza improve upon his impressive freshman season?
Could Baer return to the 6th man of the year award winner he once was?
Could Iowa's top 50 recruit come out strong and show why he was given all the hype?
Could the entire team show incremental improvements in all areas...especially defense and rebounding?
Could Fran figure out how to coach defense? (don't answer this one)

Could Iowa put all of those things together and make the NCAA tournament? Sure! Will it? The odds are against it.

The ceiling is an NCAA birth. I'm not saying its likely but it is for sure within the ceiling.

Could Tyler Cook dominate consistently this year and become a 1st team all B1G player?
Could Bohannon continue to shoot 43% from 3 and dish out 5-6 assists per game?
Could Moss continue to improve his shooting and defense consistently?
Could Garza improve upon his impressive freshman season?
Could Baer return to the 6th man of the year award winner he once was?
Could Iowa's top 50 recruit come out strong and show why he was given all the hype?
Could the entire team show incremental improvements in all areas...especially defense and rebounding?
Could Fran figure out how to coach defense? (don't answer this one)

Could Iowa put all of those things together and make the NCAA tournament? Sure! Will it? The odds are against it.[/QUOT

This is a good post

Actually I could, I just need a reason for optimism. I’m not cheering for Iowa to make the NIT.

I went into last season way too optimistic. Its hard to remain positive after what happened, but there are some good pieces in place. As down as I am on Fran right now, there's no way him and his staff didn't obsess over their failures all off-season. It is their job after all. I'm willing to give him a fair shot this year, but the patience is basically gone.

Also, I have zero faith in Barta firing Fran this year or next year regardless of outcome...so might as well hope for the best.

I went into last season way too optimistic. Its hard to remain positive after what happened, but there are some good pieces in place. As down as I am on Fran right now, there's no way him and his staff didn't obsess over their failures all off-season. It is their job after all. I'm willing to give him a fair shot this year, but the patience is basically gone.

Also, I have zero faith in Barta firing Fran this year or next year regardless of outcome...so might as well hope for the best.

No way does fran get fired, especially when his top recruits live in his house...

Great post. I certainly questions whether Fran is a competent Power 5 coach at this point, BUT they did say they were working on defense all of last year. We had a young team that now has taken their lumps. So maybe, just maybe they can exceed expectations and win 20+ games. I put the Ceiling at 22, but I'm expecting 17 or 18.

I put too much stock in 2017 late season wins at Maryland and Wisconsin, maybe the Indiana game. I thought they were developing the "it" factor that wins close games. The only thing that happened was that nobody improved and the league adjusted. By the time Fran figured out he should have been giving more minutes to other players the season was toast.

Garza, Nunge, and Weiskamp were all players of the year in their states. Sometimes adding an element that is missing...whether it be a dominate rebounder, or a great point guard, changes the complexion of a team and gets them over the hump. What I think you have with Iowa is they have added a guy like Weiskamp who can do so many things...rebound, play defense, shoot, and create for others. He has a high basketball IQ. It adds a versatility at the small forward spot that we haven't had. This team is going to be a great three point shooting team.

If Garza, Nunge, Cook, Kreiner and Pemsl play physical...and we play better team defense...well...I think this team may surprise you.
I think they will have a very good year if they can remain healthy. They underperformed last year, but they had a lot of nagging injuries, so it should be pretty easy to overperform with the low expectations. I think they will make the NCAA tournament. Of course, what I think doesn't really mean much.

There have been lessor talented teams that have made it to the dance. Will this team put it all together and will Fran find the right mix? Who knows.

I’ll say a solid NCAA birth and a 6-8 seed and finishing like 4th in the league.

I think this team will be dramatically better than last with the addition of Joe and the motivation that last year provides.

What concerns me are the schedule and the overall strength of the conference.

My expectations are to make the tourney. Likely finishing 5th or 6th in the league and a 9-11 seed so I put the ceiling slightly higher.

It's really hard to judge a team's ceiling but IMO the offense is there and it all depends on how much the team can improve on D.

I personally expect to see something much more like Fran's past teams. I could see making the dance as a 7-10 seed. That's my best guess on "best case".

You just never know how a season will pan out, though.

If Iowa goes to the NIT I won't be happy, but if it's basically a repeat of last year, I'll be having to change my avatar, grab a pitchfork, and join the mob of angry villagers..

Last edited:
I hope we either make the tournament or are so bad it makes the Fire Fran decision obvious. I can't stand the mediocre middle ground. I'd rather go 4-16 this year than 10-10.
I get what you're trying to say and I'm almost in agreement, but I simply cannot justify rooting for my own team to lose in order to get a coaching change.

This is about where I'm at now. I'm grateful to Fran for digging us out of a black hole, but the honeymoon period is over. This year needs to be tourney or bust.

I get what you're trying to say and I'm almost in agreement, but I simply cannot justify rooting for my own team to lose in order to get a coaching change.

This is about where I'm at now. I'm grateful to Fran for digging us out of a black hole, but the honeymoon period is over. This year needs to be tourney or bust.

What sucks is if its a bust year, Fran still has like a $7M buyout and his "star recruit" coming in next year is his own son.

This team has as much talent as anyone in the league. Last year was an anomaly. Call it nagging injuries. Call it the Sophomore jinx. Whatever. It will not happen this year.

Cook and Garza will dominate, Weiskamp is B1G ready and will excel. JBo will exceed his Freshman year performance. Nunge, Moss, Pemsl, Daily and Baer will all provide excellent production.

I say:
25 wins
Sweet 16

Sold?

Actually I could, I just need a reason for optimism. I’m not cheering for Iowa to make the NIT.

It is obviously early, but this is what I like so far.

1. Cook seems to have a different mindset. He has his head up whether bringing the ball down or on the block. He’s finding open guys. He also has better handles. Any team that tries to play him straight up with one man is going to end up on a lot of dunk reels. If he plays unselfish, that will be a huge asset.

2. It is just my opinion, but I think Wieskamp is going to contribute immediately. He can shoot 3’s, can get to the rack or stop anywhere in between to get a shot off.

3. Connor has great floor awareness. He had a couple sloppy passes in the exhibition game, but also had a couple that were right on the money. He will get better as the season goes on. His minutes will help keep JBo sharp and rested.

4. I liked what I saw from Cook, Garza, Pemsl and Kriener with interior passing during the exhibition. They either got a good shot or found the open big man cutting to the basket. That will cut down on slop and needless dribbling in the lane.

5. Ellingson and Wagner got 20 minutes/game between the two of them last year. Those minutes going to others is addition by subtraction.

6. Defense will be better, it cannot be worse.

We will see what happens, but I am convinced last season was the anomaly, not the norm. I guess we will find out soon enough. I will be happy with an NCAA berth, but I think we have the horses to go on a run.

Latest posts