Iowa A Bad Match-up For Many Teams.

Have you seen how hard Garza posts up and what he does with the ball when he gets it? Screw having a 6' guy having to dribble into the lane to create when we have a 7' guy that makes it easy to get him the ball and is nasty and clutch when he gets it.

Lol. Okay! Let’s see what happens in March. :cool::cool: I find the narrative of downplaying they need for a true PG rather comical honestly!!

I am always amused by comments about elite point guards "blowing by" Iowa defenders. And, we want an elite point guard. Therefore, it is great for elite point guards to blow by defenders. Wait, What?

You may want to watch carefully the next Iowa game (or, you can go back and look at the Michigan game) and count the number of successful offensive possessions that were created by JBO, or Moss, or Mac, driving pretty deep into the defense and then picking up an assist. I watched the Mich game dvr and was actually quite impressed with our guards ability to force the issue off the drive.

I am always amused by comments about elite point guards "blowing by" Iowa defenders. And, we want an elite point guard. Therefore, it is great for elite point guards to blow by defenders. Wait, What?

You may want to watch carefully the next Iowa game (or, you can go back and look at the Michigan game) and count the number of successful offensive possessions that were created by JBO, or Moss, or Mac, driving pretty deep into the defense and then picking up an assist. I watched the Mich game dvr and was actually quite impressed with our guards ability to force the issue off the drive.

Yea our defense sucks because elite point guards can blow by our guards. So why do we want one? Just so they can blow by teams with really bad defense? Or do they do that to every team they play? I haven't seen anyone shut down Edwards yet.

So true. I bet you there aren't a lot of fan bases going "that Iowa, they are so not athletic." or "Look at Weiskamp, just another pasty white wing for Iowa."

We have good players on this team.

Wisconsin proved us whites can still compete at a high level. Once Garza is playing at a kaminsky level and Wieskamp is the next Dekker we will beat Kentucky in the final four. :cool:

Iowa would be a true matchup nightmare with a point guard. Sadly come March the lack of a True PG will be our demise.

Connor & Jbo don't get enough credit. They may not be quick as some of you like but both of them control the ball in traffic, get the ball up court on the press. Team free throw shooting is much more important in a close game then what you're referring to as an 'true' point guard. Go Hawks!

Wisconsin proved us whites can still compete at a high level. Once Garza is playing at a kaminsky level and Wieskamp is the next Dekker we will beat Kentucky in the final four. :cool:
If Connor is Gasser and JBo is Koenig and Baer is Schowalter then we're really set.:)

thats-waisis-32234068.png

Michigan coach following the game.

Iowa's switching defenses are something most teams don't see that often, making it difficult to adjust.

Iowa has great length when they are playing their various zones.

Wieskamp is a great player.

Iowa is now a very experienced team, with depth, which Michigan didn't have.

Added comments:

Without an elite PG an Iowa run to championships is very difficult, the competition gets better, more athletic, deep.

Iowa can play good defense, but at times doesn't, mostly because of effort, lack of interest.

Iowa's defense, can be shredded by a hot shooting 3 point team. Capitulation and confusion result.

Cook and Moss combined for 7 pts against Michigan. If that doesn't tell you Iowa has a dangerous team that teams have a hard time preparing for, then I don't know what else will.

The tournament is guard dominated now. That's when guard play seems to become a huge factor.

The tournament is guard dominated now. That's when guard play seems to become a huge factor.

very true. Iowa doesn't have elite guards. This season they've had to learn how to play to their strengths despite that. The 3 point shooting has been a great equalizer as well as our post play. I am hoping they can play well enough down the stretch to get a good seed so maybe it won't matter (as much) the first 2 rounds.

Yes Iowa is a tough matchup and the lack of a true point guard has not hurt them on OFFENSE. It is on the defensive side of the ball where the lack of a true point guard is glaring. This team could desperately use even a Clemmons, someone that can get after it defensively.

very true. Iowa doesn't have elite guards. This season they've had to learn how to play to their strengths despite that. The 3 point shooting has been a great equalizer as well as our post play. I am hoping they can play well enough down the stretch to get a good seed so maybe it won't matter (as much) the first 2 rounds.

If the defensive intensity is there I can see us winning 2 games. If it isn't, we are getting bounced first round no matter what seed we are.