Iowa PG Bohannon 0 Assists

If he is anything like the kids I know, he dedicates every spare minute of his life to Fortnight. Obviously these kids need lives too, but if I had to guess, he's gaming way more than he's practicing basketball. I dont blame him. That shit is addictive as hell.
I’d guess he’s not doing that.

I’d guess his sophomore slump is blooming late.

So would it then be fair to say Tyler Cook sucks because his record is 14-24? Or is JBo the only reason we suck?

And trust me if we had another option at the Point Guard position I would be all for it. I’m just not sure we have that right now.

The point I’m making here is our offense doesn’t seem to be clicking like it did at times last year, which is surprising given we upgraded the 3 spot by a ton with Weiskamp. The only other notable change we have made is playing JBo off the ball a lot more. Maybe he is better suited to have the ball in his hands. Again that doesn’t mean he’s an awesome point guard by any stretch, but it just means that might be the best bet with this particular roster that Fran has built.
Remind me how many starts TC had at PG, please.
Our offense isn't clicking like it did last year because playing defense is hard on the legs. It takes energy. Even bad defense when the effort is there. Especially for players that like to shoot from outside.
And you're right about the roster that Fran built. It doesn't really matter where Bohannon plays. This roster has a lot of weaknesses right now.

Our offense isn't clicking like it did last year because playing defense is hard on the legs. It takes energy. Even bad defense when the effort is there. Especially for players that like to shoot from outside.
And you're right about the roster that Fran built. It doesn't really matter where Bohannon plays. This roster has a lot of weaknesses right now.

EXACTLY!!! Well said Lightning

Point guard is the most important position, I totally agree with that. But basketball is still a team sport and I don’t think JBo can be solely blamed for all the losses last year.

Jbo’s freshman year he led us to wins over Iowa State, Michigan, @ Maryland , @ UW, so he’s certainly capabale of beating good teams as a PG, with the right tools around him. If he would have started from day one that year that team might have made the dance.

We will see how it plays out but we do know he’s capable of playing better ball than we’ve seen thus far this season. I just think in order to realize it he might need to spend a little more time with the ball in his hand. We have tons of guard issues right now.

I wonder how much lower the effective FG % will be by the end of the season. This year vs last. I'll bet it's 6 or 7% lower.

About 3.9 percent lower right now.

'17-'18:
FG = 946
3M = 252
FGA = 1,975
EFG% = [946 + (0.5 * 252)] / 1,975 = .543

'18-'19'
FG = 195
3M = 59
FGA = 445
EFG% = [195 + (0.5 * 59 )] / 445 = .504

Some players have an easier time getting into the flow of the game when they have command of the ball most of the time. Bohannon used to be the primary ball-handler, and I question if he is having a hard time adjusting to playing off the ball. Not only are his assists down, but he's also struggling with his shot.

Could playing harder on the defensive end be causing a negative impact? It's possible, but, I don't really see him playing defense any harder or better than he has the last two seasons. He still struggles to keep quicker guards in front of him, and, unfortunately, always will.

As for his shot, I actually used him as an example of proper shooting mechanics to my son, who is just beginning basketball. In slow-mo, you can see that he is not squaring up his shoulders to the basket like he normally does. He is letting his left shoulder drift to the left. When he squares up, he is money. I'm surprised that the coaches haven't picked up on that. He's even doing it at the FT line.

Last edited:
If he is anything like the kids I know, he dedicates every spare minute of his life to Fortnight. Obviously these kids need lives too, but if I had to guess, he's gaming way more than he's practicing basketball. I dont blame him. That shit is addictive as hell.

I hope you are not Sirius...

JBO has always said, "I am a point guard." Now, after two years, we have seen him moved to shooting guard. Do you think that may take a while to sink in? I am not a JBO hater like some on this board. I think he is a non traditional point guard who scores more points from 3 range and is not a drive and dish talent. Of course, he lacks defensive skills, although I really don't think he is as bad as some would have you believe; in fact, I think he has improved on D quite a bit with the new team emphasis. Iowa has CMAC as a new point guard, has a freshman at small forward, has moved Jordon to shooting guard, and has increased reliance on Kriener and TC to defend the rim and rebound. That is a lot of change for a team that has pretty experienced players.

Something is up with his play not only in that department but overall. His D is alright. Not great or anything but not terrible. In fact he's probably better than he was last yr at it. But offensively he's just off. His shot his aggressiveness at trying to get himself looks and just everything. I hope he can get in a groove here pretty soon we could sure use him. Plus when he's on he's just fun as all get out to watch
Quicker players are pressing him, he can't drive by them, he is having difficulty getting good shots off. Coaches know "the book" on him.

Don't know why some are blaming any particular player. They are an equation of FM. Didn't JBo have a thigh bruise. Those things take years to heal.

Bottom line he's an ideal 6th player on most good teams.

Don't know why some are blaming any particular player. They are an equation of FM. Didn't JBo have a thigh bruise. Those things take years to heal.

Bottom line he's an ideal 6th player on most good teams.
He probably belongs on UNI's team, where he would blister Iowa over and over.

Point guard is the most important position, I totally agree with that. But basketball is still a team sport and I don’t think JBo can be solely blamed for all the losses last year.

Jbo’s freshman year he led us to wins over Iowa State, Michigan, @ Maryland , @ UW, so he’s certainly capabale of beating good teams as a PG, with the right tools around him. If he would have started from day one that year that team might have made the dance.

We will see how it plays out but we do know he’s capable of playing better ball than we’ve seen thus far this season. I just think in order to realize it he might need to spend a little more time with the ball in his hand. We have tons of guard issues right now.
I put a lot more blame on a PG's shoulders, than I do a PF. Nobody is ever going to change my mind on that. This is my opinion of what a PG should do. A PG should set the tone for the entire team, on the defensive end of the floor. Asking a guard like Bohannon to shoulder that responsibility lies at the feet of the man that puts him in that position. Fran McCaffery. There's a reason why Bo Ryan didn't offer Jordan Bohannon a ride. In spite of the fact that he already had 2 Bohannon brothers play for him. In spite of the fact that Jordan had better high school stats than either of his brothers. In spite of the fact that Jordan was the higher ranked prospect of all of the Bohannon brothers. Bo Ryan coaches defense first.

I put a lot more blame on a PG's shoulders, than I do a PF. Nobody is ever going to change my mind on that. This is my opinion of what a PG should do. A PG should set the tone for the entire team, on the defensive end of the floor. Asking a guard like Bohannon to shoulder that responsibility lies at the feet of the man that puts him in that position. Fran McCaffery. There's a reason why Bo Ryan didn't offer Jordan Bohannon a ride. In spite of the fact that he already had 2 Bohannon brothers play for him. In spite of the fact that Jordan had better high school stats than either of his brothers. In spite of the fact that Jordan was the higher ranked prospect of all of the Bohannon brothers. Bo Ryan coaches defense first.
Fwiw at the time Jordan was being recruited most people close to the Wisconsin program will tell you that Gard was almost exclusively in charge of the recruiting.

But you are correct, at Wisconsin especially under Bo you didn’t see the floor until you proved you could play high level defense. Under Fran that’s not even close to the truth.

But back to the point, again I agree PG is the most important position and I agree it would be very nice to have a better option there. Maybe Joe T will be that guy in the future, although I’m not totally sold on that.

With the current roster we do have in place, I think offensively it might not be a bad idea to get the ball back in Jbo’s hands. I believe he had the third highest offensive rating of B1G PGs last year behind Carr and Winston. His defense will always be a concern, but as long as he’s going to be playing for us let’s let him do what he does best.

Fwiw at the time Jordan was being recruited most people close to the Wisconsin program will tell you that Gard was almost exclusively in charge of the recruiting.

But you are correct, at Wisconsin especially under Bo you didn’t see the floor until you proved you could play high level defense. Under Fran that’s not even close to the truth.

But back to the point, again I agree PG is the most important position and I agree it would be very nice to have a better option there. Maybe Joe T will be that guy in the future, although I’m not totally sold on that.

With the current roster we do have in place, I think offensively it might not be a bad idea to get the ball back in Jbo’s hands. I believe he had the third highest offensive rating of B1G PGs last year behind Carr and Winston. His defense will always be a concern, but as long as he’s going to be playing for us let’s let him do what he does best.
Doesn't matter whether or not Gard was "in charge" of the recruiting. Wisconsin wasn't offering a scholarship to anyone that Bo didn't sign off on. And from what I heard, Jordan really wanted an offer from Wisconsin. That's what I heard from people around the Linnmar basketball program. So, take that for what it's worth.

Isn't that kind of the game plan though? Iowa usually shoots a LOT of FT's compared to other teams.

Last year Iowa ranked 97th nationally in free throws attempted at 21.2 per game.

This season, through eight games, Iowa is leading the nation in FT attempts per game at 32.4 per game.

Iowa leads the nation in free throws attempted per game. You lose assists when that happens.
That tells part of the story, but not the whole thing. There is no denying that our offense is not playing as well this year as they did last year. Lightning suggested that’s because we are spending more energy on defense, maybe that’s part of it.

I would have expected Iowa’s offense to improve nicely with the addition of Weiskamp, but that hasn’t happened to date. The only other noticeable change to the team on offense this year is that JBo is playing a lot more off of the ball.