Iowa A Bad Match-up For Many Teams.

Many like to complain about Iowa's lack of a "true" point guard. Offensively speaking, for this Iowa team, it really hasn't bothered me that much as I realize this team is built differently. Iowa does not have a problem scoring points. Defensively I can agree a bit with that narrative, because, I'd take a lock down defender on my team any day of the week, especially on a team that can potentially have four players who could hit a three at a good percentage. This is Iowa. Garza can step out and hit a 3, Kreiner can step out and hit a 3, Cook not so much.

Fran has built this team to be a hard guard by opposing teams. Iowa's length poses problems, especially when they play their zone defenses, which was really active and effective against Michigan. Fran built this team to spread defenses out with the threat of 3 pt shooters at multiple positions along with a team that can have an inside presence. This is a difficult matchup for many team and opposing coaches will concur. Couple that how Iowa changes defense and they can really be a mismatch nightmare. Michigan's lack of depth at the post was proven last Friday along with their difficulty matching up with Iowa's length on the court.

It's a fun team to watch, even without that "true" point guard! It's fun watching Iowa be one of the top two scoring teams in the BIG, even without that "true" point guard! ;)[/QUOTE]
You smoked the Hawkeyenation!

Merely referring to Chemistry, BigD

Only a personal observation is that aspect

Chemistry is an intangible that is not apparent to everyone

:cool:

Well in that we can both agree. They are playing better as a team. Sorry for misunderstanding where you were coming from.

I hope they keep improving and that we all get to enjoy a couple of weeks of following them in the NCAA tournament.

Well in that we can both agree. They are playing better as a team. Sorry for misunderstanding where you were coming from.

I hope they keep improving and that we all get to enjoy a couple of weeks of following them in the NCAA tournament.

I will never forget the memories of Mr. Davis's first team at Iowa. They were outstanding and could have been National Champs that season. They absolutely were the most fun Hawkeye basketball team to watch in my opinion. All those guys were Hawkeye legends: Roy Marble and Eddie Horton, BJ Armstrong, Kevin Gamble, Brad Lohaus, The VANILLA GORILLA, and SIR JAMELOT.....

Damn

LMAO!!!!!! Seriously???? No comparison. Tom Davis’s first year team had like five players that were drafted to play professional basketball. That team had the record for the most players to be drafted to professional basketball for many years. They may still hold that record.

The one comparison I do see is how Tom waited waaaaaaay too long to call a time out in their last game of the year. They were up by about twenty-two points on UNLV midway through the second half and Tom waited until they ran the lead down to around eight points before he called a time out. Fran has that tendency also. I will say Fran seems to have made improvements on that bad tendency.

When Tom’s first team took the floor your felt you were going to win regardless of who you were playing. Would love to feel that confident about this team and maybe by the end of the year I will. At this point no I don’t feel that way. Depends on which Jekyll and Hyde defense is playing on a given night. No pun on the Hyde defense.

The Hyde D showed up at Michigan State and Purdue for certain. Also the last 15 minutes of the second half against The Spartans at Carver. However, the defense seems to be developing quite well now. They appear to know what they are doing and the team D is a swarming nightmare for the opposition at times from the half court trap to the perimeter where we have held most of our opponents to a very poor percentage from ThreeLand.....

I hope we can continue to improve and maintain the intensity. The BIG is Murderers Row this season.....

There have been a lot of thrills this season and heartbreak also. The highs and lows of being a Hawkeye Fan.....

:cool:

I just get the feeling that this team hasn’t peaked yet. It would be nice if it happened in the Big Dance. Playing in the B1G is a lot different than playing in the tourney. Every B1G team has scouted you intensively. Outside teams don’t have that luxury. Thats why I think this is a better tourney team than a conference team. I can see this being a sweet sixteen or elite eight team in the Big Dance. After that, who knows? Even Lil ol’ Iowa can get lucky sometimes.