Iowa and N Illinois looking at Kinnick Series for 2018 & 2020

I don't know as much about scheduling and athletic dept finances like all of the posters in this thread. I'm not sure how much more money Iowa would make if they scheduled a home and home with Oregon or Oklahoma.
Could one of you posters explain this for me?

We would make more money with 2 home games against NIU (2018 and 2020) then we would playing one game home and one game on the road with Oregon and Oklahoma.

We would make more money with 2 home games against NIU (2018 and 2020) then we would playing one game home and one game on the road with Oregon and Oklahoma.

So, financially, it makes more sense to schedule N Illinois. Sounds like Barta is making a prudent decision.

I hear what you're saying about finances but now we should never play a road game in non-conf? That be great if we could find 1 BCS school to visit every Sep with no return trip but that ain't happening. I'm sure we could find 3 MAC level schools to come to Kinnick every year, but you do not generate any interest for those games outside DeKalb, IL but you do generate negative comments from the sports media and fans about cupcake scheduling ala MN under Mason, Wisky under Bielema, etc. Games like Wisc vs Bama generate a ton of buzz for the Badgers and give a recruiting bump. Please quit trying to spin it like Iowa vs NIU is as good or better for the overall development of the football program than playing an SEC team.

I hear what you're saying about finances but now we should never play a road game in non-conf? That be great if we could find 1 BCS school to visit every Sep with no return trip but that ain't happening. I'm sure we could find 3 MAC level schools to come to Kinnick every year, but you do not generate any interest for those games outside DeKalb, IL but you do generate negative comments from the sports media and fans about cupcake scheduling ala MN under Mason, Wisky under Bielema, etc. Games like Wisc vs Bama generate a ton of buzz for the Badgers and give a recruiting bump. Please quit trying to spin it like Iowa vs NIU is as good or better for the overall development of the football program than playing an SEC team.

If I were AD, it would begin and end with the finances question. The only way I see you getting your wish is if ISU is off the schedule/or reduced to half as often or the season is extended by a game (ofwhich I am not in favor).

If I were AD, it would begin and end with the finances question. The only way I see you getting your wish is if ISU is off the schedule/or reduced to half as often or the season is extended by a game (ofwhich I am not in favor).
I agree with that, but I would hope we'll still play a Syracuse, ASU type series so maybe every third season we have 2 BCS non-conf games and 1 cupcake MACrifial lamb. No doubt going to 3 non-conf games changes the dynamics. I'd be in favor of playing ISU every other year and rotating in another BCS school.

another thing that probably can't be measured very well but is certainly a factor in the finance consideration is the image of the program. So if we play an SEC team for example, we generate a lot of positive buzz, we attract better recruits hopefully, which hopefully leads to more wins, we sell more merchandise, receive more donations etc. Also, admission for a BCS opponent is higher than MAC team so a small factor there to offset loss of home date the next season.

I agree with that, but I would hope we'll still play a Syracuse, ASU type series so maybe every third season we have 2 BCS non-conf games and 1 cupcake MACrifial lamb. No doubt going to 3 non-conf games changes the dynamics. I'd be in favor of playing ISU every other year and rotating in another BCS school.

If Iowa has a 9 game conference schedule and annual games with ISU, a 2nd OOC BCS school would require a year with only 6 home games. Which is very unlikely to happen.

If Iowa has a 9 game conference schedule and annual games with ISU, a 2nd OOC BCS school would require a year with only 6 home games. Which is very unlikely to happen.

Not necessarily. You could schedule it so your away ooc game is in the years you get 5 B1G games. So the years you have 4 B1G games you get your 3 OOC games at home.
[edit...nevermind, upon further review it may be tougher to do that then I originally thought...I believe you are correct]

For mostpart, hawkingooferland spelled it out pretty good.weave in 2 bcs schools (1 being clowns) with one mac.

Last edited:

I agree with many of your points, but I'd also think a game against N.Ill keeps you in the Chicago land market for recruiting purposes. IMO, this offsets the argument of scheduling an SEC school to bump recruiting.
Furthermore, you can sell a bowl against an SEC school to help in recruiting.

another thing that probably can't be measured very well but is certainly a factor in the finance consideration is the image of the program. So if we play an SEC team for example, we generate a lot of positive buzz, we attract better recruits hopefully, which hopefully leads to more wins, we sell more merchandise, receive more donations etc. Also, admission for a BCS opponent is higher than MAC team so a small factor there to offset loss of home date the next season.

Not sure where this factors in but I'd think you'd also have to consider the TV revenue - that's where the gravy $ hit the program's bottom line. NIU, coming off it's 1st (and probably last) BCS bowl appearance, isn't even attractive enough beyond routine BTN air-time. Where do you think a Wisky-Bama game will land?

It's as if someone attended the Pollard School of Scheduling. With 9 conference games, try to schedule 2 wins plus your state rival, and hope for for enough conference wins to make a bowl game.

It's as if someone attended the Pollard School of Scheduling. With 9 conference games, try to schedule 2 wins plus your state rival, and hope for for enough conference wins to make a bowl game.

Is as if no one on this board understands the financial aspects of running an athletic department and its impact on scheduling. They just want to grunt "skedule SEC" and then talk about how stupid Kirk is.

What's more attractive to scheduling?
1) scheduling a power house type (Bama', Stanford, VaTech, etc) and then scheduling two cupcake types (directional state tech type)?

Or

2) scheduling 3 mid level-to upper level teams. Example, N.Ill (a strong MAC team), ISU (weak sauce BCS), and another decent BCS/AQ school?

Either way, you shouldn't take a hit when it comes to strength of schedule.

LOL. Yeah, just make sure you get that coveted bowl game at the end. At least Iowa has its goals high!!

Latest posts