Iowa Football Investigation Discussion

The position is positive and needed. The program needs it. The program should move on without KF and Barta. We shouldn't need a position to make sure we are decent humans. KF and Barta failed at basic humanity.

Nice distraction from a positive move by the Iowa Athletic Department.
Hey, the line for Joe Pa and Kirk worshippers is over there...

Go suckle Kirk’s antler somewhere else. You can be only kinda sorta on board with this whole thing.

Human decency shouldn't have to be taught to a 60 yo. Nice ostrich move

No ostrich here, Gold. I do believe that the word “intent” should be considered. At this point KF and GB have clearly admitted to and apologized for racist behavior within the football program and beyond. They have vowed to correct the problem. The appointment of Binns is to be applauded. An investigation is in progress. The coaches are not KKK members who demonstrate for white power. I doubt that they have raised their children to hate people of color. Serious errors? Yes. Consequences are required. The level of those consequences must be measured. Again the word intent should be included. I have tried very hard since the late 60’s to correct my views on people of color. My estimation is that I harbor unintentional racist assumptions. Like the Iowa athletic department and the U of I, I will keep trying. You should, too, I assume.

No ostrich here, Gold. I do believe that the word “intent” should be considered. At this point KF and GB have clearly admitted to and apologized for racist behavior within the football program and beyond. They have vowed to correct the problem. The appointment of Binns is to be applauded. An investigation is in progress. The coaches are not KKK members who demonstrate for white power. I doubt that they have raised their children to hate people of color. Serious errors? Yes. Consequences are required. The level of those consequences must be measured. Again the word intent should be included. I have tried very hard since the late 60’s to correct my views on people of color. My estimation is that I harbor unintentional racist assumptions. Like the Iowa athletic department and the U of I, I will keep trying. You should, too, I assume.

Have you watched this? I believe in grace and forgiveness. KF when caught didn't change until he knew he had to.

KF is akin to a Confederate monument. Pls read. For healing we need to move on. The zoo at games that Iowa plays will be a huge distraction for years and hurt recruiting aside from the fact it the right thing to do. Here is the lady that wrote the below.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/opinion/confederate-monuments-racism.html
73287165_10158138439761955_6820758011441613206_o.jpg

At this point KF and GB have clearly admitted to and apologized for racist behavior within the football program and beyond. They have vowed to correct the problem.

Well heck ya they have vowed to correct the problem (after they have been caught). Their legacy and millions of $$$ personally on the line. If this was not going on would they be fixing the problem....NO. They knew they had problems last year following a review of the program and chose not to do anything. Now change is being forced bt the public and KF and GB have no choice.

Gold. I looked up “hyperbole “ in the dictionary, and your picture was there. You really really need to consider intent and nuance. Until then we will continue to disagree.

KF is akin to a Confederate monument. Pls read. For healing we need to move on. The zoo at games that Iowa plays will be a huge distraction for years and hurt recruiting aside from the fact it the right thing to do. Here is the lady that wrote the below.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/opinion/confederate-monuments-racism.html
73287165_10158138439761955_6820758011441613206_o.jpg

Oh, bugger off. To suggest Kirk has an old South mentality, is racist, raped black slaves, etc. is offensive and frankly ludicrous. You demean yourself making such comments.

Could KF have been more aware of changing racial attitudes and expectations? Of course. We all could have been and need to be.

Should he have been more in touch with comments being made to players by his staff, and been more inquisitive and sensitive when they were brought to his attention? It appears so.

But to suggest he’s the equivalent of a Confederate monument that needs to be torn down? Take that junk out of here. It diminishes the true evil and significance of the Confederacy.

Perhaps the current players should have some say in what happens. If a number of players call for KF to be fired, then I'm with them. But if the majority of the players are still willing to play for KF and they feel like the positives of the program outweigh the negatives, shouldn't that be taken into account? They know what goes on within the football program better then any of us fans do.

I'm not trying to argue one way or the other, and I don't know if any players have called for KF to be fired or not, but it just seems to me like their opinion should count for something.

Oh, bugger off. To suggest Kirk has an old South mentality, is racist, raped black slaves, etc. is offensive and frankly ludicrous. You demean yourself making such comments.

Could KF have been more aware of changing racial attitudes and expectations? Of course. We all could have been and need to be.

Should he have been more in touch with comments being made to players by his staff, and been more inquisitive and sensitive when they were brought to his attention? It appears so.

But to suggest he’s the equivalent of a Confederate monument that needs to be torn down? Take that junk out of here. It diminishes the true evil and significance of the Confederacy.
Context and perspective are dead in today's world. Emotional hyperbole reigns supreme.

No, his system was abusive and archaic and needs to go. If you can't see the connection, that's on you. If you can't see the evil in it it's on you. This isn't a sensitivity issue. It was decided, calloused, and abusive. It was a holdover from Jim Crow Law's only it was the Iowa Way Law. He needs to go. Iowa will be a traveling circus on the road and a zoo at home. If you want to have any chance of getting younger people involved in being a college football fan he needs to go.

Gold. I looked up “hyperbole “ in the dictionary, and your picture was there. You really really need to consider intent and nuance. Until then we will continue to disagree.

This was under your name. You just don't get it, like him.
hqdefault.jpg

Perhaps the current players should have some say in what happens. If a number of players call for KF to be fired, then I'm with them. But if the majority of the players are still willing to play for KF and they feel like the positives of the program outweigh the negatives, shouldn't that be taken into account? They know what goes on within the football program better then any of us fans do.

I'm not trying to argue one way or the other, and I don't know if any players have called for KF to be fired or not, but it just seems to me like their opinion should count for something.

Normally I would be completely against this but it this is a very unique case. And maybe the only way to really move past this is to get input from the current roster and past players.

I will give KF credit for hiring black assistants at position spots (Iowa has twice as many as Wisconsin & Minnesota) but still none and the coordinator spots. He would be wise to promote the assistant S&C coach as Doyle's replacement and also put him in charge of all disciplinary decision on the team. With what he has been involved in, he'll never be able to discipline a black player again without getting serious heat.

Unfortunately the damage may have already been done. Many have lost tremendous respect for him and its well deserved. He has a long road back if he ever gets back and maybe your suggestion is the first step there.

Latest posts