Iowa Basketball Recruits

it's one of the reason why i prefer locure.
I love Locure. I love them both. But, and I think you know this, you can't put too much stock into one individual game anymore than you can overreact to Tyreke going off for 46 or whatever it was in his tournament. What if DJ picked up two quick fouls?

I have to explain my Locure love, especially to people like Bryce who seems to know his P's and Q's pretty well. Tyreke is personal to me. I've watched his video and I have a 5 foot 8 seventh grade son, adopted and bi-racial who's game bears a striking resemblance to Locure's. That's the last time I'm going to mention my son directly in these threads. Nobody wants to hear a parent excessively brag about his own kid. If he truly develops into something, and he obviously has a long way to go, his play will do the talking for both of us.

EDIT: Arvada, I may have misunderstood you. Do like Locure more because Carton had the bad game or because Carton is attracting a lot of recruiting attention. My apologies if I misunderstood you.

Last edited:
I love Locure. I love them both. But, and I think you know this, you can't put too much stock into one individual game anymore than you can overreact to Tyreke going off for 46 or whatever it was in his tournament. What if DJ picked up two quick fouls?

I have to explain my Locure love, especially to people like Bryce who seems to know his P's and Q's pretty well. Tyreke is personal to me. I've watched his video and I have a 5 foot 8 seventh grade son, adopted and bi-racial who's game bears a striking resemblance to Locure's. That's the last time I'm going to mention my son directly in these threads. Nobody wants to hear a parent excessively brag about his own kid. If he truly develops into something, and he obviously has a long way to go, his play will do the talking for both of us.

EDIT: Arvada, I may have misunderstood you. Do like Locure more because Carton had the bad game or because Carton is attracting a lot of recruiting attention. My apologies if I misunderstood you.

from the videos i've seen of both, DJ is a straight line player and doesn't have high level handles and is not a change of direction player. DJ is inconsistent on offense, particularly, his jumper. watched DJ play against Muscatine (stream) and he didn't even look like a 4* in that game, let alone a potential 5*. I get it, one bad game doesn't make a player. But I have seen these things consistently. DJ is a really hoopster, don't get me wrong. He is not the "type" of pg Iowa and Frans offense needs.

Now, i've played thousands of sanctioned and pick up games of hoops in my lifetime. I'm in my 50's so take it for what it's worth.

Tyreke is a change of pace pg with high level handles and can score. I've seen him dunk so that tells me he has the ability to get to the rim and take contact and go to the ft line. TL also has shown on video that he can be a thief on defense. He needs strength, but so do 99.99% of high schoolers to play college ball.

So, my argument for TL is the type of player he is vs DJ, and I see TL as more consistent.

from the videos i've seen of both, DJ is a straight line player and doesn't have high level handles and is not a change of direction player. DJ is inconsistent on offense, particularly, his jumper. watched DJ play against Muscatine (stream) and he didn't even look like a 4* in that game, let alone a potential 5*. I get it, one bad game doesn't make a player. But I have seen these things consistently. DJ is a really hoopster, don't get me wrong. He is not the "type" of pg Iowa and Frans offense needs.

Now, i've played thousands of sanctioned and pick up games of hoops in my lifetime. I'm in my 50's so take it for what it's worth.

Tyreke is a change of pace pg with high level handles and can score. I've seen him dunk so that tells me he has the ability to get to the rim and take contact and go to the ft line. TL also has shown on video that he can be a thief on defense. He needs strength, but so do 99.99% of high schoolers to play college ball.

So, my argument for TL is the type of player he is vs DJ, and I see TL as more consistent.
You say you're in your fifties. If you went Iowa I may have been in some of "thousands of sanctioned and pickup games" you played. I will be 53 in September.

You say you're in your fifties. If you went Iowa I may have been in some of "thousands of sanctioned and pickup games" you played. I will be 53 in September.

I'll be 55 in September.

i did not go to U of I. I'm from quad cities and played my thousands of games there. i was a gym rat times 2. i didn't stop playing pick up hoops until i turned 40. i just know what i did well, what i didn't and why i played or wasn't good enough to play. honestly, my game was more like DJ's than TL's, though my stature is closer to TL's. pg is a unique position in hoops, it can be so many different things. Iowa needs a change of pace/direction pg who can score. that's TL, in my opinion. DJ relies on a head/ball fake and a quick burst to get past him man, but if you don't have a consistent jumper, then that gets taken away. that was Aaron Whites problem. he didn't develop a jumper so they played off of him and it made it way more difficult for him to drive; which is was good at.

Just a lil pot stirring :)

BB_OlS2CQAAGOli.jpg

Just a lil pot stirring :)

BB_OlS2CQAAGOli.jpg

alright, tk. fran is the devil. there should be no consequences for anyone that makes a mistake. coaches can't get angry or upset at their players. can you recap for us what RDM was wrongly accused of by fran that caused this? so, do me a favor. since i know they are out there, why don't you post a couple of pics of kirk ripping into his OL on the sidelines, or another position group on the sidelines. you're the one that can find all of these pics. i've seen kirk rip into his players on the side lines. we need to get rid of any coach that does this. throw brands, also. he gets in his wrestlers faces also. unacceptable.

and again, the logistics of hoops vs football allows a football coach way more anonymity that a hoops coach. but, fran is the devil so get rid of him.

Well he's a decent pg, not from Iowa, and well.....Fran. There ya go.

They also spelled his name wrong in the article title. Also, I'm sure that Iowa factors in as Patrick is playing with him. That said, if Terry moves on, I think Locure gets an offer. So...I wouldn't exactly be against it?

I think that it was Lightning who brought this up somewhere.

Why is Patrick playing in Minnesota?

Margaret and her family are from the Twin Cities but other than that it's an interesting question.

Just because Locure can dunk doesn't mean he will be able to finish at the rim with his size. Mike Gesell had this very problem. Mike could jump out the gym, but he really struggled to finish at the rim. DJ won't have this problem at all, he will be more like Washpun who had both the jumping ability and physical size to really be a finisher at the rim.

I just don't really see DJ being some good shooting PG. By all accounts he is struggling with his shot, and he only shot 32% from 3pt range as a Jr. Those aren't good numbers, so I don't expect him to develop into much of a shooter. Yet just like Washpun if he can protect the ball, dive and finish or dish at the rim, and play D, that is the PG we are all wanting for this offense. An athletic freak who has the size and physicality to do things that PG's at Iowa haven't done in a while. He is blowing up for those reasons, not because he is some polished BB shooter.

Yet just like Washpun if he can protect the ball, dive and finish or dish at the rim, and play D, that is the PG we are all wanting for this offense.
You're talking about a player that averages just as many turnovers as assists and as far as I know he isn't on the swimming team, so not so sure how well he dives. He can finish at the rim. However, dishing it after he's decided to take it to the rim isn't something he excels at. His defense is ok, but it's not exactly 3.91 steals a game ok. ;);)

Just because Locure can dunk doesn't mean he will be able to finish at the rim with his size. Mike Gesell had this very problem. Mike could jump out the gym, but he really struggled to finish at the rim. DJ won't have this problem at all, he will be more like Washpun who had both the jumping ability and physical size to really be a finisher at the rim.

I just don't really see DJ being some good shooting PG. By all accounts he is struggling with his shot, and he only shot 32% from 3pt range as a Jr. Those aren't good numbers, so I don't expect him to develop into much of a shooter. Yet just like Washpun if he can protect the ball, dive and finish or dish at the rim, and play D, that is the PG we are all wanting for this offense. An athletic freak who has the size and physicality to do things that PG's at Iowa haven't done in a while. He is blowing up for those reasons, not because he is some polished BB shooter.

he did have that problem, i agree. but mike was "shy" when he got there and really didn't seem to have the mind set to finish. finishing at the rim requires a "i'm gonna take contact and finish." maybe locure won't be that way at the next level, but he sure also has the ability to dish while going to the rim. MG didn't really have that. but your point is taken.

he did have that problem, i agree. but mike was "shy" when he got there and really didn't seem to have the mind set to finish. finishing at the rim requires a "i'm gonna take contact and finish." maybe locure won't be that way at the next level, but he sure also has the ability to dish while going to the rim. MG didn't really have that. but your point is taken.

It is odd with Mike, I swore up and down that by the time he was a Jr. and Sr. he would be able to finish at the rim. He had the hops to do so, was big enough (not huge, but not a rail either). He just never figured it out

It is odd with Mike, I swore up and down that by the time he was a Jr. and Sr. he would be able to finish at the rim. He had the hops to do so, was big enough (not huge, but not a rail either). He just never figured it out

He had the ability too...remember the North Carolina game? He completely outplayed Marcus Paige, drove the lane when the game was on the line, and basically won it for us. Then he would just look off for for multiple game stretches.

He had the ability too...remember the North Carolina game? He completely outplayed Marcus Paige, drove the lane when the game was on the line, and basically won it for us. Then he would just look off for for multiple game stretches.
That game is what made Gesell such a frustrating player. He desperately wanted to outplay Paige, and demonstrated that when he was motivated, he could really bring it. Then he would then fall right back into being a reasonably good but passive player. In that respect, Uthoff was quite similar.

I'm not a Fran hater at all, but one of my biggest criticisms of him is that he tends to recruit nice, reserved, wallflower types, as opposed to mentally tough bulldog types. He always talks about finding the "great kid with a great family." The problem is, it's not mutually exclusive. You can find great kids that are also tough and determined.

In many ways, we are the anti-Villanova.

That game is what made Gesell such a frustrating player. He desperately wanted to outplay Paige, and demonstrated that when he was motivated, he could really bring it. Then he would then fall right back into being a reasonably good but passive player. In that respect, Uthoff was quite similar.

I'm not a Fran hater at all, but one of my biggest criticisms of him is that he tends to recruit nice, reserved, wallflower types, as opposed to mentally tough bulldog types. He always talks about finding the "great kid with a great family." The problem is, it's not mutually exclusive. You can find great kids that are also tough and determined.

In many ways, we are the anti-Villanova.
Spot on and that's why I referred to Penn State as the year went on as "Villanova Lite". Fearless, tough minded kids. Give us two of their starting five and I guarantee our attitude would have been different. When they beat us at Carver in one of those two December conference games, Tony Carr would not let them lose. He made plays on about five offensive possessions in a row, scoring or facilitating, and it was enough to carry the day.

As for our game at State College, I'll put it this way. Ten, twenty years from now when I remember how horrible this season was, that will be the game I remember as a microcosm of it. Playing totally scared and intimidated, guys flying in for uncontested dunks, kicking sand in our face. If that game ever devolved into a brawl, you may have needed to bring body bags.

Mike had a couple deficiencies in his game, but he was also a pretty good player. I didn't mean to start a Mike G. bashing session. Not many players in today's college game bring the complete package to the table, especially at PG. How many guys PG's out there are good outside shooters, good ball handlers, good defenders, good at facilitating offense for others, good at driving and dishing, and good at driving and finishing? It seems we have a lot of poster who think Mike and Jordan should be good or very good at every aspect of the game. Sure it would be nice to have an All American at PG every year, but it isn't realistic.

Mike had a couple deficiencies in his game, but he was also a pretty good player. I didn't mean to start a Mike G. bashing session. Not many players in today's college game bring the complete package to the table, especially at PG. How many guys PG's out there are good outside shooters, good ball handlers, good defenders, good at facilitating offense for others, good at driving and dishing, and good at driving and finishing? It seems we have a lot of poster who think Mike and Jordan should be good or very good at every aspect of the game. Sure it would be nice to have an All American at PG every year, but it isn't realistic.

I don't think it's a bashing session, just comparing to past players to predict future targets. The only reason any of us were frustrated with Mike G was because he was so damn good! All the talent was there! And perhaps we're worried that a nice kid from a nice family like DJ won't bring the necessary grit every game, similar to what happened with Mike. Given, Mike had a great career, and DJ certainly will as well, but if Mike brought it like he did against Marcus Paige every game, we'd have been in the sweet 16 and Mike would be knocking on the door for the NBA. And that's certainly what I want for our players and our program. So I'll plug the fact that Locure's attitude is here to stay and maybe we could use that. Maybe more so than outright talent if he can fit in well with the team.

Spot on and that's why I referred to Penn State as the year went on as "Villanova Lite". Fearless, tough minded kids. Give us two of their starting five and I guarantee our attitude would have been different. When they beat us at Carver in one of those two December conference games, Tony Carr would not let them lose. He made plays on about five offensive possessions in a row, scoring or facilitating, and it was enough to carry the day.

As for our game at State College, I'll put it this way. Ten, twenty years from now when I remember how horrible this season was, that will be the game I remember as a microcosm of it. Playing totally scared and intimidated, guys flying in for uncontested dunks, kicking sand in our face. If that game ever devolved into a brawl, you may have needed to bring body bags.
I posted during the preseason that if Iowa fans wanted to see what good perimeter defense was, they should watch the upcoming PSU game. It wasn't about talent. It was about attitude, effort and determination. The coaches can preach all they want about stance, foot placement, shading players, etc., but if the players on your team don't have the right mindset (This guy is NOT going to score on me...period), it ends up being wasted hot air.

To be fair to Fran, he recruited Carr (and Nebraska's Watson) pretty hard, but, as he seems to do with regularity, he simply couldn't close the deal.

Latest posts