In this thread we name all the coaches BARTA hired who turned out great

He can't win with Iowa fans, it's a pretty tough gig. He now doesn't get credit for Fran because of 1 bad year that isn't even finished yet. .

That's some major spin. Fran has a total of 2 NCAA tourney wins in 8 years (yes, I'm including this season, cause it ain't happening) and a career losing record in Big Ten play. With no PG and unbalanced roster that ain't changing any time soon.

The Director's Cup standings combined with the Meyer debacle paint a pretty clear picture of incompetence. If it wasn't for Iowa football (which was a cash machine long before GB moved to Iowa City) he'd be a flop. But, he's just the kind of AD the East bank folks want...says all the right things and is milquetoast rather than too aggressive and masculine like a Barry Alvarez or Gene Smith.

Last edited:
That's some major spin. Fran has a total of 2 NCAA tourney wins in 8 years (yes, I'm including this season, cause it ain't happening) and a career losing record in Big Ten play. With no PG and unbalanced roster that ain't changing any time soon.

The Director's Cup standings combined with the Meyer debacle paint a pretty clear picture of incompetence. If it wasn't for Iowa football (which was a cash machine long before GB moved to Iowa City) he'd be a flop. But, he's just the kind of AD the East bank folks want...says all the right things and is milquetoast rather than too aggressive and masculine like a Barry Alvarez or Gene Smith.

Your post has some major spin too. Including his first season or two is completely worthless. If he had Mr. Davis's first teams, and his first 2 years we're his best 2 years so far, he would have an unbelievably good Big 10 record right now. But that would also be worthless to include those 2 years when judging Fran's job. Now if he would have started after Davis or Alford, you could, and should, include his first years because he wouldn't have walked into an extreme situation one way or the other

It's just funny how at the time, everyone understood why we sucked Fran's first year. Everyone agreed that that first year was on Lick. But now in year 8, people want to use that first year for stats to show why Fran sucked. "His Big 10 record is below .500". Well of course it is since he was so bad his first year. "He is 3 for 8 on making the tourney". That includes his first year where no coach in the world could have gotten them in, his second year where most coaches couldn't have gotten them in, and a year that hasn't even finished yet.

I would say there is good enough evidence now to suggest Fran will get us into the tourney pretty much half of the time, at worst. It's still possible he will be better than that. But that's worst case scenario with him. This 3 out of 8 stat is garbage to even use right now.

It's just funny how at the time, everyone understood why we sucked Fran's first year. Everyone agreed that that first year was on Lick. But now in year 8, people want to use that first year for stats to show why Fran sucked. "His Big 10 record is below .500". Well of course it is since he was so bad his first year. "He is 3 for 8 on making the tourney". That includes his first year where no coach in the world could have gotten them in, his second year where most coaches couldn't have gotten them in, and a year that hasn't even finished yet.

I would say there is good enough evidence now to suggest Fran will get us into the tourney pretty much half of the time, at worst. It's still possible he will be better than that. But that's worst case scenario with him. This 3 out of 8 stat is garbage to even use right now.
Ingoodcompany wants to assign the first 4 years to Lick. He only wants to count the last 3.
If you want to eliminate the first year, Fran is 61-53 in conference games. .53 win %

Last edited:
Ingoodcompany wants to assign the first 4 years to Lick. He only wants to count the last 3.
If you want to eliminate the first year, Fran is 61-53 in conference games. .53 win %

I think it's legitimate to give Fran a pass on his first 2 years. In a stretch you could mayyyybe argue for 3, but mid way thru year 3 it is all Fran.

I think it's legitimate to give Fran a pass on his first 2 years. In a stretch you could mayyyybe argue for 3, but mid way thru year 3 it is all Fran.

So if you truly give him a pass for 2 years, then you can't use 3 of 8 years stats, and under .500 in conference play stats. He has made the tourney 3 of the last 5 years with the 2 misses both being by one game more than likely. It will be 3 of 6 after this year. That's to me the bottom of met expectations bordering on failed expectations. That's why if he misses it next year it should be a no brainer baring a ridiculously good 2019 class.

I think it's ok to round the correct direction. It won't really change your point. I wonder where that puts him in the conference over the last 6 and a third seasons in the conference. My guess is 6th maybe. Not great but probably not fireable just yet. I am a strong believer that you need to establish a solid ground on being average before you can go for good. With Davis, the decision made more sense to go for great because it had been decades since we were bad. Firing average to go for good, right after being terrible, would be a bad look. The chances of it blowing up in our face is a lot more likely than the chances of it working.

agree 100% - I've stated on here a TON that he gets next season to get Iowa back firmly in the dance or he should be fired immediately after. I also agree that with every loss and with how this season in panning out, it gets harder to defend. But again, with perspective.... Tom Davis had years like this and up until this season, Fran has been 34--20 the last 3 seasons at Iowa in the B1G conference. That's good enough to not just run him after a down season.

Fran=symptom

Barta=problem

Relevancy=solution

Last edited:
Bond Shymansky has to be considered a successful program. To go from where they were to being on the verge of making the NCAA tournament is impressive. The program is definitely on it’s way up. Last year they had a few super freshmen as well.

Barta's job performance is based primarily on bringing in the bucks. Ticket sales and athletic contributions. The vast majority of contributions are used to get good seats in the stands, the club seats, and the luxury suites. He tore down the North stands so he could get more club and luxury boxes. Big problem coming up - Starting in 2018, these donations are no longer tax deductible. The the rich donating 50k only cost them 25k in real money in the past. Without this significant tax deduction, I could see reduced contributions and a lot of empty luxury seats/suites.

His job just got a lot harder and more of his past decisions will get increased scrutiny.

Barta's job performance is based primarily on bringing in the bucks. Ticket sales and athletic contributions. The vast majority of contributions are used to get good seats in the stands, the club seats, and the luxury suites. He tore down the North stands so he could get more club and luxury boxes. Big problem coming up - Starting in 2018, these donations are no longer tax deductible. The the rich donating 50k only cost them 25k in real money in the past. Without this significant tax deduction, I could see reduced contributions and a lot of empty luxury seats/suites.

His job just got a lot harder and more of his past decisions will get increased scrutiny.
Is their any buzz on getting the student body closer to the action at carver?

Andrew Carter has also been a great hire. In 2016-2017 they were top 8 in the country.

Last edited:
Your post has some major spin too. Including his first season or two is completely worthless. If he had Mr. Davis's first teams, and his first 2 years we're his best 2 years so far, he would have an unbelievably good Big 10 record right now. But that would also be worthless to include those 2 years when judging Fran's job. Now if he would have started after Davis or Alford, you could, and should, include his first years because he wouldn't have walked into an extreme situation one way or the other

Ok, forget the first two years. Lick left a mess.

2 NCAA wins in 6 years. Still not much to brag about.

I will give you guys a little credit you come up with creative ways to express your displeasure for Barta. It get's tiring but whatever.

The 3 out of 8 stat is actually generous considering it's giving him credit for making the Tournament when in reality he lost the play in game.

No I don't. I get that you want to paint me into a corner so you can sum up some narrative of how I view the program as being the "wrong way" but really, I am just trying to be fair about it. I am basing things off the most recent seasons because he took over a tough situation. It still doesn't explain the crap we're watching now, even though, you could technically look at it for what it was. This years Jr and Sr. classes were recruited to Iowa when all Fran had to sell was hope. In my opinion, this is really the first step backwards he's taken. Last year was a little more excusable to me because of everything they lost when Woody's class graduated. I also think if Iowa misses the NCAA next season, Iowa should can Fran the second the season finishes. I think the most recent seasons, combined with the current Sophomore, Freshman and next years class should be reason enough to give Fran some leash.

It's ok if you don't agree with me. That's just how I see it.

No I don't. I get that you want to paint me into a corner so you can sum up some narrative of how I view the program as being the "wrong way" but really, I am just trying to be fair about it. I am basing things off the most recent seasons because he took over a tough situation. It still doesn't explain the crap we're watching now, even though, you could technically look at it for what it was. This years Jr and Sr. classes were recruited to Iowa when all Fran had to sell was hope. In my opinion, this is really the first step backwards he's taken. Last year was a little more excusable to me because of everything they lost when Woody's class graduated. I also think if Iowa misses the NCAA next season, Iowa should can Fran the second the season finishes. I think the most recent seasons, combined with the current Sophomore, Freshman and next years class should be reason enough to give Fran some leash.

It's ok if you don't agree with me. That's just how I see it.

What did Jamie Dixon have to sell at TCU when he got there?

Latest posts