In State Recruiting?

Iowa is the main attraction in the state! Now most of the kids are going to grow up wanting to be Hawkeyes, and some are going to grow up wanting to be Cyclones.Now your going to a have a top notch player come around now and then that is going to get some national attention and they are going to want to get out of the state(ala Barnes),so you've got to remember there are more people in Chicago than the whole state of Iowa. The instaters should be easier to recruit because they have wanted to be Hawks all there life,it is esential that we get into the Chicago/Detriot(east coast) area for the majority our recruits and bring in the best instate kids that are there for the taking also. so what I'm saying the in staters will recruit themselves if we have a program that they grow up wanting to be on.....but the out of state kids will make the difference more often than not.

Knowing who Fred Hoiberg is isn't the issue. Fred can be illustrative of an Iowan who succeeded in college and then went on to the NBA. How much this helps him in recruiting talented Iowans is anyone's guess. I presume it will help but to what degree I have no idea.

Same could be said of Ryan Bowen.

Iowa Football makes iowa big in the state Steve always forgets that

Most kids choose their favorite school by the football team or something special done by a BB team like a final 4

IOwa has 2 trips to the NCAA final type game in the last 10 years Orange Bowls

The Hoiberg advantage is being blown way out of proportion by the ISU contingent, including Deace. Iowa will no doubt continue to get its share of the better in-state players. I feel confident that Iowa won't be shut out of the top group of 2012 players, for example, and the top group may end up being even bigger than the names most commonly mentioned in it now. We might not offer anyone in 2011 (haven't yet) and might not get them if we do--but there will be ups and downs in the flow of in-state kids to Iowa City for a variety of reasons.

The good news on that topic is twofold: First, the idea that Hoiberg's NBA background and his native-son status is going to make a huge difference in ISU vs. Iowa recruiting battles is a myth. Second, while McCaffery recognizes the importance of getting some of the best players from Iowa, we will be less dependent on getting the best players from Iowa because of the recruiting reach of this staff.

They aren't aiming to beat ISU, they're aiming to beat MSU and OSU.

The problem is, when's the last time Iowa or Iowa State actually got a top flight talent to stay in Iowa??? Would we be singing an entirely diffferent tune about keeping the in state recruits if Iowa was able to get LaFrentz, Hinrich and Collison? I think we would.

This is exactly what I thought as well - neither team gets these kids and haven't for a long time. I'd be shocked to see Paige, Uthoff, or Staten end up at an in-state school. And Uthoff is a legacy and grew up an ISU fan.

The good news on that topic is twofold: First, the idea that Hoiberg's NBA background and his native-son status is going to make a huge difference in ISU vs. Iowa recruiting battles is a myth. Second, while McCaffery recognizes the importance of getting some of the best players from Iowa, we will be less dependent on getting the best players from Iowa because of the recruiting reach of this staff.

I agree that the Hoiberg's "native-son" advantage is completely overblown. In fact I think the impact will be negligable on the recruiting trail. However I do think it will help somewhat because the fanbase will be completely energized and I bet we average like 13.5k fans per game next year. Recruits will see that.

As to your other point... his first commit is a combo guard from Texas who cited Fred's NBA pedigree. I don't think either staff will struggle when it comes to recruiting reach or contacts.

They aren't aiming to beat ISU, they're aiming to beat MSU and OSU.

Great Point by Freddy here...Fran isn't looking to beat ISU he's looking at beating B10 competition. As long as he does that beating ISU (on the court and off) will take care of itself.

With the staff he's put together (and recruiting contacts they are repped as having) even if he doesn't get the big instate recruits at first, it's possible that he'll be able to build a successful team and then when the Harrison Barnes of the country happen to be from Iowa they will be more willing to come because it's a successful program.

How will either coach recruit the State of Iowa...I think it will depend on how either team does in the next few years, that and whether a player grows up wanting to be a hawk or a clown.

Raveling got Al Lorenzon, a top 5 recruit to come to Iowa. Alford got Glen Worley, at top 10 recruit. A good recruiter can convince in-state talent to stay.

I don't know how this will play out but I do know 2 things:

1) If ISU had Freddy and Iowa still had Lick, Iowa would be hosed.
2) If ISU still had Mac and Iowa had Fran, ISU would be hosed.

I think both programs will be just fine and there will actually be interest. 2 good programs is fun even if you hate the other program.

Raveling got Al Lorenzon, a top 5 recruit to come to Iowa. Alford got Glen Worley, at top 10 recruit. A good recruiter can convince in-state talent to stay.

Lorenzen might have been top 10-20 by the end of his senior year but he wasn't rated top 5 nationally.

I don't recall Worley ever being within shouting distance of the top 10. Unlike Lorenzen he wasn't a McDonald's AA, which generally is the top 25.

I thought when I originally posted question I would get some others who felt like I did. Excellent replies!! Good topic for Steve and Jon to talk about on a future morning show I think. Almost has that feeling of ISU wants the Iowa high school players to say ... hah hah IOWA we gotem!!! Meanwhile IOWA says so what.. we just whooped your butt and we are going to postseason again!

Lets face it gang, neither school can count on enough high quality Iowa HS preps to stock 4 Div 1 programs every year.
Iowa's last really good class was Horner,Bru,Haluska,Jacobsen,Funk,Korver...
after that, there was a real drought..with guys like Carlton Reed, Mike Henderson, Alex Thompson,Clay Vette, ect as the top players...JaBo,and Gatens,and then Barnes were solid,but again,this year ..not so much. 2012 is going to be a stellar year,so the timing is good for Fran to jump in on Paige,Woodbury,Staten ect..but cannot make a living on Iowa recruits year after year...often we need a specific position,and their could be good players in Iowa but no one at that position...

I think Fran will do fine in Iowa...it is the hawkeye state,after all,and as the Big Ten announces expansion, ISU will recede in importance in the big picture.

Lorenzen might have been top 10-20 by the end of his senior year but he wasn't rated top 5 nationally.

I don't recall Worley ever being within shouting distance of the top 10. Unlike Lorenzen he wasn't a McDonald's AA, which generally is the top 25.

You are probably right about Worley, but according to Al's Iowa bio, he was #4 rated by Parade, so I think my point stands:

High School: Prep all-America by Parade, National Coaches, McDonald's, Street and Smith's, Al McGuire's Top Five and USA Today...rated the No. 4 high school player in the country by Parade...first-team all-state twice...Iowa's Mr. Basketball as a senior...averaged 21 points and 10 rebounds in taking Kennedy to state title...player in the Capital Classic and the McDonald's all-star games...played on National AAU team which toured Europe in 1984...academic all-American by national Coaches and Converse...MVP at the B/C and Five Star camps in 1983...averaged 19.4 points and 10.4 rebounds for his career...scored in double figures 53 straight games...career highs of 35 points and 20 rebounds...made commitment to Iowa prior to his junior season.

The problem is, when's the last time Iowa or Iowa State actually got a top flight talent to stay in Iowa??? Would we be singing an entirely diffferent tune about keeping the in state recruits if Iowa was able to get LaFrentz, Hinrich and Collison? I think we would.

I think with Tom Davis being shown the door forced Collison away for sure and possibly Hinrich too. Who knows what would have been?

PS: i played against him in high school (dunked on) but it was pretty much common knowledge in the conference that he would be going to Iowa when he was a junior.

You are probably right about Worley, but according to Al's Iowa bio, he was #4 rated by Parade, so I think my point stands:

High School: Prep all-America by Parade, National Coaches, McDonald's, Street and Smith's, Al McGuire's Top Five and USA Today...rated the No. 4 high school player in the country by Parade...first-team all-state twice...Iowa's Mr. Basketball as a senior...averaged 21 points and 10 rebounds in taking Kennedy to state title...player in the Capital Classic and the McDonald's all-star games...played on National AAU team which toured Europe in 1984...academic all-American by national Coaches and Converse...MVP at the B/C and Five Star camps in 1983...averaged 19.4 points and 10.4 rebounds for his career...scored in double figures 53 straight games...career highs of 35 points and 20 rebounds...made commitment to Iowa prior to his junior season.

I remember seeing Al Lorenzen on the cover of Parade magazine. If I remember right he was in the middle of the other 4 players. I also thought Parade had him as the #1 player in the nation, but I could be wrong on that point.

After listening to Steve and Jon this morning I dont understand the importance of in state recruiting. When? Has either team been really successful with in state recruits? I think with the Hawk coachs we have chances of going where the real talent is and get players that can really play and make us successful faster. Yes we've had Brunner, Horner, Haluska... but alot of states have better every year than that. Lets go get'm where they are... dont settle for pretty good Iowa high school players.

Basically the way I see it, is you have to lock down the good in-state recruits that are Big Ten level talent, but you've got to be able to go out-of-state to fill the rest of your needs. I just don't think there's enough talent in the state to consistently compete in a major conference year after year without going out of state for some talent as well.

Latest posts