Iowa Football Investigation Discussion

Here's Iowa Football's Support Staff from last yearScreen Shot 2020-07-11 at 3.39.20 PM.png

You can see strength staff, analysts and operations HERE.

By my count, in addition to the 30 people pictured above, four of the five full-time employees in football strength and conditioning were white. Five of the six people in the operations staff were white. All three football analysts were white.

Perhaps the current players should have some say in what happens. If a number of players call for KF to be fired, then I'm with them. But if the majority of the players are still willing to play for KF and they feel like the positives of the program outweigh the negatives, shouldn't that be taken into account? They know what goes on within the football program better then any of us fans do.

I'm not trying to argue one way or the other, and I don't know if any players have called for KF to be fired or not, but it just seems to me like their opinion should count for something.

One of the problems about abuse us they tend to defend abusers. Also if they want him gone and he stays what then? Not a good option.

Is it not true?
Do athletes not have benefits and advantages that other students do not have?
Do smart kids not have benefits and advantages that other kids do not have?
Do kids with rich parents not have benefits and advantages other kids do not have?
I mean if you struggled with classes, had to pay your own way, were not exactly the life of the party in looks or personally, would your have the same perception of your college years as someone who has more advantages during their college years?
Does any of that have to do with race?
Is it then fair to put everyone's experience into a box and classify them as privileged vs those who do not attend college?
There was nothing in that video that was not true. There was nothing in that video that was racist. In fact I would argue that it was just the opposite.
But I understand. It's easier to look away from the light than directly at it.
Have you ever read the republic by Plato?
Especially the cave scene?

Is it not true?
Do kids with rich parents not have benefits and advantages other kids do not have?
I mean if you struggled with classes, had to pay your own way, were not exactly the life of the party in looks or personally, would your have the same perception of your college years as someone who has more advantages during their college years?
Is it then fair to put everyone's experience into a box and classify them as privileged vs those who do not attend college?
There was nothing in that video that was not true. There was nothing in that video that was racist. In fact I would argue that it was just the opposite.

Are you aware that blacks have 60 percent of white income and 10 percent of the wealth?

Is it not true?

In case you missed it, we're not having the overarching political discussion on the boards anymore. We can discuss these topics as they relate to Iowa sports, and in particular, the investigation into Iowa football.

The items you're discussing in this post have been debated by you and others on here for the last few months. You're not changing anyone's mind and they are not changing yours. Posting videos on hot-button racial discussion isn't happening here anymore. You can find other places to do that.

Well I think it needs to be part of the thought process in the investigation. I think it needs to be part of the thought process in general.
If the investigation does not adhere to the basic principles of what he was explaining, then any such investigation is flawed. Like he said the paper he discussed would not have received a passing grade.
That seems way more important in an investigation than some fan thinking KF or Wallace or whoever should be fired and yet those posts are allowed and several of them.

What the fans think about how things should be handled with Iowa Football won’t matter. The investigation is focusing on interviews with current and former players and coaches in hopes of getting the clearest picture possible.

Like I said it's easier to look away from the light.
The video was educational and true.
It's only a "hot topic" for those that don't agree with it. Still doesn't make it less true.
Isn't that what we want from any investigation? Then do we not want to understand the answers and reasoning and conclusion from any investigation? So that we don't run around calling it wrong, flawed or whatever else should it not say what someone thinks it should??

I really dont believe anything will come from this investigation and the program will suffer. GB and KF are masters (no pun intended) at raising money for the University. That is their greatest attribute. I believe the U will tell the lawyers thank you and move on without doing anything.

Shoot, GB got away with sexism. KF got away with almost killing players (yes, I know it was Doyle), but KF should be responsible for everything that happens within his program.

Someone mentioned recruiting earlier. You know that every black kid Iowa has interest in will be told by other coaches how racist the state and program are and their families would be putting their son at risk by sending them to Iowa.

Change is needed and not just a diversity position (a good step) and an entrenched 60 yo saying he will change things.

I really dont believe anything will come from this investigation and the program will suffer. GB and KF are masters (no pun intended) at raising money for the University. That is their greatest attribute. I believe the U will tell the lawyers thank you and move on without doing anything.

Shoot, GB got away with sexism. KF got away with almost killing players (yes, I know it was Doyle), but KF should be responsible for everything that happens within his program.

Someone mentioned recruiting earlier. You know that every black kid Iowa has interest in will be told by other coaches how racist the state and program are and their families would be putting their son at risk by sending them to Iowa.

Change is needed and not just a diversity position (a good step) and an entrenched 60 yo saying he will change things.
Thanks Swami!

No, his system was abusive and archaic and needs to go. If you can't see the connection, that's on you. If you can't see the evil in it it's on you. This isn't a sensitivity issue. It was decided, calloused, and abusive. It was a holdover from Jim Crow Law's only it was the Iowa Way Law. He needs to go. Iowa will be a traveling circus on the road and a zoo at home. If you want to have any chance of getting younger people involved in being a college football fan he needs to go.

I’ve had my differences with Ferentz over the years — his rigid offensive approach, promoting his kid to OC, the really poor way he and the athletics department handled not only rhabdo but the fallout, the difficulty he seems to have managing talented but egotistical players, especially Blacks. On the other hand I think he is a decent man, a good coach who does the best with what he has a limited recruiting pool, generous in terms of charity.

He hasn’t outwardly embarrassed his program and the university, in the sense of getting caught drinking beer with coeds from opposing schools or riding with a young woman not his wife on the back of a motorcycle.

I think he and Barta can weather this. But it’s going to have to be a huge PR offensive to show things have changed beyond the firing of a S&C coach.

I think they care more than people give them credit for. Being a coach is not easy.
Anyone that has more than one child understands how different children with the same parents and upbringing can be.
Now imagine 80 kids. With different parents and upbringing.
What unawakened people fail to realize is that everything you see, hear and ultimately feel is filtered through your personal glasses. Your perception of things are different than other people's. That's pretty obvious from when you are a kid and both looking at the same exact thing (say a cloud) yet seeing different things. I think that is a whole bunch of what is going on.
In the end just like the video Rob will not allow says, the individual is the ultimate minority.

There are plenty of videos that counter argue the video you posted.

We're not doing that anymore. You're doing fine expressing your view with your words. Let's just keep doing that.

I'm not good with words. Even Moses had Aaron.
I get it I really do. Videos that you approve of are allowed.
It's your site buddy, I am not arguing. How does it feel to be the oppressor?
My house, my rules and you don't ever reach into another man's refrigerator without asking. I get it.
Other than that, remember, it's not just veterans that wake up swinging. Lots of people do. Fact most do.

I think they care more than people give them credit for. Being a coach is not easy.
Anyone that has more than one child understands how different children with the same parents and upbringing can be.
Now imagine 80 kids. With different parents and upbringing.
What unawakened people fail to realize is that everything you see, hear and ultimately feel is filtered through your personal glasses. Your perception of things are different than other people's. That's pretty obvious from when you are a kid and both looking at the same exact thing (say a cloud) yet seeing different things. I think that is a whole bunch of what is going on.
In the end just like the video Rob will not allow says, the individual is the ultimate minority.

I have 6 kids. Like herding cats. Has nothing to do with basic human treatment. KF failed.

“Swami” slang for mind reader.

Just my opinion on how I see things shaking out. Like I said in my post these guys have already done some shady things and have gotten away with it. I feel like the same will happen here. They paid Doyle to be the scapegoat and hired a diversity coach.

I dont think these guys change much in the long run. They will be good dudes for a year or 2, but I dont think it will be sustainable for BF. Unless he matures real fast and a lot.

I’ve had my differences with Ferentz over the years — his rigid offensive approach, promoting his kid to OC, the really poor way he and the athletics department handled not only rhabdo but the fallout, the difficulty he seems to have managing talented but egotistical players, especially Blacks. On the other hand I think he is a decent man, a good coach who does the best with what he has a limited recruiting pool, generous in terms of charity.

He hasn’t outwardly embarrassed his program and the university, in the sense of getting caught drinking beer with coeds from opposing schools or riding with a young woman not his wife on the back of a motorcycle.

I think he and Barta can weather this. But it’s going to have to be a huge PR offensive to show things have changed beyond the firing of a S&C coach.
I don't think Iowa has the PR department to handle this. What recent issues have they gotten ahead of? Someone was asleep at the switch when this started. There's nothing to make me think that the suits in Iowa City now can handle this.

Latest posts