Iowa/ISU - is there a single position...

UrbandaleHawk01

on offense or defense where you would rather have the Cyclone starter over the Hawkeye starter?

This whole convo started because a friend tried telling me that there is not a distinct advantage for either team @ QB. I of course disagreed saying I would take Stanzi in a hearbeat. But I thought it was an interesting discussion.

very interesting conversation indeed--- i dont' know ISU's roster well enough to make a decent guess--but the fact that your friend wouldn't trade stanzi is just plain silly---- i dont' know, i sure wouldn't mind having a QB who is 19-4 on my team if i was an ISU fan..... :confused:

on offense or defense where you would rather have the Cyclone starter over the Hawkeye starter?

This whole convo started because a friend tried telling me that there is not a distinct advantage for either team @ QB. I of course disagreed saying I would take Stanzi in a hearbeat. But I thought it was an interesting discussion.

I would take their ARob over ours, but I like our rb depth better. I might take Franklin over Reisner but again, I like our overall depth at TE better. Other than that, I don't think so.

I would take Osemele, Lamaak, Franklin, Alexander Robinson, David Sims, and Leonard Johnson for sure, others could be debated but I think those are the obvious ones. Sims might have to play in Greenwood's spot but he could definitely play one of the safety spots.

As far as Arnaud/Stanzi goes, I'd rather have Arnaud in ISU's system and Stanzi in Iowa's system, both by a long shot. They really aren't that comparable. Stanzi would be awful in ISU's system.

very interesting conversation indeed--- i dont' know ISU's roster well enough to make a decent guess--but the fact that your friend wouldn't trade stanzi is just plain silly---- i dont' know, i sure wouldn't mind having a QB who is 19-4 on my team if i was an ISU fan..... :confused:

So last year Mark Sanchez was a better QB than Aaron Rodgers because he took his team further in the playoffs?

Stanzi may be a better QB than Arnaud but it isn't because he is 19-4. He is 19-4 because of a great defense that has saved him countless times.

So last year Mark Sanchez was a better QB than Aaron Rodgers because he took his team further in the playoffs?

Stanzi may be a better QB than Arnaud but it isn't because he is 19-4. He is 19-4 because of a great defense that has saved him countless times.
Stanzi has had a better QB rating than Arnaud each year and has thrown for more yards, which says something considering how many picks he throws. Yes, Arnaud is better on his feet and is a true dual threat QB. However, the fact that Stanzi is 19-4 does come into play because he wins ballgames. He has some of the best 4th quarter stats in the entire nation which helps prove that he does, in fact, win ballgames. Ricky's mental toughness and ability to flush plays gives him the advantage over Arnaud because it makes him the better overall player - tangibles and intangibles. You pressure Arnaud and he folds.

Stanzi has had a better QB rating than Arnaud each year and has thrown for more yards, which says something considering how many picks he throws. Yes, Arnaud is better on his feet and is a true dual threat QB. However, the fact that Stanzi is 19-4 does come into play because he wins ballgames. He has some of the best 4th quarter stats in the entire nation which helps prove that he does, in fact, win ballgames. Ricky's mental toughness and ability to flush plays gives him the advantage over Arnaud because it makes him the better overall player - tangibles and intangibles. You pressure Arnaud and he folds.

Agree. Stanzi is better because of what you said. Not because he is 19-4. And I really don't think Stanzi is a good QB either. They wouldn't be in 4th quarter games without that defense

Agree. Stanzi is better because of what you said. Not because he is 19-4. And I really don't think Stanzi is a good QB either. They wouldn't be in 4th quarter games without that defense

Stanzi will probably make an NFL roster next year. Hes tough, a good leader and has a good arm. His decision making was beyond poor at times last year but if that improves this year like many expect I dont see how you can say he isnt a good QB.

Back to the question at hand I would take Alexander Robinson in a heartbeat

Dude ... football is a team sport. You can't win if you don't score points. Iowa's D, however talented, doesn't put points on the board like many of the other Ds out there. However, they typically do help give the O nice field position. However, that alone doesn't equate to points. It is a fact that Stanzi leads the Iowa down the field and into the end-zone. Stanzi's arm propelled Iowa to victories over PSU in '08 and MSU in '09 ... and those are but two examples. While Sash may have helped swing momentum back in favor of Iowa in the Indiana game ... Iowa wouldn't have won without Stanzi's big 4th quarter.

I'd take Lamaak at C ... and that's it.

ISU may have a few other players that are potentially "better" than their Iowa equivalents ... however, I'm not convinced that they'd be a better option in Iowa's offensive or defensive systems.

A few examples ....

- Sims is probably better than Greenwood ... however, there's no way that I'd take him over Greenwood (besides, his off-field behavior draws up a big red flag).

- Alex Robinson is possibly better than his Iowa equivalents. However, no way do I take him over Iowa's guys.

- Franklin is definitely up there with Reisner ... however, again I douldn't take him over Reisner.

- Osemele could possibly be a good OG at Iowa. However, I'm not convinced that he'd be able to move well enough to usurp Gettis or MacMillan.

- I love Knott's upside. He's probably better than Bruce Davis. However, I wouldn't trade Bruce for him. However, he's definitely NOT better than Tarp.

- Leonard Johnson is probably better than either Castillo or Hyde ... however, he's not better than Prater. However, again, I wouldn't take him over his Iowa equivalents ... ISU has given up the long ball way too much.

- Darks and/or Sedrick Johnson might be better than Sandeman, however, I wouldn't take them over Colin.

I would take Osemele, Lamaak, Franklin, Alexander Robinson, David Sims, and Leonard Johnson for sure, others could be debated but I think those are the obvious ones. Sims might have to play in Greenwood's spot but he could definitely play one of the safety spots.

As far as Arnaud/Stanzi goes, I'd rather have Arnaud in ISU's system and Stanzi in Iowa's system, both by a long shot. They really aren't that comparable. Stanzi would be awful in ISU's system.

I would like to take a few of those guys mentioned but I'm assuming he means at the same position they currently play. In order to take sims you would have to choose him over Sash, etc. Osemele is very good but I still think I'd rather have Reiff. Lamaak is solid and I could see that as one position where ISU is stronger. Sims is a toss up with Sash and Leonard Johnson is a pretty good player, but I don't know that he is any better than what Iowa currently has at cb.

For those saying Alexander Robinson over Adam, I'll be interested to see if you still say that come November if Jewel ends up being as good as advertised. Don't remember which one, but a Big 10 Network analyst said he wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Jewel ends up with the Big 10 rushing title. (I realize that's a tall order with John Clay up in Wiscy, but still - he was clearly very impressed with Jewel)

And I know this has been brought up countless times, but without the big run against NIU the ISU's ARob was largley ineffective.

I would like to take a few of those guys mentioned but I'm assuming he means at the same position they currently play. In order to take sims you would have to choose him over Sash, etc. Osemele is very good but I still think I'd rather have Reiff. Lamaak is solid and I could see that as one position where ISU is stronger. Sims is a toss up with Sash and Leonard Johnson is a pretty good player, but I don't know that he is any better than what Iowa currently has at cb.

Leonard Johnson is a bit of an enigma to me. To ISU fans, he's basically an internet legend. However, through the past few years, he's been burnt so bad, you'd think that he was a product of my wife's cooking.

Of course, in LJ's defense, he's definitely flashed brilliance. I've just yet to see it translate consistently over to the gridiron. This year, however, may prove to be the season when it does. We'll see ....

For those saying Alexander Robinson over Adam, I'll be interested to see if you still say that come November if Jewel ends up being as good as advertised. Don't remember which one, but a Big 10 Network analyst said he wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Jewel ends up with the Big 10 rushing title. (I realize that's a tall order with John Clay up in Wiscy, but still - he was clearly very impressed with Jewel)

And I know this has been brought up countless times, but without the big run against NIU the ISU's ARob was largley ineffective.

7 and 8 in the box all night will do that.

Osemele over Reiff? LMAO!

Lamaak is about it.

LOL@ the Colin Franklin idiot, I wouldn't trade Franklin for CJ Fiedorowicz, let alone our starting TE.

GTFO

Latest posts