Iowa Athletics COVID-19 Discussion

So great to see this board attracts such braintrusts. You clearly are smarter and more nuanced than this Nobel Laureate who thought he had demonstrated rather conclusively the Germ is indeed man made.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...1HL&cid=20200717Z1&mid=DM593382&rid=918563367

Bravo, Ree4! BRA-VO!!!

I’m looking now to see how we can nominate you for some major award or something.

I don't know. No sense in attacking someone personally. I spent some time at Pioneer over 20 years ago and seeing what they were able to do with seed corn and soybeans with technology that is ancient by today's standards left me in awe, so I personally wouldn't be quick to draw a conclusion either way no matter what gets reported in the media or by any individual. Say what you will about Iowa State and Illinois, but man those schools have put out some damned smart plant scientists and there are folks way smarter than them working with viruses. On the other hand, the horrors of communism have caused the Chinese to turn to a bunch of marginally edible things and those have the capacity to introduce new pathogens into humans. Viruses can mutate pretty quickly on their own.

Damn. Stop confusing us with the facts. It is stressful.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/17/google-to-ban-ads-on-coronavirus-conspiracy-stories.html

The company is now taking it a step further and banning ads against content that make claims going against authoritative scientific consensus. Banned claims would include conspiracy theories like vaccines being attempts to genetically modify the population, that Bill Gates created Covid-19 or that the disease was a bioweapon made in a Chinese lab.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/17/google-to-ban-ads-on-coronavirus-conspiracy-stories.html

The company is now taking it a step further and banning ads against content that make claims going against authoritative scientific consensus. Banned claims would include conspiracy theories like vaccines being attempts to genetically modify the population, that Bill Gates created Covid-19 or that the disease was a bioweapon made in a Chinese lab.

Thank you. Did not know this.

No freaking thing as “authoritative scientific consensus.” By it’s nature science is always evolving. Someone is always challenging the “accepted.” It is what has moved us forward scientifically, medically, economically, industrially. It has produced virtually every good thing we enjoy as a society.

What you, and Google, are endorsing is some state propaganda, whether from the government or the progressive billionaires who run Silicon Valley and donate heavily to the Democratic Party. Do what we say or we will censor you, take away your voice, throw you in prison.

Sorry, that’s not how America works. Or should not. Sad to see you are one of the mind-numbed sheeple who follow the “authoritative” orthodoxy.

Last edited:
Why so much fear. Why, why, WHY.

We overcame the Spanish flu, the polio crisis, economic depressions and wars. But why this.

Here is my best answer. Social media. People really don’t fear this virus. They fear the ramifications of being the butt of Facebook or twitter if they cause, or are perceived of, causing an outbreak.

“Did you hear that Danielle. Patty sent little Johnny to school and he got his whole fourth grade class infected.”

This would be Patty’s worst nightmare, being the scourge of social media. That’s what people REALLY fear.

By the way, I incurred Danielle’s name for good reason. I have yet to meet a Danielle who wasn’t a bee-atch. Apologies to any Danielle’s, or spouses of Danielle’s out there.

Last edited:
No freaking thing as “authoritative scientific consensus.” By it’s nature science is always evolving. Someone is always challenging the “accepted.” It is what has moved us forward scientifically, medically, economically, industrially. It has produced virtually every good thing we enjoy as a society.

What you, and Google, are endorsing is some state propaganda, whether from the government or the progressive billionaires who run Silicon Valley and donate heavily to the Democratic Party. Do what we say or we will censor you, take away your voice, throw you in prison.

Sorry, that’s not how America works. Or should not. Sad to see you are one of the mind-numbed sheeple who follow the “authoritative” orthodoxy.

You are crazier than the proverbial loon. News Flash...the “deep state”is a myth created by the tin foil hat crowd. This is not a political view. It is an assessment of a bunch of crazy people who need to be institutionalized.

You are crazier than the proverbial loon. News Flash...the “deep state”is a myth created by the tin foil hat crowd. This is not a political view. It is an assessment of a bunch of crazy people who need to be institutionalized.

I basically agree, but if you think the war in Ukraine is about good v evil or democracy v dictator, you are completely wrong as just a small example. You would qualify as a crazy loon.

If this thing is natural, there's a helluva chance that it ripped through parts of Asia and parts of Europe 1500 years ago and huge swaths of those populations already have natural immunity because it culled the weak. You just never know. I mean, I still don't want to unreasonably gamble with getting it or anything, but our understanding of this thing is in its infancy.

Agreed

Last I heard, they were pushing ahead with an Aug. 12 practice start date for athletics while simultaneously seeking a waiver from the Iowa Department of Education for on-line only learning to start the year.

12 Marlin players and 2 coaches tested positive. Sports not happening. Starting to see cases of grandparents dying from non symptomatic grandchild exposure.

I made the comment that week that the test for sports in this country wouldn't be based on the MLS, NBA, or NHL that will play out in a bubble, but rather those sports in which there is not 24 hour supervision and the players are not confined to a bubble. Things are going to get really interesting in the next few weeks.

IOWA REPORTS POSITIVE COVID-19 TESTS

IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa Athletics Department conducted 20 COVID-19 tests for the week of July 20-26, 2020. One positive test and 19 negative tests have been received. As part of the return to campus protocol, testing began May 29, 2020, and includes student-athletes, coaches and staff. A total of 27 positive tests and 506 negative tests have been received.

Following the positive test result, protocol established by UI Athletics and medical staff, including contact tracing procedures, is being followed to ensure the safety of all UI Athletics student-athletes and staff. This mandatory protocol also includes isolation for the individuals who test positive, and quarantine for those individuals who might have been exposed to someone with the virus.

There wont be a safe vaccine before this runs its course. We are likely looking at summer 2022 before that happens.

Some high level govt people say covid will just go away. Has the Flu viruses gone away? NO Have other coronaviruses that cause common colds go away? NO. Same with other viruses. they persist.

Covid 19 is pretty highly infectious which makes it highly likely to stay around. But vaccine and medical technology is so much better than just 10 years ago so it really looks like vaccines might be available in record time.

Well science is always evolving with new discoveries and observations because humans build better observational equipment and measuring methods. What usually evolves or changes are theories which by their nature cannot be totally proven true.

But there are also times when parts of a theory can be proven as a Law of nature because it has been tested and measured so many times to the same result and/or new observational methods let us "SEE" what we could not see maybe 20-40 years ago.

X-ray crystallography and tunneling scanning electron microscopes are two examples of devices/observational tools which actually let us see atoms in spatial arrangements that were predicted by theories.

The Florida Marlins are cancelling games already with about 10-12 players testing positive for Covid 19. Four games into the season and they have multi-millions of dollars to do rapid testing.

An NBA player escapes the "safety bubble" of their hotel or isolation plans and goes to a strip club and contracts Covid.

It is getting really hard to see how college football can go very long without teams cancelling games and seasons. Are college FB players supposed to stay in a "bubble"?

How long are Miami U, Florida, and Florida St going to stay Covid negative?

Last edited:

Latest posts