In State Recruiting?

Basically the way I see it, is you have to lock down the good in-state recruits that are Big Ten level talent, but you've got to be able to go out-of-state to fill the rest of your needs. I just don't think there's enough talent in the state to consistently compete in a major conference year after year without going out of state for some talent as well.

I don't think anyone would argue with that. The problem is people think locking up the state's best talent, even if that talent is not B10 worthy, is important. that's where you get into trouble.

I remember seeing Al Lorenzen on the cover of Parade magazine. If I remember right he was in the middle of the other 4 players. I also thought Parade had him as the #1 player in the nation, but I could be wrong on that point.

During and immediately after the Summer Al might have been considered top 5 or even #1 by some evaluators. He had a great, great Summer and that's where the Valilla Gorilla thing came from. By the end of his senior year I think some of that had faded, but he was still a McD A-A and that was and still is a very big deal.

As for Parade, before the recruiting "industry" blew up in the mid-80's and 90's, being a Parade A-A was really something because there wasn't that much else in terms of national recognition of high school recruits. Over time Parade lost a lot of juice because they had some anomalous inclusions in their list and they were just eclipsed by the explosion of publications focusing on recruiting ratings. Not saying Al was an anomalous inclusion as a Parade A-A--he just wasn't as good in college as his HS rating suggested. I wonder what happened there. Some say he was affected by pressure from his Dad.

I don't think anyone would argue with that. The problem is people think locking up the state's best talent, even if that talent is not B10 worthy, is important. that's where you get into trouble.

I agree. Recruiting Iowans just for the sake of recruiting Iowans, regardless of talent-level, isn't going to get it done. If we have a roster without a single Iowan on it, just as long as they are Big 10 talent, then so be it. That doesn't bother me in the least. Wherever we can get the best players is where I think we should recruit.

If the in-state talent is Grade-A, D-1, Big12/Big10 level talent, you have to nail down your borders and grab them. Even if those players wind up being contributing, career back-ups instead of starters, because you have better out of state guys ahead of them on the depth chart. But, if they're players that aren't going to help you, you shouldn't grab them just because they're "in-state" guys and sentimental favorites.

I always like seeing Iowa kids playing for the Hawks. Kids who grew up dreaming of wearing the Iowa uniform. But, there are only so many of them that have the skill set the team needs.

The bottom line is you cannot fill a competitive team with just players from Iowa. However, it is important that you go after the one or two a year that really can play at a Big Ten level. The fans and HS/AAU coaches like that. Then, when the once every generation stud comes along (like Barnes) you have a fighting chance at keeping him in state. Of course, having a winning program helps quite a bit in that regard.

Latest posts