Iowa-Creighton scrimmage

That is very good news for the future of Hawkeye basketball, Jon......

Excellent exposure for Woody and Greg playing against McDermott who reminds me of a better shooting Nick Collison......

That is very good news for the future of Hawkeye basketball, Jon......

Excellent exposure for Woody and Greg playing against McDermott who reminds me of a better shooting Nick Collison......

How is losing good news? We have to start acting as if around here....

How is losing good news? We have to start acting as if around here....

Look grape...the way I see it is that Iowa needed a good measuring stick to where they really are. Why would it be all negative to lose by single digits, I am guessing Creighton didn't exactly try and make Iowa come away from it with "a good feeling" so it is good news. Consider this, if Creighton is a top 15 program, where does that really put Iowa? Yes enthusiasm should be tempered as it was a scrimmage.

Now, the coach in me is coming out here, but it isn't always bad to lose. Iowa has been practicing against themselves for a while, it is good to see someone else and get a feel of where you really are. We try and scrimmage as much as we can before we first play, same old grind sometimes makes teams too relaxed...plus at some point as a coach, how many times can you tell a player to correct something until they get burnt in a game situation? Relax it is a good thing the coaches can now look at what issues are there and work on fixing them and they didn't actually lose to find out.

I'm not saying it's bad news, jacknicolson and sportstalent, but to refer to it as "good news"? Reminds me of when we "barely lost" to Nebraska in '79 and Hayden Fry had a coronary about moral victories. It's indifferent news. The only way this scrimmage would have resulted in "good news" is if we'd beaten them.

Of course the curious cat in me wants to hear how Woodbury and Gesell did? I agree with the other comments here as well. To keep a top fifteen team to ten or less points is always good to hear especially when it's your first competition with freshmen point guards.

Of course the curious cat in me wants to hear how Woodbury and Gesell did? I agree with the other comments here as well. To keep a top fifteen team to ten or less points is always good to hear especially when it's your first competition with freshmen point guards.

Don't forget that Doug McDermott is a preseason All-American, BigD......

Excellent experience for Woody and Gabe.....

I'm not saying it's bad news, jacknicolson and sportstalent, but to refer to it as "good news"? Reminds me of when we "barely lost" to Nebraska in '79 and Hayden Fry had a coronary about moral victories. It's indifferent news. The only way this scrimmage would have resulted in "good news" is if we'd beaten them.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Iowa is a program trying to re-establish itself and Creighton is a program that is trying to maintian its status as a quality program. In no way can losing and finding out something about yourself in a game that does not count against you is not a bad thing.

I understand Hayden's viewpoint because I share the same one if you are talking about games during the regular season...that is the difference. If Iowa goes and gets throttled, not good at all it means that Iowa really isn't much better than the year before...they didn't and again it gives the staff a chance to see some things they don't in practice.

Latest posts