Iowa PG Bohannon 0 Assists

In the last 2 games.. Amazing!! Averaging 2.6 on the season Yikes!!!

So, from a data analysis perspective, Jordan has dropped from 5.4 to 2.5 assists this year. Connor has improved from 1.8 (in 4 games) to 3.4 (in 8 games) and Tyler Cook has improved from 1.8 to 2.6 assists/game. So, Jordan has lost some assists to Connor (due to Connor playing more PG) and some to Tyler (I would say some improved passing).

Now, 0 assists in 2 B1G games for Bohannon ... that seems improbable.

Something is up with his play not only in that department but overall. His D is alright. Not great or anything but not terrible. In fact he's probably better than he was last yr at it. But offensively he's just off. His shot his aggressiveness at trying to get himself looks and just everything. I hope he can get in a groove here pretty soon we could sure use him. Plus when he's on he's just fun as all get out to watch

That doesn't matter. Bohannon's never been the type of player to generate offense off of his passing ability. His getting assists is more the function of the offense, IMO. The offense hasn't functioned really well the last 2 games, so, he hasn't had many assists. It's not like he's slinging the ball around like Jason Williams or anything.

Something is up with his play not only in that department but overall. His D is alright. Not great or anything but not terrible. In fact he's probably better than he was last yr at it. But offensively he's just off. His shot his aggressiveness at trying to get himself looks and just everything. I hope he can get in a groove here pretty soon we could sure use him. Plus when he's on he's just fun as all get out to watch
His defense is better. I'll give him that. It's still not up to BIG quality but he's making the effort. His transition D is still bad.

As a whole the team is down from 18.2 APG(tied for 4th in the nation) last season to 14.0 APG this season.

His defense is better. I'll give him that. It's still not up to BIG quality but he's making the effort. His transition D is still bad.
Yeah that's fair. There's no need to sugar coat it. He's got a low ceiling with that.... Always will

I've felt that assists from him were a bonus, he needs to shoot well from the 3 point line to bring value to the team. To go with the 0 assists, in the last 2 games, he's also not shot the ball well. I'm presuming that will turn around shortly, tomorrow would be nice, and that will be good for Iowa.

You don’t accumulate the assists he did just by sheer luck or being in the right system. He did this for consecutive seasons even though after his freshman year everyone said all of his assists were jump shots by Jok.

Is he John Stockton? No but he can be pretty solid at setting up others.

This year he has spent much more time off the ball, which doesn’t allow him to set up others as often. Iowa’s offense thus far hasn’t been as good as it was at times last year and JBo hasn’t looked himself.

I’ve always said you have to accept the kid for what he is, which is a Point guard who doesn’t have much ability or quickness to penetrate. With that said his passing and shooting had him as I believe a top 3 offensive point guard in the league last year. His defense is what it is at either guard spot.

I really think we need to get JBo back to the way he played the last two seasons which means he will need to spend the majority of his court time at the PG position. Connor has shown to be a pretty good backup and is expecially important in situations where teams are going to look to pressure us.

In essence you are taking away part of what JBo does well by moving him off the ball. Last year he had the second highest Offensive rating on the team. Right now he’s 8th of the regulars in offensive rating. Part of that is the cold shooting no question, but I still think he’s better suited with the ball in his hands.

If he is anything like the kids I know, he dedicates every spare minute of his life to Fortnight. Obviously these kids need lives too, but if I had to guess, he's gaming way more than he's practicing basketball. I dont blame him. That shit is addictive as hell.

If he is anything like the kids I know, he dedicates every spare minute of his life to Fortnight. Obviously these kids need lives too, but if I had to guess, he's gaming way more than he's practicing basketball. I dont blame him. That shit is addictive as hell.
JBo is known for being a gamer.

You don’t accumulate the assists he did just by sheer luck or being in the right system. He did this for consecutive seasons even though after his freshman year everyone said all of his assists were jump shots by Jok.

Is he John Stockton? No but he can be pretty solid at setting up others.

This year he has spent much more time off the ball, which doesn’t allow him to set up others as often. Iowa’s offense thus far hasn’t been as good as it was at times last year and JBo hasn’t looked himself.

I’ve always said you have to accept the kid for what he is, which is a Point guard who doesn’t have much ability or quickness to penetrate. With that said his passing and shooting had him as I believe a top 3 offensive point guard in the league last year. His defense is what it is at either guard spot.

I really think we need to get JBo back to the way he played the last two seasons which means he will need to spend the majority of his court time at the PG position. Connor has shown to be a pretty good backup and is expecially important in situations where teams are going to look to pressure us.
We can't win with him at the PG spot. Not against BIG teams. A top 3 offensive PG on a 14-24 BIG team? No offense but I don't think you understand exactly what it is a PG is supposed to do.

We can't win with him at the PG spot. Not against BIG teams. A top 3 offensive PG on a 14-24 BIG team? No offense but I don't think you understand exactly what it is a PG is supposed to do.
No offense taken. You’re the guy who said Juwan McCloud was the best Point Guard at PTL, and we all know how that turned out, so maybe you’re not exactly the point guard whisperer.

Iowa has won big games against quality basketball teams with JBo at the PG spot, those mostly came in his freshman year. Iowa did give Michigan everything they wanted last year just weeks before that Michigan team made the national championship game.

Is JBo the perfect PG? No I’m not arguing that. Is he an abover average PG in the B1G? Unlikely. However I do think he’s the best option this team has at that position, and that’s where he is best suited.

I don’t think you are giving him any credit for his passing ability. Due some of his assists come form Fran’s system? Sure. But you don’t rack up those kind of assists number just because of that. This kid has had many 10 assist games in his career. Is he the blow by you drive and kick PG? Absolutely not, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t an able passer.

To me we lost a ton of games last year because we were atrocious on defense. JBo played his part in that, but as a whole it looks like we’ve improved some on that end. Our offense has looked worse and I can’t quite put my finger on why, especially considering Weiskamp is an upgrade. The only other notable change to our lineup has been JBo playing less point. That’s where I’m coming from anyway.

Last edited:
No offense taken. You’re he guy who said Juwan McCloud was the best Point Guard at PTL, and we all know how that turned out, so maybe you’re not exactly the point guard whisperer.

Iowa has won big games against quality basketball teams with JBo at the PG spot, those mostly came in his freshman year. Iowa did give Michigan everything they wanted last year just weeks before that Michigan team made the national championship game.

I JBo the perfect PG? No I’m not arguing that.
I'm not always right about a player, after watching them for 1 or 2 games, that's true.
I think it's safe to say that I can let Bohannon's 14-24 (15-26 if you include BTT) BIG record as the starting PG, be my evidence on this one.

I'm not always right about a player, after watching them for 1 or 2 games, that's true.
I think it's safe to say that I can let Bohannon's 14-24 (15-26 if you include BTT) BIG record as the starting PG, be my evidence on this one.
So would it then be fair to say Tyler Cook sucks because his record is 14-24? Or is JBo the only reason we suck?

And trust me if we had another option at the Point Guard position I would be all for it. I’m just not sure we have that right now.

The point I’m making here is our offense doesn’t seem to be clicking like it did at times last year, which is surprising given we upgraded the 3 spot by a ton with Weiskamp. The only other notable change we have made is playing JBo off the ball a lot more. Maybe he is better suited to have the ball in his hands. Again that doesn’t mean he’s an awesome point guard by any stretch, but it just means that might be the best bet with this particular roster that Fran has built.