Inflation Thread

Ok, related question. Major financial and family decisions ahead - this forum seems like the right

What you all think? A move would probably change the retirement formula for me given no more mortgage. Now the right time? Or maybe houses only continues to sky rocket out here so give it another year. Or just realize we're happy and enjoying the life we've made, so don't mess it up.

You said you could work remote but what about the wife? would she have a similar job like her's waiting for her in Iowa City.

Tonight California Rep. Katie Porter, who is from Iowa and a very sharp finance person, was talking about inflation. She mentioned one of the big drivers of inflation is price gouging. She said if a component X of a company's product goes up Y% then that company should pass on a price increase of Y%, or maybe just a small % over that amount. But she said that means companies would still be making about the same level of profits as they were about the beginning to Mid-2021.

But she says that is not the case when you look at the profit statements of many companies who are garnering profit increases of 100 to 300%. As I said, a lot of businesses are using the inflation News to raise their prices larger than needed amounts. She says the govt and the people need to call these companies out on this.

But again as I said happened back in the late 1970's and through much of the 1980's, the economists, financial analysts, and researchers do not catch the price gougers until much later and then it is too late.

I just want to say that I really appreciate this thread. I'm learning a thing or two.

I also wanted to comment on the 50 year old involuntary retirement. That's happened to my brother in law. Twice. The Bobs probably asked him "what is it that you think you do here?" and he didn't give a great answer about the TPS reports. "I'm a people person, goddam it!"

Personally, I'm riding the career wave (health care, hospitals) until I cannot anymore. I'm finally in a "C" level job at a major academic institution, and come into the hospital 5 days a week and I'm available on weekends. It can be rewarding work, and it's probably very stable, but given the state of our society and health care... it's exhausting. Our hospitals are 100% full every day. The pandemic, combined with the general decline of civility in our country has really been exhausting for health care workers, and now they have to deal with super angry patients who "did their research" and know more than experts. Our teams get hit, spat upon, and called names every day. Ok, end rant.

Anyone want to discuss retirement in Belize or other locations as a topic? :)

Yeah, bruh, healthcare delivery is immune from the 50 year old retirement rule. So is the government in general unless its a physical job like military, police or firefighting where there is a pension glidepath set up.

For retirement I would recommend Thighland. My cousin runs one of the largest egg farms in the world in Thighland and for a few hundred bucks a month he lives like a king. They also have built a pretty good medical system to try to attract medical tourism from people who live in the socialized medicine paradises like Japan, Canada and the EU. Medical care as you age is a big issue and not every cheap locale is going to have suitable healthcare available, but Thighland does. As I think I told you years ago, when I lived in Japan my insurance policy said I had to go to Thighland or India for any material procedure for which I could be transported out of Japan.

A guy who owned a place in my building in Evanston was a retired state worker and he lived in Costa Rica. This is several years ago, but he said his expenses were $500-$800 a month and that he lived like a multi-multi-millionaire. He kept his place in Evanston so he would have somewhere to stay when he went back to use his post-retirement Cadillac health plan that the taxpayers were funding. That state is doomed.

Tonight California Rep. Katie Porter, who is from Iowa and a very sharp finance person, was talking about inflation. She mentioned one of the big drivers of inflation is price gouging. She said if a component X of a company's product goes up Y% then that company should pass on a price increase of Y%, or maybe just a small % over that amount. But she said that means companies would still be making about the same level of profits as they were about the beginning to Mid-2021.

But she says that is not the case when you look at the profit statements of many companies who are garnering profit increases of 100 to 300%. As I said, a lot of businesses are using the inflation News to raise their prices larger than needed amounts. She says the govt and the people need to call these companies out on this.

But again as I said happened back in the late 1970's and through much of the 1980's, the economists, financial analysts, and researchers do not catch the price gougers until much later and then it is too late.

Katie was my bankruptcy prof at U of Iowa. She's smart. She's actually from Durty Dodge but went to some fancy boarding schools out east, so she ain't really "Iowa." I'd really like a list of these companies who are "price gouging" so I could invest in them. With all this price gouging the stock market must be going through the roof.

Katie was my bankruptcy prof at U of Iowa. She's smart. She's actually from Durty Dodge but went to some fancy boarding schools out east, so she ain't really "Iowa." I'd really like a list of these companies who are "price gouging" so I could invest in them. With all this price gouging the stock market must be going through the roof.

The Dow, etc, as you know, is based on a large number of companies. Much of the hit on the Dow lately is from the recent Fed interest rate increase and other factors that Biden, or any president, and our govt can control. Big Oil execs have been hauled in front of Congress very recently to answer questions about price gouging and their lack of increased production which would "cool" inflation. From articles I have read, in the past Big Oil would seen global crude trading going to higher prices and they would quickly increase output to try to get that quick gain in income only to see crude prices fall, as they should and would. Gasoline and natural gas are two large expenditures for families just from one industry.

Crude prices have probably exploded, no pun intended, because of speculation on demand (they know the supply) and a scare with the Russia situation. But when gas stations with a lot of gas in their underground tanks that they bought a few weeks ago raise their prices overnight just because brent crude went up 10% then that is artificial inflation and one could rightfully say it is price gouging as real demand really did not increase overnight.

Katie Porters' mom is from Fons and Porter's quilting business. Yep perhaps they had the money to send her to eastern schools but that is their choice for you to say she 'aint Iowa' is rather shortsighted and a guess on your part.

I am surprised FryIowa hasn't jumped all over your point about being in law school, which I presume you intimated.

I just want to say that I really appreciate this thread. I'm learning a thing or two.

I also wanted to comment on the 50 year old involuntary retirement. That's happened to my brother in law. Twice. The Bobs probably asked him "what is it that you think you do here?" and he didn't give a great answer about the TPS reports. "I'm a people person, goddam it!"

Personally, I'm riding the career wave (health care, hospitals) until I cannot anymore. I'm finally in a "C" level job at a major academic institution, and come into the hospital 5 days a week and I'm available on weekends. It can be rewarding work, and it's probably very stable, but given the state of our society and health care... it's exhausting. Our hospitals are 100% full every day. The pandemic, combined with the general decline of civility in our country has really been exhausting for health care workers, and now they have to deal with super angry patients who "did their research" and know more than experts. Our teams get hit, spat upon, and called names every day. Ok, end rant.

I heard Belize is a great destination.

Thank you for your work in healthcare. Yes, it is changing times and you all put up with a lot of crap. These people "did their research" but they are for the most part reliant on your knowledge, experience, education and skills.

Price gouging doesn't drive total economic inflation. Inflation provides companies the opportunity to price gouge. You are looking at it backwards and she is merely making an excuse.

Otherwise, we'd have 10 fold more inflation going on if it was companies choice to price gouge all the time. Doesn't make sense. You gotta take the blinders off buddy!

A lot to keep up with on this thread, but yeah, as someone over 40 I've already felt like I've had to be nimble and move around a bit within the organization to stay ahead of the posse. The good news is we are in the client services biz, so I can develop individual relationships with clients that insulates me somewhat from the Bobs. I try to both sell and help execute the work, so as long as my name is attached to that revenue I'm ok. But increasingly clear there is a layer of oligarchs at the top, and a push for that cheap/smart/young labor coming up from below. I can also pivot within the sectors I serve, so building some pretty loyal clients within healthcare/health insurance isn't the worst place to be. And certainly seems like I can do that from Iowa City or the Pac-NW.

Here is a fun new wrinkle for you. In recent weeks, my company has contracted with a firm peddling an app called lovework. I mean, actually it is #lovework. I shit you not. The division I work for must be piloting this program for our whole organization. But we're honestly being mandated to download this app and check in on it daily. I checked the box and got off the naughty list by downloading it, but otherwise haven't done shit with it. And now we have smaller team meetings being put on our calendars on a regular basis to discuss the results. This is apparently like a 12 month engagement. The firm touts some kind of bullshit about metrics related to decreased turnover/improved morale with this app, but honest to f*cking god. Some rep from the firm was on a call with us yesterday and was mentioning authenticity and leadership. Jesus - there is nothing authentic or nor will any leadership be developed by being mandated to download an app.

Supposedly you take some surveys and identify your energizers and your drainers and the whole spectrum of your "energy wheel." And there are daily activities related to it. You give "kudos" to others on your team, etc.

I just can't. If this was a one-off deal at an off-site team building event, no big deal. Internal trainings involve that kind of thing - everyone plays along, you get some nice meals for a few days, everyone gets away from their kids for a couple nights, you hit the bar together. This is an on-going engagement, with regularly scheduled calls to talk about it. Thus far I've been able to drag my feet since the whole thing got delayed with emails going to quarantine (nice roll out guys), but not sure how long I can hide out.

Anyone heard of this love work app?

Yeah, bruh, healthcare delivery is immune from the 50 year old retirement rule. So is the government in general unless its a physical job like military, police or firefighting where there is a pension glidepath set up.

For retirement I would recommend Thighland. My cousin runs one of the largest egg farms in the world in Thighland and for a few hundred bucks a month he lives like a king. They also have built a pretty good medical system to try to attract medical tourism from people who live in the socialized medicine paradises like Japan, Canada and the EU. Medical care as you age is a big issue and not every cheap locale is going to have suitable healthcare available, but Thighland does. As I think I told you years ago, when I lived in Japan my insurance policy said I had to go to Thighland or India for any material procedure for which I could be transported out of Japan.

A guy who owned a place in my building in Evanston was a retired state worker and he lived in Costa Rica. This is several years ago, but he said his expenses were $500-$800 a month and that he lived like a multi-multi-millionaire. He kept his place in Evanston so he would have somewhere to stay when he went back to use his post-retirement Cadillac health plan that the taxpayers were funding. That state is doomed.
Thanks. I used to talk about being an expat when I retire in a joking way, now I'm kinda serious about it. Thanks for the Thighland consult. I hear you can do fun things there. Costa Rica would also be awesome for nature (mtn biking, hiking, drinking under a tree).

The Dow, etc, as you know, is based on a large number of companies. Much of the hit on the Dow lately is from the recent Fed interest rate increase and other factors that Biden, or any president, and our govt can control. Big Oil execs have been hauled in front of Congress very recently to answer questions about price gouging and their lack of increased production which would "cool" inflation. From articles I have read, in the past Big Oil would seen global crude trading going to higher prices and they would quickly increase output to try to get that quick gain in income only to see crude prices fall, as they should and would. Gasoline and natural gas are two large expenditures for families just from one industry.

Crude prices have probably exploded, no pun intended, because of speculation on demand (they know the supply) and a scare with the Russia situation. But when gas stations with a lot of gas in their underground tanks that they bought a few weeks ago raise their prices overnight just because brent crude went up 10% then that is artificial inflation and one could rightfully say it is price gouging as real demand really did not increase overnight.

Katie Porters' mom is from Fons and Porter's quilting business. Yep perhaps they had the money to send her to eastern schools but that is their choice for you to say she 'aint Iowa' is rather shortsighted and a guess on your part.

I am surprised FryIowa hasn't jumped all over your point about being in law school, which I presume you intimated.

The manager at a moderately busy QT near my house told me they move 80,000 gallons in a typical week. He said one day last year they moved 26,000 gallons when the pipeline went down and there was a run. If you think they are sitting on gas inventory for weeks, I seriously don't know what more to say than please learn about underlying facts of the oil business. Should they segregate their old gas from their new gas? Selling gas retail is a bad business, QT makes their money on the store. But they do massive gas volume because they know it drives business to the store. Your gas going up a dime overnight two hours before the truck with the next load shows up is not why gas is expensive. Should they also hold the price higher when oil comes down until all the high cost inventory is sold? That would crush the store. Sometimes they lose on the trade, sometimes they win, but that's all beside the point. No one selling gas at retail is an oil major. They all sold those businesses off years ago because there's no money in it, the money is in selling Pepsi and Marlboros and Lotto tickets inside the store.

The people currently in charge of the country have stated their goal of cutting carbon emissions. The Commissar of Energy is John Kerry. He pushed banks to sign a UN pledge not to finance oil and gas projects, which the major banks all obliged. This was just about 16 months ago, not exactly ancient history. These people are opposed to drilling of oil, they are opposed to transporting oil via pipeline, they are opposed to construction of any new oil infrastructure. This is all well documented. Hell, you've probably seen it. You shouldn't be surprised when they do what they say they are going to do an prices go up. That's literally their goal. They want to price people out of oil and force them into other energy sources. They've already taken far more extreme measures in Europe. The problem is the other sources of energy are decades off from widespread commercial viability.

The people who manage assets are in on it as well. There was a proxy fight at Exxon because a handful of insane leftists want oil companies to do all sorts of green energy shit. And the leftists won. Substantial oil price increases are a stated goal of most leftist political parties in the West. They've telegraphed it. Now you get to live with it. I even described this shit last year on another thread on here:

if these people hijack the board and slash its exploration and capex budget, it is going to have very fucking negative consequences for the United States. I don't give a shit what target automakers have, oil is going to be critical for developed economies for decades. If Black Rock or Vanguard wants "green energy" they should invest in it, not force some behemoth like Exxon to move out of its core competency. Look at what happened to GM when they tried to turn into a conglomerate. Look at what happened to GE when they thought they could get into finance. Look at what happened to AIG when they pretended to be an investment bank. These mega corps are not designed to pivot. They simply can't do it over a prolonged period. Freightliner ain't gonna move product from the Wal-Mart distro center to your local store without oil. BNSF ain't gonna get your products from the port to the inland port without oil. Boeing's airplanes ain't gonna fly without oil. The CAT equipment that mines the cobalt and lithium ain't gonna run without oil.
Does anyone have any experiences in investing in Cryptocurrencies? | HawkeyeNation.com Forum

Hydrocarbons are the bedrock of Western economies and will be for decades to come. These people do not give a solitary F if they push hydrocarbon prices through the roof because they're so rich it doesn't affect them. It will diminish your standard of living, but that is a price they are willing to pay.

A lot to keep up with on this thread, but yeah, as someone over 40 I've already felt like I've had to be nimble and move around a bit within the organization to stay ahead of the posse. The good news is we are in the client services biz, so I can develop individual relationships with clients that insulates me somewhat from the Bobs. I try to both sell and help execute the work, so as long as my name is attached to that revenue I'm ok. But increasingly clear there is a layer of oligarchs at the top, and a push for that cheap/smart/young labor coming up from below. I can also pivot within the sectors I serve, so building some pretty loyal clients within healthcare/health insurance isn't the worst place to be. And certainly seems like I can do that from Iowa City or the Pac-NW.

Here is a fun new wrinkle for you. In recent weeks, my company has contracted with a firm peddling an app called lovework. I mean, actually it is #lovework. I shit you not. The division I work for must be piloting this program for our whole organization. But we're honestly being mandated to download this app and check in on it daily. I checked the box and got off the naughty list by downloading it, but otherwise haven't done shit with it. And now we have smaller team meetings being put on our calendars on a regular basis to discuss the results. This is apparently like a 12 month engagement. The firm touts some kind of bullshit about metrics related to decreased turnover/improved morale with this app, but honest to f*cking god. Some rep from the firm was on a call with us yesterday and was mentioning authenticity and leadership. Jesus - there is nothing authentic or nor will any leadership be developed by being mandated to download an app.

Supposedly you take some surveys and identify your energizers and your drainers and the whole spectrum of your "energy wheel." And there are daily activities related to it. You give "kudos" to others on your team, etc.

I just can't. If this was a one-off deal at an off-site team building event, no big deal. Internal trainings involve that kind of thing - everyone plays along, you get some nice meals for a few days, everyone gets away from their kids for a couple nights, you hit the bar together. This is an on-going engagement, with regularly scheduled calls to talk about it. Thus far I've been able to drag my feet since the whole thing got delayed with emails going to quarantine (nice roll out guys), but not sure how long I can hide out.

Anyone heard of this love work app?

Oh #uck, that sounds brutal! Sounds like some greeny tree hugger shit. I can't stand that crap. Good luck with that.

I work for a university, the university. You ought to see the HR video/trainings we're required to have to watch and complete on a yearly basis. Included in that is all the other social issue bullshit we have to put up with. Emails from every organization galore. If you are a white male who has conservative principles, even if just economically, you get labeled a "racist". It gets nauseating. I'm really a fish out of water in this setting.

The manager at a moderately busy QT near my house told me they move 80,000 gallons in a typical week. He said one day last year they moved 26,000 gallons when the pipeline went down and there was a run. If you think they are sitting on gas inventory for weeks, I seriously don't know what more to say than please learn about underlying facts of the oil business. Should they segregate their old gas from their new gas? Selling gas retail is a bad business, QT makes their money on the store. But they do massive gas volume because they know it drives business to the store. Your gas going up a dime overnight two hours before the truck with the next load shows up is not why gas is expensive. Should they also hold the price higher when oil comes down until all the high cost inventory is sold? That would crush the store. Sometimes they lose on the trade, sometimes they win, but that's all beside the point. No one selling gas at retail is an oil major. They all sold those businesses off years ago because there's no money in it, the money is in selling Pepsi and Marlboros and Lotto tickets inside the store.

The people currently in charge of the country have stated their goal of cutting carbon emissions. The Commissar of Energy is John Kerry. He pushed banks to sign a UN pledge not to finance oil and gas projects, which the major banks all obliged. This was just about 16 months ago, not exactly ancient history. These people are opposed to drilling of oil, they are opposed to transporting oil via pipeline, they are opposed to construction of any new oil infrastructure. This is all well documented. Hell, you've probably seen it. You shouldn't be surprised when they do what they say they are going to do an prices go up. That's literally their goal. They want to price people out of oil and force them into other energy sources. They've already taken far more extreme measures in Europe. The problem is the other sources of energy are decades off from widespread commercial viability.

The people who manage assets are in on it as well. There was a proxy fight at Exxon because a handful of insane leftists want oil companies to do all sorts of green energy shit. And the leftists won. Substantial oil price increases are a stated goal of most leftist political parties in the West. They've telegraphed it. Now you get to live with it. I even described this shit last year on another thread on here:

Does anyone have any experiences in investing in Cryptocurrencies? | HawkeyeNation.com Forum

Hydrocarbons are the bedrock of Western economies and will be for decades to come. These people do not give a solitary F if they push hydrocarbon prices through the roof because they're so rich it doesn't affect them. It will diminish your standard of living, but that is a price they are willing to pay.

I have a question. I bet you can shed some light. I live in the Iowa City area. Iowa City notoriously ALWAYS has the highest prices for gas in Iowa, it seems. Every gas station in town. How is that? With that competition, wouldn't one think that prices would be competitive like in other areas. I can go 15 minutes up the road to the Eastern Iowa Airport in Cedar Rapids and gas is usually 8-10 cents lower, ALL THE TME! The very same if I go east on Interstate 80 towards Davenport or to the Word's Largest Truck Stop. So, do the convenience stores in Iowa City are all have this pact to keep the prices higher? How do they all follow that and not try to get under each other, even from time-to-time. Why is there this pocket of substantially higher gas prices in the pocket that is the Iowa City area. I've never understood this.

Also, pertaining to you stating "These people are opposed to drilling of oil, they are opposed to transporting oil via pipeline, they are opposed to construction of any new oil infrastructure."

I truly don't understand these people and their thinking. I don't understand people that don't want pipelines for efficiency. These same people bitch about carbon emissions and how it is causing global warming and want everybody to drive an electric car that we are no where near having the infra-structure to handle that load on a grid. But, they are sure fine to have gas haulers drive the road, causing carbon emissions, being a threat on the road for an accident that could be very dangerous. They are such hypocrites. They don't want pipelines because of a potential leak but they sure will risk trucks in accidents that could spill gasoline into the soil. Fucking hypocrites. It's all just political leverage to drive their agenda.

In all seriousness, I had thought about retiring in Ukraine. My skill set is very agriculturally based and have ties to universities there. That thought kind of blew up.

I have a question. I bet you can shed some light. I live in the Iowa City area. Iowa City notoriously ALWAYS has the highest prices for gas in Iowa, it seems. Every gas station in town. How is that? With that competition, wouldn't one think that prices would be competitive like in other areas. I can go 15 minutes up the road to the Eastern Iowa Airport in Cedar Rapids and gas is usually 8-10 cents lower, ALL THE TME! The very same if I go east on Interstate 80 towards Davenport or to the Word's Largest Truck Stop. So, do the convenience stores in Iowa City are all have this pact to keep the prices higher? How do they all follow that and not try to get under each other, even from time-to-time. Why is there this pocket of substantially higher gas prices in the pocket that is the Iowa City area. I've never understood this.

Also, pertaining to you stating "These people are opposed to drilling of oil, they are opposed to transporting oil via pipeline, they are opposed to construction of any new oil infrastructure."

I truly don't understand these people and their thinking. I don't understand people that don't want pipelines for efficiency. These same people bitch about carbon emissions and how it is causing global warming and want everybody to drive an electric car that we are no where near having the infra-structure to handle that load on a grid. But, they are sure fine to have gas haulers drive the road, causing carbon emissions, being a threat on the road for an accident that could be very dangerous. They are such hypocrites. They don't want pipelines because of a potential leak but they sure will risk trucks in accidents that could spill gasoline into the soil. Fucking hypocrites. It's all just political leverage to drive their agenda.
Truck accidents occur at a size where soil can be removed. Pipelines.. no

I think you are missing the point. Tar sand oil extraction is pretty environmentally unfavorable compared to normal extraction. Therein is the biggest rub. It is basically strip mining for oil. Wetlands are needed environmentally and are shrinking big time for a number of reasons, including climate change.... and yes the climate is changing. Why? Who knows for sure but in part has to be attributed to pollution. The North Dakota Mo River basin is where the issue is and in conjunction with tribal lands.

The bigger issue is the influence on politicians to avoid renewable energy due the oil industry. As oil dies out, expect more wars and conflicts over oil demand and needs. The Ukraine War is entirely over oil.

Someday history will look back on environmental damage and think ...what the hell.

Truck accidents occur at a size where soil can be removed. Pipelines.. no

I think you are missing the point. Tar sand oil extraction is pretty environmentally unfavorable compared to normal extraction. Therein is the biggest rub. It is basically strip mining for oil. Wetlands are needed environmentally and are shrinking big time for a number of reasons, including climate change.... and yes the climate is changing. Why? Who knows for sure but in part has to be attributed to pollution. The North Dakota Mo River basin is where the issue is and in conjunction with tribal lands.

The bigger issue is the influence on politicians to avoid renewable energy due the oil industry. As oil dies out, expect more wars and conflicts over oil demand and needs. The Ukraine War is entirely over oil.

Someday history will look back on environmental damage and think ...what the hell.

The climate is evolving like it always has. I mean in the 1970's the left wingers were claiming that another ice age is coming jut because there were a few years of very bad winters. Funny thing is snowfall really doesn't have a thing to do with an ice age. They couldn't sell that over the years, then they shifted to global warming to scare everyone and to drive their agenda. Now they stopped calling it global warming alone and now call it "Climate Change" which can be a broader classification and go both ways.

Yes this earth has had ice ages, climate changes and other weather phenomena in the past. It evolves like it always has, IMO.

The price of gas/oil is an equation of a number of things, including the War in Ukraine. Also, Biden has started to refill the strategic reserve which will last for a couple on months and pressure prices.

We had a recent economic reset that likely is just beginning. When that happens, commodities most always go up. So do houses and the stock market is higher than it should be which is indicative of economic conditions which is why the economic reset.

University towns (BIG) all seem to have higher gas prices. They couldn't do it if there wasn't local demand. I don't really think about Iowa gas prices as it's so much lower than Iowa's east neighbor.

Sand tar extraction. Between this and fracking ND is becoming on enviromental cess pool

1652452830686.png

The climate is evolving like it always has. I mean in the 1970's the left wingers were claiming that another ice age is coming jut because there were a few years of very bad winters. Funny thing is snowfall really doesn't have a thing to do with an ice age. They couldn't sell that over the years, then they shifted to global warming to scare everyone and to drive their agenda. Now they stopped calling it global warming alone and now call it "Climate Change" which can be a broader classification and go both ways.

Yes this earth has had ice ages, climate changes and other weather phenomena in the past. It evolves like it always has, IMO.
I'm not an environmentalist. Agree with much, but no way some isn't from man's activities. Also, climate change/warming can also cause colder temps in locations.

Scare tactics are both left and right. Both sides have agendas.

Are you old enough (I think I'm a bit older than you) to remember KCRG talking about the radioactive clouds from "harmless tests" that were passing overhead? 25 years ago talking about earthworms in ag would get you laughed out of the room. Roundup... is harmless... (BASF reps used to eat a tablespoon of Basagran to show how harmless it was in front of crowds). Ever heard of Radium Girls?

Just be glad there are arguments whether you agree with all arguments.

Damn, it's still that way in Iowa City? It was always a dime higher than everywhere else. I don't know if they have an extra tax or something or if it's not a gas tax itself they could have a different city or county property tax rate for gas stations that forces them to have higher prices to fund the property tax. It could be pipeline terminal proximity, too. It might run up to CR and create more transport costs. That huge southeast/east coast pipeline runs just south of where I live and there is definitely some relief on prices the closer to the pipeline terminal you get because the transport costs are lower.

What the average leftist doesn't understand is the extent to which oligarchs directly influence policy in the Dem's national platform. Yes, a pipeline poses risk. Absolutely. Pipelines should be subject to stringent monitoring to mitigate that risk. But once it's done, the carbon emissions for moving product are damned near zero. But to the oligarch point, the giant rail company BNSF is owned by Warren Buffet's company, Berkshire Hathaway. They own a ton of track over and adjacent to the Bakken shale reserves. Canada also has a bunch of oil, maybe 10% of proven global reserves. Guess who is the largest shareholder in CN, the biggest Canadian railway company that benefits from the lack of a feasible pipeline out of Canada? If you guessed Bill Gates you are correct. A decade of propaganda has created a near Pavlovian negative response in the typical NPC leftist if you even mention the word pipeline nowadays.

Latest posts