Iowa +3.5 Who ya got?

If Iowa comes out of this 2 - 0, they'll be positioned well in the top 10 for at PSU game at 4 - 0, most likely.

Winning Indiana top 25, at ISU top 10, and at PSU top 10 would likely be the best resume in college football at that time, and keeps Iowa in the driver's seat for the West. They have to go to Wisconsin for a top 25 opponent as well.

If Iowa goes to Indy undefeated, with this schedule, even if they lose the Big Ten championship to OSU, as long as it's not a blowout, Iowa has a shot at the playoffs. That's a lot of ifs, though.

I have a hard time thinking that Iowa will win three top 25 road games. Kirk's style just doesn't have that kind of breathing room.

That said, I thought 8-4 before the season, and Iowa just won one of the games I pegged as a loss. Win Saturday, and Iowa is on pace for 10 - 2.

All of that's certainly possible, and it's something both teams should be looking to right now, but I don't think it's particularly probable. That's all. If either team wins this game and ends the season 11-1 it will be a huge victory, along with all of the others.

-Purdy will be uncomfortable all day. (See above). If he is behind late in the game he will press and make some mistakes. He knows if they lose they will drop from the rankings and they desperately need to remain relevant with this best team EVER. 2 picks, 1 fumble.

Iowa has a great defense, I think that's pretty much a given. Fantastic last year and returns a lot of talent. I don't think there will be a ton of pressure on Purdy in this game however, because I think they'll get the ball out quick.

ISU quarterbacks have 3 turnovers (Zeb Noland fumble 2018, Jacob Park Int 2017, Lanning Int 2016) in the last 4 games. I highly doubt there are going to be 3 turnovers in one game here but certainly anything is possible.

If Iowa comes out of this 2 - 0, they'll be positioned well in the top 10 for at PSU game at 4 - 0, most likely.

Winning Indiana top 25, at ISU top 10, and at PSU top 10 would likely be the best resume in college football at that time, and keeps Iowa in the driver's seat for the West. They have to go to Wisconsin for a top 25 opponent as well.

If Iowa goes to Indy undefeated, with this schedule, even if they lose the Big Ten championship to OSU, as long as it's not a blowout, Iowa has a shot at the playoffs. That's a lot of ifs, though.

I have a hard time thinking that Iowa will win three top 25 road games. Kirk's style just doesn't have that kind of breathing room.

That said, I thought 8-4 before the season, and Iowa just won one of the games I pegged as a loss. Win Saturday, and Iowa is on pace for 10 - 2.

As long as we're putting the cart so effin' far in front of the horse it is not even visible, OSU starts a true freshman QB...not out of the realm of possibility that Phil and our back 7 could pull off some voodoo.

Iowa has a great defense, I think that's pretty much a given. Fantastic last year and returns a lot of talent. I don't think there will be a ton of pressure on Purdy in this game however, because I think they'll get the ball out quick.

ISU quarterbacks have 3 turnovers (Zeb Noland fumble 2018, Jacob Park Int 2017, Lanning Int 2016) in the last 4 games. I highly doubt there are going to be 3 turnovers in one game here but certainly anything is possible.

Purdy fumbled in 2019.

"Anything is possible"...Austin Arnaud

That said, ISU should win this one. Senior laden team, at home, all the chips on your side of the table. Anything less than a clone win would be a major disappointment for your fans and program. No pressure.

Two years ago ISU gained 30% of their yardage, and accounted for 14 out of their 17 points, on breakdowns by the Hawkeye's secondary.

The first was when DJ Johnson (playing due to injury to Moss and pre-emergence of Belton) totally bit on the double-pass (51 yard TD).

The second was a 73 yard TD on the 2nd play of the 2nd half. Not sure of their coverage, but it appears Stone got caught with eyes on the play-action and failed to get to his half.

Aside from those 2 plays, ISU had 7 other drives (4 punts, 1 fumble, 1 turned over on downs, 1 FG).

In 2018 Iowa didn't give up any big plays. ISU had 11 drives (1 FG, 1 fumble, 1 turned over on downs, 8 punts).

So in the last 2 matchups, ISU has had 2 big plays caused by Iowa breakdowns in the secondary. Aside from that, they have had 18 drives that resulted in more punts (12) than points (6).

This is a better ISU team than 2018 or 2019. But I don't see this back 7 giving up big plays due to breakdowns. Breece Hall might be the difference maker, he might make something out of nothing. But if they contain him, I like Iowa's chances.

Not a must win probably for either team. Winning that first one was big for Iowa. Especially with Minnesota Wisconsin and Northwestern all going down. We will likely be in the hunt for the West. Likewise if Clones were to lose I think they still have a good chance at their first championship in like 120 years!
I look for Clones to win 24-13. They have playmakers on both sides of the ball and are very experienced playing at home. Hard to beat that
If Iowa doesn't turn it over it may be closer

Predict KF in this game? Which KF will show up? Seriously this one is no way to predict. I think it's kinda nice to not be in a lose lose. ISU has much more to lose than Iowa.

Iowa again has about 80 percent + of what it takes to get to the playoffs. I was hoping petras' weaknesses would be improved and they weren't. It's not like being rusty. ISU will make him pass on the move. That is where the game will be won or lost. He has a great release, but bailed way to early. His footwork just isn't there, but then how did he get the TD? Will he only see TE's? Can he see the breaking single covered WR? Can he get the ball to them? Showed glimpses last year. Iowa doesn't have a power back to get 3.5 into a wall.

Predict KF in this game? Which KF will show up? Seriously this one is no way to predict. I think it's kinda nice to not be in a lose lose. ISU has much more to lose than Iowa.

Iowa again has about 80 percent + of what it takes to get to the playoffs. I was hoping petras' weaknesses would be improved and they weren't. It's not like being rusty. ISU will make him pass on the move. That is where the game will be won or lost. He has a great release, but bailed way to early. His footwork just isn't there, but then how did he get the TD? Will he only see TE's? Can he see the breaking single covered WR? Can he get the ball to them? Showed glimpses last year. Iowa doesn't have a power back to get 3.5 into a wall.
Given that in interviews they said that they needed to start hot and take an early lead against Indiana I am hoping/expecting the same mentality. I also expect that if they can score 14 in the first half they fully intend to do basically nothing on offense from then on, which has bit us in the ass in the past. That said, I am not convinced that Iowa State's offensive line will look better than last week, and they looked bad, so I think 14 might well be enough to win.

Anyone know what Kolar's injury was. I can just find "lower body injury". And is he 100% this weekend? Hopefully he's not, as he can be a difference maker for them.

Given that in interviews they said that they needed to start hot and take an early lead against Indiana I am hoping/expecting the same mentality. I also expect that if they can score 14 in the first half they fully intend to do basically nothing on offense from then on, which has bit us in the ass in the past. That said, I am not convinced that Iowa State's offensive line will look better than last week, and they looked bad, so I think 14 might well be enough to win.
The line play was shocking, but so was Iowa/NDSU. The little bit I saw was that UNI new they were overmatched and ISU didn't seem to concerned, but it could have turned different.

Two years ago ISU gained 30% of their yardage, and accounted for 14 out of their 17 points, on breakdowns by the Hawkeye's secondary.

The first was when DJ Johnson (playing due to injury to Moss and pre-emergence of Belton) totally bit on the double-pass (51 yard TD).

The second was a 73 yard TD on the 2nd play of the 2nd half. Not sure of their coverage, but it appears Stone got caught with eyes on the play-action and failed to get to his half.

Aside from those 2 plays, ISU had 7 other drives (4 punts, 1 fumble, 1 turned over on downs, 1 FG).

In 2018 Iowa didn't give up any big plays. ISU had 11 drives (1 FG, 1 fumble, 1 turned over on downs, 8 punts).

So in the last 2 matchups, ISU has had 2 big plays caused by Iowa breakdowns in the secondary. Aside from that, they have had 18 drives that resulted in more punts (12) than points (6).

This is a better ISU team than 2018 or 2019. But I don't see this back 7 giving up big plays due to breakdowns. Breece Hall might be the difference maker, he might make something out of nothing. But if they contain him, I like Iowa's chances.
Same ISU team as 2019 minus a standout WR.

And that big run against Indiana to open the game. Pushing the back to the outside is ISU's actual defensive strategy. They do that inside run blitz from a light box thing Saturday and Iowa will break off two or three of those.

Big day for the TEs sealing that outside block coming. Book it. Iowa by 7.

Hawks by a million.

Scoring a million points in a 60 minute football contest would require a team to score over 277 points per second. This is not possible.

At the end of the day, this is the best Iowa State team ever. I think this is a 41-6 ISU victory. Just a thrashing. Two defensive TDs for them and our defense will give up by the third quarter after the 9th straight 3 and out.

High of 96 in Ames on Saturday--94 at kickoff. I have no idea if they're deeper than us, but they have a lot of seniors, would that mean they have more depth?

We play to not give up the big play, so sometimes we give up first downs to lengthen drives (which is a good strategy IMO). Will our defense be on the field for too many plays?

If we can control the ball, that should swing in our direction.

Either way, 96 is pretty damn hot.

Scoring a million points in a 60 minute football contest would require a team to score over 277 points per second. This is not possible.

At the end of the day, this is the best Iowa State team ever. I think this is a 41-6 ISU victory. Just a thrashing. Two defensive TDs for them and our defense will give up by the third quarter after the 9th straight 3 and out.
Hawks by 750,000 then.

Final offer.

I've been part of a rather large accident settlement negotiation before and I know how your lawyer math works.

High of 96 in Ames on Saturday--94 at kickoff. I have no idea if they're deeper than us, but they have a lot of seniors, would that mean they have more depth?

We play to not give up the big play, so sometimes we give up first downs to lengthen drives (which is a good strategy IMO). Will our defense be on the field for too many plays?

Let’s just make it 96 points then

Jesus H. Christ. I live in the Deep South and the hottest day of the year here was July 28 when it hit 95 degrees. Hitting 96 the second week in September is unreal. And it will be in the 30's in 8 weeks up there.

Latest posts