Iowa Basketball Recruits

Lol is it really that simple? DJ is now a top 30 recruit. In our back yard. Not getting DJ might hurt more than if Locure even turned out to be the superior player. It is quite the dilemma.
Idk man. I think a lot of Carton's ranking is to do with his hops & ability to finish at the rim. He can get up, but his quickness, ball handling, & defense just isn't on par with Locure's, IMO. I also believe Locure has quite a bit more maturing to do physically still. I think a good strength & conditioning program would put Locure on the map as they say. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Iowa BB has that great of a S&C program, so Tyreke might not see that type of benefit if he ended up in IC. It probably won't matter anyway, cuz I have doubts that Fran will offer him even if he doesn't get DJ.

Idk man. I think a lot of Carton's ranking is to do with his hops & ability to finish at the rim. He can get up, but his quickness, ball handling, & defense just isn't on par with Locure's, IMO. I also believe Locure has quite a bit more maturing to do physically still. I think a good strength & conditioning program would put Locure on the map as they say. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Iowa BB has that great of a S&C program, so Tyreke might not see that type of benefit if he ended up in IC. It probably won't matter anyway, cuz I have doubts that Fran will offer him even if he doesn't get DJ.

I understand, and you're absolutely right that because of DJ's size is exactly why he is so highly rated. TL is substantially smaller and therefore should be decidedly quicker. I agree also that TL has some of the very best defense I have seen in a young high school prospect. I still think that DJ's ceiling is higher, but that requires development. It is hard to argue that TL might have a more instant impact, but alas I believe that you are correct and TL is a fall back on a fall back to the Iowa staff. Why? Well that part is a head scratcher.

I will say I’ve only seen Locure video and not anything from DJ. I don’t see all the love honestly. He seems ok but I’m not all that impressed with what I’ve seen and 40 pages of pop offs. I’m by no means a talent evaluator but I’m a hard pass like Fran is apparently on the kid. Wish him well but I don’t see it.

I will say I’ve only seen Locure video and not anything from DJ. I don’t see all the love honestly. He seems ok but I’m not all that impressed with what I’ve seen and 40 pages of pop offs. I’m by no means a talent evaluator but I’m a hard pass like Fran is apparently on the kid. Wish him well but I don’t see it.
Locure is going to finish in 1st for career steals in 4A, 2nd for career assists in 4A, and has a shot at breaking Wieskamp's career 4A scoring record (Locure has more points after his junior year than Wieskamp had after his junior year). Just in case you were curious ;)

Locure is going to finish in 1st for career steals in 4A, 2nd for career assists in 4A, and has a shot at breaking Wieskamp's career 4A scoring record (Locure has more points after his junior year than Wieskamp had after his junior year). Just in case you were curious ;)

Definitely sounds like a loser.

Definitely sounds like a loser.
Never said loser and congrats to the kid I do wish him all the best truely. I just don’t see a Big10 guard is all. Again, I don’t know jack about evaluating and hope he proves me wrong.

I understand, and you're absolutely right that because of DJ's size is exactly why he is so highly rated. TL is substantially smaller and therefore should be decidedly quicker. I agree also that TL has some of the very best defense I have seen in a young high school prospect. I still think that DJ's ceiling is higher, but that requires development. It is hard to argue that TL might have a more instant impact, but alas I believe that you are correct and TL is a fall back on a fall back to the Iowa staff. Why? Well that part is a head scratcher.

DJ isn't much taller than Locure I'd guess. He only measured 6' with shoes, and he is getting more hype and pub than ever with his performance so far at the Team U18 tryouts. This also makes all his highlight dunks even more impressive being only 6' tall.

DJ isn't much taller than Locure I'd guess. He only measured 6' with shoes, and he is getting more hype and pub than ever with his performance so far at the Team U18 tryouts. This also makes all his highlight dunks even more impressive being only 6' tall.

Nice find. I was under the impression that he was closer to 6'2 and still expected to grow some. He does have an impressive 6'6 wingspan though for only 6'.

Nice find. I was under the impression that he was closer to 6'2 and still expected to grow some. He does have an impressive 6'6 wingspan though for only 6'.

I posted it because I had thought he was 6’2 or even 6’3. I was impressed he is getting such accolades being 6’ or less.

I've been watching some of Locure's games during this AAU season. Some on Baller TV and some in person. I can tell you why I wouldn't offer him, if I was a D1 head coach. He doesn't play with the kind of effort that a kid looking to get D-1 offers, should be playing with. Regardless of what his steal #s are, he doesn't play good, fundamentally sound defense. He just doesn't. His effort doesn't match his athleticism.
The good news for you/Tyreke is that "lack of effort on the defensive end and poor fundamentals" seems to be the kind of players Fran is signing these days....so.

He's probably 2 or 3 inches shorter than Locure

I like how it cuts out at 1:20 before he clangs the dunk attempt off the back iron. He does have hops and quickness, however. Regardless, he has at least one huge advantage over Locure, Carton, Terry, or any other senior to be. He would have one less year of competing with Bohannon/Connor for playing time.

EDIT: Or is it two less years? Isn't he going to be a sophomore?

Last edited:
I haven't seen any of these guys play in person, but, watching tape several times, my take is that it is a bit of a down year for PGs, particularly in our recruiting territory.

At the same stage of development, I'd still take Tony Carr, Glynn Watson or even Bryant McIntosh over him. Not that he's a bad player at all, and I'm still hoping we land him, but I just think that his rating is a bit inflated by comparison.

To me, Hutchins may be the most intriguing. He's smooth and quick at the same time, and I love how he keeps his eyes up when dealing with on-ball pressure. It's like he's not fazed at all by an opponent in his face. I love that in a PG. As with Locure, though, his lack of P5 offers makes you do a double-take.

I've been watching some of Locure's games during this AAU season. Some on Baller TV and some in person. I can tell you why I wouldn't offer him, if I was a D1 head coach. He doesn't play with the kind of effort that a kid looking to get D-1 offers, should be playing with. Regardless of what his steal #s are, he doesn't play good, fundamentally sound defense. He just doesn't. His effort doesn't match his athleticism.
The good news for you/Tyreke is that "lack of effort on the defensive end and poor fundamentals" seems to be the kind of players Fran is signing these days....so.

Jeez if he doesn't play with much effort and still manages multiple steals per game imagine what he could do with full effort.

Jeez if he doesn't play with much effort and still manages multiple steals per game imagine what he could do with full effort.
Im still concerned that he will rack up fouls trying that move on the college level, regardless of whether it's a clean steal or not. If he's taking plays off and showing poor overall defensive fundamentals/effort that's another red flag. He still has some time, not a lot but some, to improve on those things but I've seen players at all levels, including college and the NBA, exhibit poor overall fundamentals when they've gotten away with gambling for steals too often. I do love his quickness, penetration skills, the fact that he looks like he plays within control and that he always has his eyes on the rim when he attacks, not unlike a football receiver who concentrates on catching the ball instead of the defensive back. But back to the original point; relying on the pocket pick can be a bad habit to get into. Many times you're literally letting your man get past you and gambling that you can pick him from behind. Potential big trouble, or foul trouble, at the Division One level. There's still some things that he does better, right now, than any guard we have. But still other things to work on.

I haven't seen any of these guys play in person, but, watching tape several times, my take is that it is a bit of a down year for PGs, particularly in our recruiting territory.

At the same stage of development, I'd still take Tony Carr, Glynn Watson or even Bryant McIntosh over him. Not that he's a bad player at all, and I'm still hoping we land him, but I just think that his rating is a bit inflated by comparison.

To me, Hutchins may be the most intriguing. He's smooth and quick at the same time, and I love how he keeps his eyes up when dealing with on-ball pressure. It's like he's not fazed at all by an opponent in his face. I love that in a PG. As with Locure, though, his lack of P5 offers makes you do a double-take.
I've seen Carton play in AAU games and not give much effort on the defensive end, too. It's AAU. Lack of effort isn't why Locure lacks offers.

Anyways... if Locure finishes his 4A HS career being 1st in career pts, 1st in career steals, and 2nd in career assists, it's gonna look rather strange if no P6 schools offer.

I've seen Carton play in AAU games and not give much effort on the defensive end, too. It's AAU. Lack of effort isn't why Locure lacks offers.

Anyways... if Locure finishes his 4A HS career being 1st in career pts, 1st in career steals, and 2nd in career assists, it's gonna look rather strange if no P6 schools offer.

Todd Berkenpas, Troy Skinner and Glenn Worley say “Hi”.

Latest posts