In this thread we name all the coaches BARTA hired who turned out great

the state of Texas? And we're talking about the guy who hasn't taken TCU to the dance right?

Look at TCU's history and our history and tell me which one should be easier to recruit to. Some of you guys will try to find any lame excuse you can to why we aren't having success right now. TCU hasn't made the tournament in 20 years!

Look at TCU's history and our history and tell me which one should be easier to recruit to. Some of you guys will try to find any lame excuse you can to why we aren't having success right now. TCU hasn't made the tournament in 20 years!

and still haven't. I don't get your take?

TCU will make the dance this year. If you hire a good coach you don't have to make excuses in year 8.

No one is making excuses? I am not. Who's making excuses? Fran gets no excuse for me. I just don't think it warrants firing. That's not making an excuse, that's giving him some credit for the job he's done in helping resurrect the program. The last 4 seasons prove that. How is that making excuses? Jamie Dixon is one of the best coaches in the game. I still don't get your point? Is one of the best basketball coaches in the game on Iowa's hiring radar? And let's say Dixon makes the NCAA this year, but doesn't next, should TCU fire him? I am not making ANY excuses for Fran, he's the head coach of Iowa basketball, he doesn't answer to me or need me to make excuses.

No one is making excuses? I am not. Who's making excuses? Fran gets no excuse for me. I just don't think it warrants firing. That's not making an excuse, that's giving him some credit for the job he's done in helping resurrect the program. The last 4 seasons prove that. How is that making excuses? Jamie Dixon is one of the best coaches in the game. I still don't get your point? Is one of the best basketball coaches in the game on Iowa's hiring radar? And let's say Dixon makes the NCAA this year, but doesn't next, should TCU fire him? I am not making ANY excuses for Fran, he's the head coach of Iowa basketball, he doesn't answer to me or need me to make excuses.

This sounds like you making an excuse for me. I wonder what Dixon had to sell at TCU when he got there?

It still doesn't explain the crap we're watching now, even though, you could technically look at it for what it was. This years Jr and Sr. classes were recruited to Iowa when all Fran had to sell was hope.

This sounds like you making an excuse for me. I wonder what Dixon had to sell at TCU when he got there?

It still doesn't explain the crap we're watching now, even though, you could technically look at it for what it was. This years Jr and Sr. classes were recruited to Iowa when all Fran had to sell was hope.

no, that's the truth. It's not an excuse. Are you saying that it's impossible that Dixon might miss a dance ever again? Late into his tenure at a school? I think he missed at Pitt? Dixon has done a tremendous job and is one of the best basketball coaches in the game. But I bet if he misses a dance or 2 after getting them there 3 out of 4 years, they won't run his ass out right away?

What do you want from me? Your point aint landing.

no, that's the truth. It's not an excuse. Are you saying that it's impossible that Dixon might miss a dance ever again? Late into his tenure at a school? I think he missed at Pitt? Dixon has done a tremendous job and is one of the best basketball coaches in the game. But I bet if he misses a dance or 2 after getting them there 3 out of 4 years, they won't run his ass out right away?

What do you want from me? Your point aint landing.

Yes it is. You are making an excuse that all Fran had to sell in his 5th and 6th recruiting class was hope which is hilarious. Considering you say that is the truth it makes me wonder how you can support a coach that can only sell hope that far into his tenure.

Yes it is. You are making an excuse that all Fran had to sell in his 5th and 6th recruiting class was hope which is hilarious. Considering you say that is the truth it makes me wonder how you can support a coach that can only sell hope that far into his tenure.

Yeah, I'm the worst I am sure. Don't worry about me, I'm just fine.

I'm not saying you're the worst I'm just pointing out that making excuses or truths as you call it about Fran's 5th and 6th recruiting class says a lot about his ability to get players.

Being right all the time has to be exhausting.

I like Fran. I give him credit when he should get it, I blame him when he should get it. I blame him for his 4th and 5th classes. They are bad. He didn't have a lot to sell. I don't excuse them but it's fairly easily explained. Excuses and explained theory as to why they are bad are 2 different things. I take into acct his 2nd year class that was pretty good too. Also - I like 6th, 7th and 8th classes a lot. That's just my opinion. I am entitled to it. I appreciate you expressing yours. I do take things away from it, but it doesn't really change my feelings.

I think the narrative that Fran should/will be fired at the end of this year is short sided. Are there things with this team that need to be fixed? Absolutely. Is it bad enough that he should be fired after a rough season? Not in my opinion. My guess is he gets at least thru the end of next year (if there's another bad year). Sometimes I think people forgot what this program looked like with Lick around. Not just the wins and losses (mostly losses) but just how gawd awful boring they were to watch. It was unbearable.

Fran's had 1 losing season and that was the first one and year two was very close but the cupboard he had to pull from was pretty bare. Since then, he went on a 4 straight year 20+ win streak and last year was one game short at 19. There's plenty to fault Fran with but to can him after one bad year in 6 seasons just seems knee jerk to me.

Being right all the time has to be exhausting.

I like Fran. I give him credit when he should get it, I blame him when he should get it. I blame him for his 4th and 5th classes. They are bad. He didn't have a lot to sell. I don't excuse them but it's fairly easily explained. Excuses and explained theory as to why they are bad are 2 different things. I take into acct his 2nd year class that was pretty good too. Also - I like 6th, 7th and 8th classes a lot. That's just my opinion. I am entitled to it. I appreciate you expressing yours. I do take things away from it, but it doesn't really change my feelings.

His 4th class was Jok. If he didn't have much to sell for his 5th and 6th classes what does that say about his first 4 years here?

Just because you can point out rare examples of something working out, doesn't mean there isn't a huge disadvantage that needs to be factored in.

Fran has already made the dance well before year 8.

So you're saying he gets worse as time goes on? You realize that's not the endorsement you think it is?!?

81510614.jpg

So you're saying he gets worse as time goes on? You realize that's not the endorsement you think it is?!?

81510614.jpg

Most people understand that a coaching trajectory is like a rollercoaster. You must think it's a rollercoaster with only one hill.

That's some major spin. Fran has a total of 2 NCAA tourney wins in 8 years (yes, I'm including this season, cause it ain't happening) and a career losing record in Big Ten play. With no PG and unbalanced roster that ain't changing any time soon.

The Director's Cup standings combined with the Meyer debacle paint a pretty clear picture of incompetence. If it wasn't for Iowa football (which was a cash machine long before GB moved to Iowa City) he'd be a flop. But, he's just the kind of AD the East bank folks want...says all the right things and is milquetoast rather than too aggressive and masculine like a Barry Alvarez or Gene Smith.

You were doing fine...until you typed out "G-e-n-e_S-m-i-t-h". Only at O$U could that guy be an AD and not get charged with racketeering. If THAT is the type of guy wanted as our AD, we have a serious disconnect in the fan base. Comparing him to Alvarez is a serious slight to Alvarez's character perception.

Latest posts