Iowa A Bad Match-up For Many Teams.

I will offer an analogy to Iowa football. Almost no one runs a pro style offense anymore, and in that sense, Iowa has become a difficult team to play because everyone builds a defense around stopping the spread.

In basketball, I agree that everyone has progressed away from the post and to a guard centered game, and that is why you hear about guard playing dominating in March. However, that narrative could be changing as many teams are just not built to stop Garza, Cook and Kreiner. I agree with the premise of this thread that IF Iowa is playing hard and focused, we are a terrible match-up for most teams.

That all said, talent wise, this is a round of 32 team most likely. But, anyone can get hot.....

I agree that scoring points hasn’t been an issue as you say, but I would argue when you truly need them in crunch time have. Iowa weakness under Fran has shined in close games losses and the lack of a true PG has hurt us tremendously in those situations. Come March when in late game situations I want a PG that can create off the dribble and be able to break his defender down get and score or dish. IMO you not getting past the first weekend with a true PG in the NCAA tournament, trust my opinion.

This is my concern for Iowa going forward as well. Regular and post season. Not only the lack of a PG that can create on his own but a PG that can salt away a victory in the last minute when Iowa has a 4,5,6 point lead.

JB can get it done from the FT line. We all know that. My question is will he be able to get there?

We've all saw it at the end many games (including Michigan). When teams pressure him, he's not quick or strong enough to split the double team or get around the defenders. He is a very easy PG to trap. Very easy to defend without fouling.

Sooner or later that lack of a PG that can control the end of the game, whether you're down a basket and need someone to create or you're up a possession or two and need a PG to bring it home, will cost Iowa in a close game.

I remember thinking "no way this Uthoff team collapses like they did a couple years ago". I'm not going to make that mistake again. This team could potentially go 3-6 down the stretch. But it has a better chance of going 7-2.

LMAO!!! So true. I finally found sometime to watch the Michigan game on the DVR. I was spot checking the live score as the game went along and I thought for sure the score was reversed by mistake. A top five Big Ten team getting handled by Iowa? I knew there had to be more to the game than what the score was indicating.

Well Iowa did above their average defensive effort, and give them credit in that they buckled down every time Michigan tried to make a run. However the truth is Michigan shot themselves in the foot over and over again. It was just a horrible game by Michigan. Two out every three weird bounces went Iowa’s way. Michigan also appeared to be extremely flat and lowly energized. In other wards Michigan beat Michigan. I don’t see them making that same mistake twice against us.

Since it was a horrible game by Michigan it’s hard to make a true analysis of their team. If I were to base it off of their game against us then I would clearly have to say the Michigan State is the cream of the conference. MSU clearly has the best quickness and overall best players and best coached players. They look final four level. Michigan maybe sweet sweet sixteen, and Iowa is probably a second round loss.

It’s interesting that our best all around player is just a freshman. I would take five of him over five of anyone else on our team. He is the type of player who could play on any championship team any where in the country . What an injustice if Fran doesn’t at the VERY LEASTget him to a sweet sixteen.

Last edited:
Iowa is really tough when we do 2 things...

Play decent defense and are well balanced on offense meaning inside/out.

Our wings don’t get to the rim consistently so we need Garza and Cook to get it going inside so we don’t just fall in love with jump shots.

LMAO!!! So true. I finally found sometime to watch the Michigan game on the DVR. I was spot checking the live score as the game went along and I thought for sure the score was reversed by mistake. A top five Big Ten team getting handled by Iowa? I knew there had to be more to the game than what the score was indicating.

Well Iowa did above their average defensive effort, and give them credit in that they buckled down every time Michigan tried to make a run. However the truth is Michigan shot themselves in the foot over and over again. It was just a horrible game by Michigan. Two out every three weird bounces went Iowa’s way. Michigan also appeared to be extremely flat and lowly energized. In other wards Michigan beat Michigan. I don’t see them making that same mistake twice against us.

Since it was a horrible game by Michigan it’s hard to make a true analysis of their team. If I were to base it off of their game against us then I would clearly have to say the Michigan State is the cream of the conference. MSU clearly has the best quickness and overall best players and best coached players. They look final four level. Michigan maybe sweet sweet sixteen, and Iowa is probably a second round loss.

It’s interesting that our best all around player is just a freshman. I would take five of him over five of anyone else on our team. He is the type of player who could play on any championship team any where in the country . What an injustice if Fran doesn’t at the VERY LEASTget him to a sweet sixteen.

Have you seen Michigan State's last 2 games (since they played Iowa)? :)

I guess what really sticks out about Iowa and why I think they can be a bad match-up is Iowa's length on the court, especially in the zone. Now, can that length be driven on. Yes, and that can be an issue with Iowa.

Yep, it's a two-way street. If you present a mismatch, than you're conversely vulnerable to it as well. A team with quick ball-handling guards could eat us alive.

Have you seen Michigan State's last 2 games (since they played Iowa)? :)

I was thinking before the Iowa game that they were due for a letdown. That's why I thought we had good chance at winning. Turns out they had one more good game left in them.

Many like to complain about Iowa's lack of a "true" point guard. Offensively speaking, for this Iowa team, it really hasn't bothered me that much as I realize this team is built differently. Iowa does not have a problem scoring points. Defensively I can agree a bit with that narrative, because, I'd take a lock down defender on my team any day of the week, especially on a team that can potentially have four players who could hit a three at a good percentage. This is Iowa. Garza can step out and hit a 3, Kreiner can step out and hit a 3, Cook not so much.

Fran has built this team to be a hard guard by opposing teams. Iowa's length poses problems, especially when they play their zone defenses, which was really active and effective against Michigan. Fran built this team to spread defenses out with the threat of 3 pt shooters at multiple positions along with a team that can have an inside presence. This is a difficult matchup for many team and opposing coaches will concur. Couple that how Iowa changes defense and they can really be a mismatch nightmare. Michigan's lack of depth at the post was proven last Friday along with their difficulty matching up with Iowa's length on the court.

It's a fun team to watch, even without that "true" point guard! It's fun watching Iowa be one of the top two scoring teams in the BIG, even without that "true" point guard! ;)

This is one of the most Fun Hawkeye teams to watch. I really liked watching these Lads when they were freshmen with Jok on the team. Their progress was fun to watch and they did not disappoint. They came within a terrible call at Minnesota from making the Dance, and lost to the eventual NIT Champs in OT by two points at Carver.....

Their Defense has vastly improved and when they are on, they create problems switching from man to one of many different zones. They all help out, and the teamwork involved with this factor, instinctively switching and swarming with constant motion has created problems for most teams. The Spartans in the first half couldn't solve it, and Michigan had trouble the entire game except for one brief stretch in the middle of the second half. I will Not mention what happened at the 5-minute mark in the Michigan State game.....

Jordan's D has improved quite well. He now is capable of staying in front of his man for the most part. Nobody in the BIG can contain Winston and Carsen Edwards, He seems to be a floor leader on D, directing people to their spots when the half/three-quarter trap is not utilized. The Trap is very effective especially with JoeW involved. If they don't get a steal or cause a turnover, they limit the opponent setting up offensive plays, and they have to hurry shots with the time clock running down. We do cause a shot clock violations every now and then.....

JoeW is the best defender on the team and has been from the start this season. I believe his influence had infected the team. His offense is simply getting better and better and there might not be an upside. It's all good. He is getting more and more comfortable, and his style is effortless and difficult to contain. That shot in the second half where he banked the ball of the glass with his back to the basket was unbelievable. Noone knows what he is going to do with the ball when he drives to the basket. He just might be the best player ever for the Hawks, at least in the mix with John Johnson, Downtown Freddy Brown, Ronnie Lester, Roy and BJ. I want to add Aaron White to the list also. Forgive me if I have left someone off the list.....

Mere Idle Speculation

Nothing More

:cool:

Last edited:
We have good chemistry on this team. Better than the Uthoff teams. Better than in some time.

This is the main factor in my opinion. Their Chemistry, that elusive factor that separates the average from the best is there this season. No matter which combination of players is on the floor, there is a team consciousness that is apparent. They exhibit that factor very well on D.

These Hawks have Chemistry that reminds me of Dr Toms first year at times.

I was thinking before the Iowa game that they were due for a letdown. That's why I thought we had good chance at winning. Turns out they had one more good game left in them.

Losing at Purdue can happen to any team. You would think Izzo would have had the team ready for a home game vs Indiana, who had lost 7 in a row. :)

Connor & Jbo don't get enough credit. They may not be quick as some of you like but both of them control the ball in traffic, get the ball up court on the press. Team free throw shooting is much more important in a close game then what you're referring to as an 'true' point guard. Go Hawks!

Bohannon and Connor do very well handling the ball, getting across half court. Jordan gets the ball downcourt Quick before the opponent gets their D set. Jordan is very clever and laterally quick also, changing direction very well and keeping the defenders at bay.

I would like to see more passes to Moss and JoeW in transition. There is a brief second when they are in their spots to cause damage but the passes are not there or late, there is an ideal time to get the pass to someone, not only in their spots but in timely fashion when they can catch and shoot or take it to the rim. Moss doesn't even look for it anymore,

I also believe that Dailey will stay around for next season He plays a necessary role for the team, especially on D. His is quick and those long arms are in the opponents' faces all the time, creating a distraction.

He certainly seems to be enjoying this season.

Last edited:
This is the main factor in my opinion. Their Chemistry, that elusive factor that separates the average from the best is there this season. No matter which combination of players is on the floor, there is a team consciousness that is apparent. They exhibit that factor very well on D.

These Hawks have Chemistry that reminds me of Dr Toms first year at times.

LMAO!!!!!! Seriously???? No comparison. Tom Davis’s first year team had like five players that were drafted to play professional basketball. That team had the record for the most players to be drafted to professional basketball for many years. They may still hold that record.

The one comparison I do see is how Tom waited waaaaaaay too long to call a time out in their last game of the year. They were up by about twenty-two points on UNLV midway through the second half and Tom waited until they ran the lead down to around eight points before he called a time out. Fran has that tendency also. I will say Fran seems to have made improvements on that bad tendency.

When Tom’s first team took the floor your felt you were going to win regardless of who you were playing. Would love to feel that confident about this team and maybe by the end of the year I will. At this point no I don’t feel that way. Depends on which Jekyll and Hyde defense is playing on a given night. No pun on the Hyde defense.

I don't think anyone would argue that Michigan is the better team. But they weren't that night, and not just because they shot themselves in the foot or didn't get bounces. If we caught them on a flat, low energy night, I say it's about time we catch someone else at the right time. How many times does it work the other way for us? We won because we played defense and executed our game plan. And because Joe and Luka are coming of age before our eyes.

Iowa is really tough when we do 2 things...

Play decent defense and are well balanced on offense meaning inside/out.

Our wings don’t get to the rim consistently so we need Garza and Cook to get it going inside so we don’t just fall in love with jump shots.

Your 4 and 5 down on the block, with their backs to the basket, that is like old school now. The game today is definitely outside/in. That being said I am perfectly fine with Iowa working their offense inside/out. With your roster loaded with stand still jump shot shooters, it pretty much dictates that.

This is my concern for Iowa going forward as well. Regular and post season. Not only the lack of a PG that can create on his own but a PG that can salt away a victory in the last minute when Iowa has a 4,5,6 point lead.

JB can get it done from the FT line. We all know that. My question is will he be able to get there?

We've all saw it at the end many games (including Michigan). When teams pressure him, he's not quick or strong enough to split the double team or get around the defenders. He is a very easy PG to trap. Very easy to defend without fouling.

Sooner or later that lack of a PG that can control the end of the game, whether you're down a basket and need someone to create or you're up a possession or two and need a PG to bring it home, will cost Iowa in a close game.

That's where Conner comes in. I get that he lacks a jump shot, but what you are describing is basically his role. He doesn't have to be flawless, but in those moments he will have to be clutch.

LMAO!!!!!! Seriously???? No comparison. Tom Davis’s first year team had like five players that were drafted to play professional basketball. That team had the record for the most players to be drafted to professional basketball for many years. They may still hold that record.

The one comparison I do see is how Tom waited waaaaaaay too long to call a time out in their last game of the year. They were up by about twenty-two points on UNLV midway through the second half and Tom waited until they ran the lead down to around eight points before he called a time out. Fran has that tendency also. I will say Fran seems to have made improvements on that bad tendency.

When Tom’s first team took the floor your felt you were going to win regardless of who you were playing. Would love to feel that confident about this team and maybe by the end of the year I will. At this point no I don’t feel that way. Depends on which Jekyll and Hyde defense is playing on a given night. No pun on the Hyde defense.

Merely referring to Chemistry, BigD

Only a personal observation in that aspect

Chemistry is an intangible that is not apparent to everyone

Last edited: