In this thread we name all the coaches BARTA hired who turned out great

I’ve seen Barta watching the football games and he seems to get excited somewhat but does anyone ever see Barta watching the basketball games ? I mean actually watching instead of socializing ? Does he even like the sport? Could he care less? Is he a diehard hoops fan? Would he even know if we are going in the right direction?

Said it before and I'll say it again: Gary Barta was hired to make Iowa Athletics profitable, not necessarily successful.

That's why Barta added luxury box suites to Kinnick, that's why Barta added more jumbotrons to Kinnick, that's why Barta is renovating the North Endzone in Kinnick (less fans -> more expensive seats).

If you don't like it, take it up with the president and board of regents. He is doing exactly what they hired him to do.

Said it before and I'll say it again: Gary Barta was hired to make Iowa Athletics profitable, not necessarily successful.

That's why Barta added luxury box suites to Kinnick, that's why Barta added more jumbotrons to Kinnick, that's why Barta is renovating the North Endzone in Kinnick (less fans -> more expensive seats).

If you don't like it, take it up with the president and board of regents. He is doing exactly what they hired him to do.

Is it okay if they just stop attending basketball games to show their displeasure?

The motto for University of Iowa athletics ought to be "Iowa, where mediocrity is good enough."

At least based on Barta's Wiki entry, it appears his biggest accomplishments are spending money on buildings and stuff. Nothing wrong with that. But it would be nice if those investments led to greater accomplishments on the court and on the field. Debatable that that has actually happened.

The second paragraph of Gary Barta's tenure at Iowa according to Wikipedia:

Barta became Director of Athletics on August 1, 2006. Since his arrival at Iowa, Barta has spearheaded numerous upgrades to current athletic facilities and the construction of many new facilities. Including the expansion of the administrative office complex at Carver–Hawkeye Arena. The expansion of the wrestling training facility and building of new practice gyms and weight training facilities also at Carver–Hawkeye Arena. The upgrade of the sound system, scoreboard and video boards at Kinnick Stadium. The Construction of the Hoak Family Golf Complex. The building of both the P. Sue Beckwith Boat House and the Campus Recreation and Aquatic Center in partnership with the University's Department of Recreational Services. In the fall of 2014 the new Stew & LeNore Hansen Football Performance Center was completed which includes the new Richard O. Jacobson Football Operations Center and a new 120 yard indoor practice field. Also in late 2014, a new artificial baseball playing surface was installed at Duane Banks Field. In 2016 new video scoreboards were installed at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

This

I agree actually... Tom definitely had more good will, different times..all I am saying is, he had bad teams too and late in his program. He never went to 4 straight NCAA's and ...IMO, firing Fran right now is way too knee jerk.

Okay you're on record with Fran. What will it take for you to go on record with Gary?

He can't win with Iowa fans, it's a pretty tough gig. He now doesn't get credit for Fran because of 1 bad year that isn't even finished yet. Iowa fans want Fran gone now after 1 step back, and they turned on him in a heart beat. Like the second they could turn on him they have. So, Gary's a giant goof because he doesn't have a knee jerk reaction to Iowa's misfortunes this season and doesn't blow things up.

Fran was 34-20 in B1G play the last 3 years. That's good.

I get it that hes 1-5 RIGHT NOW

but... Mr. Davis was 4-14 in his fourth season and 5-13 in his eighth.
Fire Fran might be knee jerk. Doing nothing is probably appropriate. Giving Fran an extension is fucking retarded. So yeah Fire Barta.

Okay you're on record with Fran. What will it take for you to go on record with Gary?
Gary can get canned today for all I care. I'm not that big of a GB supporter, and I will also say that after time to think and read other posters comments on yesterdays news, the extension and buy out and how it was announced is a bad look. I think my initial reactions was - 10 mil to Iowa is a drop in the hat, who cares? It's not my money so I don't get too wound up. If Iowa wants rid of Fran, they will get rid of him. IMO, GB will be gone before that happens, he aint hiring the next coach.

Though I disagree with your methodology, would be keen to hear your views on Gary?

Gary is an extremely bad negotiator and clearly not savvy with contracts, the concept of leverage, or favorable PR optics. Seems to be a solid at networking and fundraising.

I wish him the best with his battle with cancer, but do not believe he should continue as AD.

Heller and Joey Woody were good hires.....that's it.

I would add Shymansky. He has been fighting more of an uphill battle than just about any coach on campus, and he has had more VB success than anyone else at Iowa has for decades. Carter (women's rowing) also seems to be trending up.

Latest posts