Iowa and N Illinois looking at Kinnick Series for 2018 & 2020

I'm a little surprised that NIU is willing to do straight road games without a Soldier Field game involved.

yay! while there are daily announcements of B1G schools scheduling Alabama, A&M, VT, Oregon, etc Iowa is busy announcing they are intending to play UNI and NIU! Hurray us!

Iowa is busy announcing they are intending to play UNI

I must have missed that one.

Only thing I have seen mentioned the last week regarding UNI is that Iowa is going to honor their commitment and play the games against UNI that are already scheduled. After that, Iowa wont play UNI.

I must have missed where A&M and VaTech played in BCS games last year like NIU.

I suppose you think NIU would have pounded A&M and Johnny Heisman last year? I suppose Iona was better than Iowa in basketball as well since they made the NCAA tournament?

Not even close, lulz.

NIU had to be ranked in the Top 16 in the BCS Standings, IIRC, to get a BCS invite.

Iona only had to win their crappy league tourney.

Who are the quality MAC/nonconference teams NIU had to beat to get ranked 16th? Toledo?

I am guessing when it says in the article that they discussed playing 3 straight but NIU is keeping the 2019 spot open means they are going to see if they can get someone else to play at Soldier Field and if they can't then Iowa will.

Who are the quality MAC/nonconference teams NIU had to beat to get ranked 16th? Toledo?

I am guessing when it says in the article that they discussed playing 3 straight but NIU is keeping the 2019 spot open means they are going to see if they can get someone else to play at Soldier Field and if they can't then Iowa will.

What was Iona ranked when they made the NCAA tourney?

I'm a little surprised that NIU is willing to do straight road games without a Soldier Field game involved.

They probably realize its the only way their games with the B10 continue. Jim D said on BTN that B10 teams are going to strive to have an annual home/away series like Iowa/ISU or schedule other BCS teams in short home/away series.

With B10 teams not willing to give up their 7 home games each year it leaves the MAC one option, play all games against B10 teams on the road or the games won't happen. Still benefits the MAC. I'm sure they get a nice payday (maybe even bigger now that they can't have home/neutral games against the B10 anymore), short road trip, and have an opportunity to gain some credibility beating a BCS team.

LOL. Iowa wanted to play 3 years in a row and was turned down by NIU. Good god. That's some really aggressive scheduling on Iowa's part.

NIU>VT and A&M now that is funny. One season maybe. Which teams 'move the needle' more as Rittenberg is found of saying. Let's see....Iowa vs Texas A&M or Iowa vs No Illinois? hmmm, I dunno. Which sounds more appealing to HS football recruits? Playing Alabama or playing the Huskies from Dekalb, Illinois? hmmmm [scratches head]. I give up.

now obviously Iowa and all BCS schools schedule MAC caliber schools or worse and NIU is one of the best non-power conference schools of late, so my point isn't that we shouldn't schedule NIU, but rather pointing out every week there is an announcement of new football series of B1G school verse another power conference school from B12, Pac12, SEC, etc. I am just venting that it would be nice to have some good pub. Obviously with only 3 non-conf games to schedule with one of them being ISU, we aren't going to regularly schedule another power conference school. Just disappointing to not have a positive announcement like the Wisc vs 'Bama game instead we are announcing NIU and discussing UNI games.

I don't know as much about scheduling and athletic dept finances like all of the posters in this thread. I'm not sure how much more money Iowa would make if they scheduled a home and home with Oregon or Oklahoma.
Could one of you posters explain this for me?

Latest posts