Iowa Basketball Recruits

I have said this time and time and time again. I wouldn't even be unhappy if Iowa got Locure.

deano, got ya. i've just decided to try and use my eye test on recruits. that's all i was trying to point out. though, this might be becoming a moot point as it appears iowa is sort of backing away from TL. but i'd still be okay with him on the team.

You're right that it more than likely is recently more than 30. But all 351? I would bet 30 is closer than 351.

I made a comment about 350+ D1 coaches agree with me. It was Hyperbole man, not sure why people are thinking that I literally meant every last D1 coach knows of Locure.

Carton was never really an option for Iowa, in my opinion, because of Connor. I believe Fran had to show the full court press because Carton is an in-state kid, but likely knew, DJ didn't want to come to Iowa. I have not heard or read where DJ has stated anything more than a cursory...the state school...love for Iowa. Never, have I felt DJ was seriously considering Iowa.

Fenton may end up at Iowa, but I doubt it. What is more likely, in my opinion, is Noah Hutchins winding up at Iowa. That is my speculation, but my understanding is that Iowa has been "following" Hutchins for some time and Hutchins is in Francis' back yard. I think NH picks Iowa if the offer is made. And to me, NH is the better "fit" pg for Iowa, considering Conner, than Carton.

Noah will have no problems finishing at B1G level if he comes to Iowa. He lacks consistent jumper but that can be worked on and fixed. But with JBo and Conner, we wouldn't need it to be an immediate fix.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FAF200E825C7C9FD2209FAF200E825C7&&FORM=VRDGAR
I like what I see on his video. Highlight clips don't tell the whole tale, of course. But he's got talent and athleticism.

Locures team played the D1 Minnesota team earlier this year. That D1 Minnesota team has Patrick, 5* Mathew Hurt, 4* PG Tyrell Terry, top 50 4* Zeke Nnaji. I'd bet there were over 30 coaches at that one game that one game alone, when Locure played that D1 Minnesota team
No there weren't. McCaffery was there to watch his kid but I'm pretty sure it was a dead period.

I like what I see on his video. Highlight clips don't tell the whole tale, of course. But he's got talent and athleticism.

I know watching a few videos of a player at his best and comparing them to another's player is less than reliable but when I see NH's videos and compare it to DJC's, I don't see all that much difference really. They're about the same size, both are athletic, have good vision and handles, pass well, neither are outstanding shooters.

Sometimes I think if the recruiting momentum gets going on a player like DJC then it exaggerates his value while the lack of momentum for another player like NH gives the impression that the former is much better than the latter when actually their abilities are closer to equal.

But I'm sure someone could destroy my theory and I have to concede I'm far from a recruiting expert.

A couple thoughts on DJ Carton:

If we were to lay out a perfect scenario for the 2019 class given everything that has taken place up until now (not a probable scenario, but a somewhat realistic and "perfect world" scenario), I think it would look something like this: DJ would visit IU/UM/OSU first. He'd get done visiting those three schools first and obviously not commit yet. Then, he would use one if his OFFICIAL visits at Iowa. This would show that the top 6 was not really a top 6 and at least one of those teams was fluff. (because if all were even, Iowa would be the easiest to not waste one of his 5 official visits on) While on his official visit to Iowa, he would have coordinated it with Patty Mac and ideally another big time prospect. LET ME DREAM and say Trayce Jackson Davis comes along with them and then they all commit and we get all three.

All I'm saying is.. right now everyone seems very doom and gloom about DJ. And if Duke or someone else offers that may be the case. But right now, I think everything is playing out ideally for Fran.

I know watching a few videos of a player at his best and comparing them to another's player is less than reliable but when I see NH's videos and compare it to DJC's, I don't see all that much difference really. They're about the same size, both are athletic, have good vision and handles, pass well, neither are outstanding shooters.

Sometimes I think if the recruiting momentum gets going on a player like DJC then it exaggerates his value while the lack of momentum for another player like NH gives the impression that the former is much better than the latter when actually their abilities are closer to equal.

But I'm sure someone could destroy my theory and I have to concede I'm far from a recruiting expert.
It can't always be explained. That's for sure. A couple of things you can't really determine by a highlight video, is a players basketball IQ and his work ethic. I've seen Division 1 talent play with YMCA effort, more times than I could count.

if we do land Noah (and not Carton/Locure) then it will be a very fortunate thing, in my opinion.

Carton is an important recruit not because he is such a god at basketball. He is important because hype or not he is now the 5th or 6th highest rated recruit out of Iowa in modern history. He happens also to be at a position that appears to be Fran McCaffery's crux. It really has become a matter of perception. Fran has been recruiting this kid for 2 maybe even 3 years now. If he can't land him then the perception might be catastrophic. If the boosters lose faith in McCaffery to recruit on top of losing faith in winning then the writing is on the wall.

Carton is an important recruit not because he is such a god at basketball. He is important because hype or not he is now the 5th or 6th highest rated recruit out of Iowa in modern history. He happens also to be at a position that appears to be Fran McCaffery's crux. It really has become a matter of perception. Fran has been recruiting this kid for 2 maybe even 3 years now. If he can't land him then the perception might be catastrophic. If the boosters lose faith in McCaffery to recruit on top of losing faith in winning then the writing is on the wall.

i think that is the perception, i agree. but fran always knew he'd "at least" have Conner on board. now, if we land Hutchins (or similar) then Hutchins would have to perform and if he does, i think the boosters would forget not landing carton. i don't think carton is any above avg jump shooter (i could be wrong, but don't think he is.) so, to me, Hutchins would be the same relative talent. we shall see. but the scenario you put forth could happen and that could spell the end for Fran. whoever he lands, he can't miss on.

i think that is the perception, i agree. but fran always knew he'd "at least" have Conner on board. now, if we land Hutchins (or similar) then Hutchins would have to perform and if he does, i think the boosters would forget not landing carton. i don't think carton is any above avg jump shooter (i could be wrong, but don't think he is.) so, to me, Hutchins would be the same relative talent. we shall see. but the scenario you put forth could happen and that could spell the end for Fran. whoever he lands, he can't miss on.

I would agree whole heartedly with your last sentence.

Way to make up shit, buddy.

You agreed with a post that said only 30 D1 coaches had seen him... which is ridiculous and absurd. He has a South Alabama offer - a school 1000 miles from Des Moines, with a tiny recruiting budget. He's been seen by schools far and wide. I don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if he hasn't been seen by every school in the Big Sky and MVC.

The issue isn't that he's not getting P5 offers. He's not even getting Big Sky/MVC offers.

You agreed with a post that said only 30 D1 coaches had seen him... which is ridiculous and absurd. He has a South Alabama offer - a school 1000 miles from Des Moines, with a tiny recruiting budget. He's been seen by schools far and wide. I don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if he hasn't been seen by every school in the Big Sky and MVC.

The issue isn't that he's not getting P5 offers. He's not even getting Big Sky/MVC offers.

Yep, he is known by tons of coaches.

I think he will get several more offers, but I don't know if any of them will be P5 offers.

if we do land Noah (and not Carton/Locure) then it will be a very fortunate thing, in my opinion.

It would soften the blow of not landing Carton, for sure. Not saying he's as good as Carton but the disparity in recruiting ranking (299 to 30ish) seems way too large.

I made a comment about 350+ D1 coaches agree with me. It was Hyperbole man, not sure why people are thinking that I literally meant every last D1 coach knows of Locure.

Kinda like mine was hyberhole by saying "heard of him". It's more about how many coaches have spent any amount of time specifically looking into him. I'm sure there have been plenty of coaches that have been at a game to watch someone else and happened to notice a short quick kid who has no offers.

Kinda like mine was hyberhole by saying "heard of him". It's more about how many coaches have spent any amount of time specifically looking into him. I'm sure there have been plenty of coaches that have been at a game to watch someone else and happened to notice a short quick kid who has no offers.

Once again you are way off. If a coach sees a kid play, and knows about him, and isn't interested in him, then he has looked into him. Tons of coaches have looked into Locure.

Once again you are way off. If a coach sees a kid play, and knows about him, and isn't interested in him, then he has looked into him. Tons of coaches have looked into Locure.

See this is the thing I don't get. People on here say he is lazy and doesn't possess viable D1 skills, but those same people believe that he has been looked over by hundreds of coaches. That is tantamount to saying you walk into a bar and even though you aren't interested you spark up a conversation with some ugly girl, just because you want to know about her.

My take on this all is plenty of assistant coaches have seen him and think he is too short. Maybe they don't even tell the head coach about him out of concern that he might not be a legitimate prospect. I would not consider this scenario to being "looked" at by coaches. I would assume that he has been seen by 6x the amount of assistants then he has by head coaches. I would also assume that a high percentage of those assistants never kicked him up to the head man, because they were already working "better" prospects. Well if the head man doesn't know about you then it's not really like they looked at you at all.

Latest posts