Iowa at OSU 2024

Even then, there's literally no logical reason to think the Hawks can win this game.
Buckeyes: 38
Hawks: 6
Just keep it competitive is all I'd even ask. It's like Dowling taking on a middle of the pack 2A school at home, no one in their right mind would expect the score to be close, let alone a win. If the game is two scores when it's over the Hawks have done their jobs.

Iowa played the eventual national champion heads up for a decent part of the conference title game last year with literally no offensive production and a QB that could not pass or run. Now, OSU is a different animal because it is more offensive focused, and our D probably isn't as good as last year, but I believe that Iowa has enough talent on both sides of the ball to make this a competitive game. If OSU brings its A game, we lose for sure. But, our A game against their B- game? We got a shot.

I know that OSU has talent but I still don't have a handle on whether they are a good team yet. So I have hope that we can keep it close. And maybe our offense improves some?

Just keep it competitive is all I'd even ask. It's like Dowling taking on a middle of the pack 2A school at home, no one in their right mind would expect the score to be close, let alone a win. If the game is two scores when it's over the Hawks have done their jobs.
This is pretty much where I am at. I work with an Ohio State alum and I told him the other day that my hope is that we keep it somewhat competitive and just don't get blown out like two years ago. Maybe they are looking ahead to Oregon the following week?

I had not appreciate the spread was 20 points. I am tempted to drop some money on Iowa with that sort of spread. I think it will be closer than that.

This is my yearly reminder that in the new-Kirk era (since 2015), Iowa has been awesome as a favorite.

1727965718287.png

5th best win% in the nation, and the best performance vs. the spread of those teams. And yeah, I know that bettor spreads and favorites are not a true indication of who is SUPPOSED to win or of team quality, it is where lines can be set for houses to make money. With that caveat in mind, it is the most readily available (if flawed) metric of who is supposed to win a game.

Over the same time period, Iowa is middle of the road as an underdog (13-26, 20th best P5, 4th in B1G classic).

And since the 2017 Iowa-OSU miracle, Iowa has mostly been spanked as a double-digit dog:
1727966273832.png

If there is any light, I would say it comes from 2 performances last year as double-digit underdogs. We beat Wisconsin on the road as a double-digit underdog (turns out Wisconsin was a paper tiger). We also put up a damn good fight in the B1G championship game; Iowa played one-handed without an offense, but they were not outclassed overall.

I would lean more towards this being like the 2022 OSU or 2023 PSU beat-downs. If they do shock the world, it is going to be on the backs of our offense wildly outplaying expectations, and OSU making some critical mistakes (we're not winning this 9-6). We will then nuke the Fire Tim Lester Thread for good.

Can we bring back the lookalike threads?
Ryan Day looks exactly like the G.I. Joe doll I had in 1975.
Who always lost in every battle to my Muhammed Ali doll.

Last edited:
Can we bring back the lookalike threads?
Ryan Day looks exactly like the G.I. Joe doll I had in 1975.
Who always lost in every battle to my Muhammed Ali doll.

I tried with some AI generated images for the Iowa-Minn game, but it didn't seem to catch on. I just asked Microsoft Copilot to create a humorous depiction of the most likely outcome of the Iowa vs. OSU game. Everything it kicked out was super disturbing, I will just share one:

Iowa OSU.jpg

Latest posts