Iowa PG Bohannon 0 Assists

That tells part of the story, but not the whole thing. There is no denying that our offense is not playing as well this year as they did last year. Lightning suggested that’s because we are spending more energy on defense, maybe that’s part of it.

I would have expected Iowa’s offense to improve nicely with the addition of Weiskamp, but that hasn’t happened to date. The only other noticeable change to the team on offense this year is that JBo is playing a lot more off of the ball.

Yup. Wasn't insinuating that it was the whole story.

That tells part of the story, but not the whole thing. There is no denying that our offense is not playing as well this year as they did last year. Lightning suggested that’s because we are spending more energy on defense, maybe that’s part of it.

I would have expected Iowa’s offense to improve nicely with the addition of Weiskamp, but that hasn’t happened to date. The only other noticeable change to the team on offense this year is that JBo is playing a lot more off of the ball.

The only problem with the theory that playing tougher defense is making us tired on offense is I haven't seen evidence that our offense starts out strong and slowly gets worse as the game goes on.

My theory is that when you're down big, the opposing defense softens up, making it easier to score. We spent a lot of last season down big. Thus, better offensive numbers than we should have had.

If I am Fran and Jbo and Cook and Garza are in the game, I am running a pick and roll with Jbo and Cook/Garza every single time down the floor.

Right now it seems we run high picks a lot but the picker doesn't roll to the rim after the pick.

I'd have to watch every game multiple times, to try and put my finger on exactly why our offense is down. It's likely a combination of things. Proper team defense and defensive rebounding, will certainly limit your run out baskets in transition. Trying to cut down on the turnovers will force you to slow down. That can limit number of possessions. Making an effort to get the ball in the post will take your offense deeper into the shot clock. And my suggestion about playing defense with better effort/hurting the offense is more specifically for players that are not in good enough shape to play hard on both ends of the court. If you never spent much time or effort playing good defense for 30 minutes per game....well, that's going to be a rude awakening for your legs when you are asked to play on both ends of the floor for those 30 minutes. The added effort in practice alone could be enough to affect those player's legs before the opening tip. It's hard for me to imagine how lax practices were, when they didn't work on defense before.

Is JBo the perfect PG? No I’m not arguing that. Is he an abover average PG in the B1G? Unlikely. However I do think he’s the best option this team has at that position, and that’s where he is best suited.
WOW, I've not seen this take before. I'm not sure how anyone can argue that Connor isn't better at the PG than Bohannon. I'll bet not even JBo would make that argument.

I'm curious as to why you think this??

Previous poster mentioned his shot is off, I've noticed he's moving forward on his shot, normally he squares and goes strait up. I think he has let it affect his game. Too much shot hunting. I hope he embraces the freedom of playing off the ball. I believe he's close, I expect a big game soon.

The Iowa team as a whole isn't shooting the 3 very well. The numbers got a little better after the ISU game,but they are still not good.

His shot will come around eventually, too much success in the past to think otherwise. Some may think he has been chucking shots but I don't see that as the case at all. Most of his shots have been good looks, they just are not falling consistently yet. Also, he's actually attempting less 3 pointers per 40 than he did his first two seasons. He attempted 8.5 3s per 40 his first two years and is averaging 7.4 per 40 this year. So at least he isn't forcing things too much knowing his shot has been struggling.

I'm not too worried about his assist numbers. The team as a whole shot under 40% in both games he posted a donut in assists. As has already been mentioned, he's playing more off ball due to Connor playing 21+ mpg. He's also down 3 mpg compared to last year because the team actually has another player capable of handling the ball. Then as Rob pointed out, FTA per game as a team is up by about 10 on the year. That's basically 5 less possessions to potentially get an assist on. He had 5 assists against ISU and 8 against Oregon. It's not like his passing has been nonexistent the whole year.

Honestly once his shot starts falling, I think he can be a better passing version of what Ben Brust was for Wisconsin when Connor is in the game with him.

Honestly...I'm not worried about Bohannon's assist numbers. That will come around. It's the 21 assists the guys he's guarding had the past two games I'm worried about. Winston worked his way to the basket and got easy dump off's for dunks most of the game. Iowa State was just taking it to the hole and getting fouled.

Now Winston is playing as good as a point I've seen in the country right now...so I'll take that with a grain of salt...that was a really tough match up. The problem is there are many Winston's in the B10 (Carson Edwards, Simpson at Michigan, Trice at Wisconsin, etc...etc.). The B10 is scary right now from top to bottom. Hell, I watched Illinois yesterday and they put 5 athletes on the floor and absolutely hound you for 40 minutes...it's relentless. They need more offensive players...but damn...that's no easy out.

The only problem with the theory that playing tougher defense is making us tired on offense is I haven't seen evidence that our offense starts out strong and slowly gets worse as the game goes on.

My theory is that when you're down big, the opposing defense softens up, making it easier to score. We spent a lot of last season down big. Thus, better offensive numbers than we should have had.
You don't notice those 4 and 5 minute scoring droughts in the 2nd half, huh? Wow. I'm more stunned than usual.

Last time I checked, "droughts" are also defined as "runs" by your opponent. Is it OK for us to have "runs"?

Bohannon has never been described as a talented passer. Moving off ball and the team getting free throws more is going to get that number down. His greatest asset is scoring.

I think the bigger concern is just his demeanor and his shot being off some. Someone pointed out him not squaring his shoulders even on freethrows, for player who almost broke Chris Streets free throw record, that's concerning.

I think he feels the pressure of potentially losing his starter role. The team is also playing at a slower pace, in most games, and I don't think he is following that naturally. He just doesn't seem to get in the flow.

He needs to understand even if he gets unseated as a starter, he'll still be able to be the reason Iowa win or loses a game. Just look to Baer, he has games coming off the bench and taking over the game. (still within the flow of the offense) Baer lost his starting role and he didn't let that affect his game.

He just needs to have some humility about not being a traditional PG. His teammates need his scoring, so hopefully he can a. ccept the change that is role has adjusted to

giphy.gif

Against Pitt and especially at Michigan State our offense was rather questionable, however the majority of the other games we have been alright. Against the clones we played very well, other than turnovers, and played very aggressively moving the ball in transition quite nicely. We are OK offensively and once we pass the ball inside like Cordell we will be even better.....

Bohannon is adjusting to his injury and something is not quite right with his shot. He doesn't look comfortable shooting the ball. The only time he has looked true to form was the first threes in the clone game. He will be back, and when he is we will be even better. When he starts nailing those threes, and he certainly will. You can bet on that, and take it to the bank, we will be a tough out for any team not named The Spartans at Lansing.....

I do like Connor and Bo in the game at crunch time along with Baer and JoeW. They are very savvy basketball players and all can hit pressure free throws in the last minutes. They have found a way to get the ball inbounds against a strong press much better than at MSG and present problems for the opponents. With even a small lead Connor and Bo can dribble around, running the clock down until they are fouled late in the possession, and make almost every free shot.....

Connor is adept at getting into the enemies heads. He does it the entire game and it really irritates them and throws them off their game. The clones were infuriated by his trash talk and attitude, his timely nudges, barely legal that throw them off balance. He takes it to the basket and usually draws a foul while smashing the opponent in the face while shooting, making the basket and/or gaining free throws. I watched this happen against LardAss. Connor was on the free throw line nailing every one of them while Lard was rubbing his lip and looking for blood on his fingers.....

Bo has always been to get into the opponents' heads. Last season he would stroll in front of them just before they would shoot free throws with his mouthpiece hanging out of his mouth, most insolently. He also would walk in front of their bench with mouthpiece hanging during pauses in the game. These are serious tactics that are simply maddening to the opponents.....

We are going to be alright. JoeW is perhaps the best defender on the team right now. He keeps his man in front of him and uses his hands very well. When he feels completely comfortable, he is going to be a ton of fun to watch and a nightmare for the opposition. He is always around the ball like Aaron White was. That rebound under the basket and pass to Tyler for the bucket in the second half Thursday night was very nice......

With Cordell in the game, the team has a different attitude. He is another one who plays a superior mind game with the enemy.....

Things are going to be Alright......

Long, meandering musings from the mind of an unrepentant homer.....

Nothing else.....

:cool:

Last edited:
WOW, I've not seen this take before. I'm not sure how anyone can argue that Connor isn't better at the PG than Bohannon. I'll bet not even JBo would make that argument.

I'm curious as to why you think this??
JBo was the third best offensive point guard in the B1G last year. We all know his defense isn’t good but that is the case whether at the one or two position.

Against Pitt and especially at Michigan State our offense was rather questionable, however the majority of the other games we have been alright. Against the clones we played very well, other than turnovers, and played very aggressively moving the ball in transition quite nicely. We are OK offensively and once we pass the ball inside like Cordell we will be even better.....

Bohannon is adjusting to his injury and something is not quite right with his shot. He doesn't look comfortable shooting the ball. The only time he has looked true to form was the first three in the clone game. He will be back, and when he is we will be even better. When he starts nailing those threes, and he certainly will. You can bet on that, and take it to the bank, we will be a tough out for any team not named The Spartans at Lansing.....

I do like Connor and Bo in the game at crunch time along with Baer and JoeW. They are very savvy basketball players and all can hit pressure free throws in the last minutes. They have found a way to get the ball inbounds against a strong press much better than at MSG and present problems for the opponents. With even a small lead Connor and Bo can dribble around, running the clock down until they are fouled late in the possession, and make almost every free shot.....

Connor is adept at getting into the enemies heads. He does it the entire game and it really irritates them and throws them off their game. The clones were infuriated by his trash talk and attitude, his timely nudges, barely legal that throw them off balance. He takes it to the basket and usually draws a foul while smashing the opponent in the face while shooting, making the basket and/or gaining free throws. I watched this happen against LardAss. Connor was on the free throw line nailing every one of them while Lard was rubbing his lip and looking for blood on his fingers.....

Bo has always been to get into the opponents' heads. Last season he would stroll in front of them just before they would shoot free throws with his mouthpiece hanging out of his mouth, most insolently. He also would walk in front of their bench with mouthpiece hanging during pauses in the game. These are serious tactics that are simply maddening to the opponents.....

We are going to be alright. JoeW is perhaps the best defender on the team right now. He keeps his man in front of him and uses his hands very well. When he feels completely comfortable, he is going to be a ton of fun to watch and a nightmare for the opposition. He is always around the ball like Aaron White was. That rebound under the basket and pass to Tyler for the bucket in the second half Thursday night was very nice......

With Cordell in the game, the team has a different attitude. He is another one who plays a superior mind game with the enemy.....

Things are going to be Alright......

Long, meandering musings from the mind of an unrepentant homer.....

Nothing else.....

:cool:
What injury?