Iowa Athletics COVID-19 Discussion

I was going to write a post complimenting Rick on his common sense, straightforward story. I don’t have to, because you articulated my thoughts better than I could. Thanks!

Thank you! Great minds think alike. :cool:

Last edited:
Except for the part where you left out how most states are on a rocket ship up to higher numbers than at any time before. You know, states that play college football.

Unless you’re suggesting Iowa stays home and plays 10 scrimmages against itself.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your fear-mongering rhetoric. According to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) which is an independent global health research center at the University of Washington.

Iowa has 3.54 DPD, the lowest number since 4/10/20 - peak level was 14.07 DPD on 5/21/20
Illinois has 20.53 DPD, the lowest number since 4/1/20 - peak level was 108.89 DPD on 5/9/20
Indiana has 11.05 DPD the lowest number since 4/1/20 - peak level was 40.21 DPD on 4/27/20
Maryland has 11.56 DPD the lowest number since 4/5/20 - peak level was 55.54 DPD on 4/26/20
Michigan has 11.62 DPD the lowest number since 3/25/20 - peak level was 150.11 DPD on 4/15/20
Minnesota has 4.87 DPD the lowest number since 4/10/20 - peak level was 23.07 DPD on 5/6/20
Nebraska has 0.59 DPD the lowest number since 4/1/20 - peak level was 4.21 DPD on 6/14/20
New Jersey has 38.82 DPD the lowest number since 3/28/20 - peak level was 321.82 on 4/19/20
Ohio has 18.31 DPD the lowest number since 4/6/20 - peak level was on 44.18 on 5/8/20
Pennsylvania has 21.04 DPD the lowest number since 4/3/20 - peak level was 129.54 on 5/1/20
Wisconsin has 2.95 DPD the lowest number since 3/28/20 - peak level was 11.18 on 4/12/20

Positive tests are up but hospitalization, ICU, and ventilator numbers aren't shooting up like a rocket like you claimed, in fact, they are very stable.

So how do you like me now?

Death rates aren’t falling. I don’t know what weird data you’re looking at, but they’re increasing across the country in 7 day average deaths. Cases have gone through the roof and deaths have lagged by two weeks, like they always have. And they’ll continue to climb until there’s another shutdown, people start wearing masks, or a vaccine. Only one of those things is likely to happen and it will be next spring before it does. There’s going to be no football and no basketball this year. Better just accept it.
C19 data 71320.png
The death rate - the blue line and the left axis - have continued to fall from there April high and and flat lined for the past 6 weeks. The case rate - the orange line and right axis - started climbing again post Memorial Day, but even taking the 'two week lag' into account, the 7 day moving average - the dotted line - have not even reached the levels they were at in May let alone April.

What are you betting on these days?

For televised sports, Korean baseball. For live sports, my neighbors and I have been gambling on basketball games down at the HOA court on the weekends. There's a pretty good HS player in the neighborhood and there is some other kid who is his buddy who is a D-1 prospect who comes over as well. These dudes are really good, but one of the guys in the gambling ring knows them and I think he is running a point shaving operation, so I think I will bow out of that because I've lost twice in a row (but just low dollar stuff). For bigger dollar stuff, I just gamble on stock options. I got raked when I didn't close my long puts fast enough, but I've dug back out of that hole.

View attachment 6855
The death rate - the blue line and the left axis - have continued to fall from there April high and and flat lined for the past 6 weeks. The case rate - the orange line and right axis - started climbing again post Memorial Day, but even taking the 'two week lag' into account, the 7 day moving average - the dotted line - have not even reached the levels they were at in May let alone April.
I see what you did, you used science to destroy his emotional argument.

State of Iowa COVID Numbers as of 7/15/2020
People hospitalized 190 lowest number since 4/17/20
Patients in ICU 62 lowest number since 4/11/20
Patients on ventilators 35 lowest number since 4/10/20
Deaths 2 lowest number since 3/28/20

We still have a long way to go, but the curve has been flattened and the hospitals have not been overrun. The experts need to stop moving the goalposts. Let's play some football.

Yeah, you are acting and talking like every P5 game is going to be played in Iowa by showing Iowa covid numbers. How naive. Florida, Texas, and Arizona better get fixed fast if they want fans at football games or games at all. Florida 10,000+ cases the last few days, wow.

View attachment 6855

Facts is facts: it's going back up.
upload_2020-7-15_18-10-41.png

Facts is facts: it's going back up.
View attachment 6856

Yes, I acknowledge that the seven day moving average has climbed the past week, but it is has generally been steady since the start of June and is still only a third of what it was back in April. Additionally, the cases started skyrocketing a month ago but, thank goodness, the death rate has not followed the same trajectory.

Technically you are correct, the moving average is up over where it was. But people are just shouting their opinions out with selective facts to back it up and trying to drown out anyone who actually thinks they will play football this Fall. It's getting old, but like the proverbial car wreck, I can't help but keep watching.

You are right. And, the death rate looks lower in recent months for the simple reason that a lot of careless young people have been infected. So death rate impacted. Problem is, they will probably infect more vulnerable folks.

Some of the long term impacts of infections is coming to light as well.
I work for a 10 billion dollar multi state bank. The bank made massive layoffs today and are closing branches and we are in a low infection metro area so far. A regional large bus company associated with several universities and airports went bankrupt this week. Some just don't want to believe what is happening. Local soccer clubs are playing as well as travel bb. HS football practice is going on and the state organization has pretty much said a season is doubtful. Our local award winning marching band has announced only playing at a few home games and no competitions.

Yes, I acknowledge that the seven day moving average has climbed the past week, but it is has generally been steady since the start of June and is still only a third of what it was back in April. Additionally, the cases started skyrocketing a month ago but, thank goodness, the death rate has not followed the same trajectory.

Technically you are correct, the moving average is up over where it was. But people are just shouting their opinions out with selective facts to back it up and trying to drown out anyone who actually thinks they will play football this Fall. It's getting old, but like the proverbial car wreck, I can't help but keep watching.

Without shouting, football ins't going to happen. Life has changed. We are moving from shock to denial to OK this isn't so bad, and now reality hits. It's sad with no good options. On the other hand it likely buys Iowa time to deal wit race issues without drastic immediate changes...maybe.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your fear-mongering rhetoric. According to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) which is an independent global health research center at the University of Washington.

Iowa has 3.54 DPD, the lowest number since 4/10/20 - peak level was 14.07 DPD on 5/21/20
Illinois has 20.53 DPD, the lowest number since 4/1/20 - peak level was 108.89 DPD on 5/9/20
Indiana has 11.05 DPD the lowest number since 4/1/20 - peak level was 40.21 DPD on 4/27/20
Maryland has 11.56 DPD the lowest number since 4/5/20 - peak level was 55.54 DPD on 4/26/20
Michigan has 11.62 DPD the lowest number since 3/25/20 - peak level was 150.11 DPD on 4/15/20
Minnesota has 4.87 DPD the lowest number since 4/10/20 - peak level was 23.07 DPD on 5/6/20
Nebraska has 0.59 DPD the lowest number since 4/1/20 - peak level was 4.21 DPD on 6/14/20
New Jersey has 38.82 DPD the lowest number since 3/28/20 - peak level was 321.82 on 4/19/20
Ohio has 18.31 DPD the lowest number since 4/6/20 - peak level was on 44.18 on 5/8/20
Pennsylvania has 21.04 DPD the lowest number since 4/3/20 - peak level was 129.54 on 5/1/20
Wisconsin has 2.95 DPD the lowest number since 3/28/20 - peak level was 11.18 on 4/12/20

Positive tests are up but hospitalization, ICU, and ventilator numbers aren't shooting up like a rocket like you claimed, in fact, they are very stable.

So how do you like me now?

As smart as you two think you are, you ignore the fact that deaths lag way behind cases.

You can post all the stats you want but selectively leaving out facts and context does nothing but expose you as fake newsers (to use your master’s verbiage).

Last edited:
As smart as you two think you are, you a ignore the fact that deaths lag way behind cases.

You can post all the stats you want but selectively leaving out facts and context outa you as fake newsers (to use your master’s verbiage).

I acknowledged that deaths lag cases and said that fortunately the death trajectory wasn't following the case trajectory.

But 'my master's verbiage'? What the hell are you trying to say there;? Just because I believe that there will be football this fall and I think that situations are being hyperbolized by the media and others' doesn't mean that I'm following anyone.

Im not sure how fast a vaccine can be mass produced but there is one going into final testing by the end of this month.

BUT these college kids are all going to get it. My daughter moved back to college and tested positive within a month. And she knows a bunch that tested positive.

Im not sure how fast a vaccine can be mass produced but there is one going into final testing by the end of this month.

BUT these college kids are all going to get it. My daughter moved back to college and tested positive within a month. And she knows a bunch that tested positive.

There wont be a safe vaccine before this runs its course. We are likely looking at summer 2022 before that happens.

Latest posts