In any other P5 program…

Based on performance BF would be replaced anywhere else. Confident of that. You can not right the ship at this point calling a timeout and then running the FB up the middle. Put in any mobile qb we have because the O line is not good enough this year. Start Johnson at Wr. That’s a no brainer. Double the reps of Bruce. Use what speed we have and quicken the pace. Flank Goodson out and get him the ball that way. We can still win the west BUT only if coaches take responsibility for the failures and do something about it. We will lose recruits and current players when players think they are better than those who are ahead of them but don’t get the chance to prove it. We CAN win the next four games BUT do we have the courage to make changes?? As always Go hawks

You know how many times I have thought about that coming from a humble working class family.

I think I’ve earned the right to be a little critical of some millionaire who appears to gotten comfortable and lax at their profession.

I cut out some of your reply just to save some space. And I dont begrudge Kirk his salary because it is the going rate and therefore he earns it. But the point I was trying to make is why at such a major, good football program does he have to hire his son to a big contract when he had no experience and when it looks like he isnt getting the job done.

Brian needs to go OC for someone like Purdue's Brohm and learn more first.

Its not what you know, its who you know.

KF: "You want your nephew to punt at Iowa? You bet. Send him here and he will be our punter."

End of the day Kirk makes the decisions about his staff. Kirk is not going to be fired so it's really in Brian's ballcourt. Will Brian try to prove himself somewhere else to save face? I hope so, I haven't listened to the Washed Up Walk-Ons interview with Brian, but from what I've heard he is well aware of the criticism he is getting. These guys do a great podcast.

Based on performance BF would be replaced anywhere else. Confident of that. You can not right the ship at this point calling a timeout and then running the FB up the middle. Put in any mobile qb we have because the O line is not good enough this year. Start Johnson at Wr. That’s a no brainer. Double the reps of Bruce. Use what speed we have and quicken the pace. Flank Goodson out and get him the ball that way. We can still win the west BUT only if coaches take responsibility for the failures and do something about it. We will lose recruits and current players when players think they are better than those who are ahead of them but don’t get the chance to prove it. We CAN win the next four games BUT do we have the courage to make changes?? As always Go hawks
Excellent comment and strategy. Sounds like a plan.

Yes, wholesale changes to our offensive scheme 8 games into the season, what could go wrong?

It's always a special moment when 2 big brain football geniuses find each other on HN.

Some coaches change things when what they are doing isn't working. It has been so long since we have seen anything changed here that we have grown to accept that it is not possible. I have often wondered what the coaches do in practice if they are not changing or trying new things..Going through the motions?

I’m glad you guys wanting KF and BF fired aren’t going to get your way, because when if it happens, we’re nebraska 2.0.

And tell me all you want that it won’t end up that way…that’s the same thing full-of-themselves husker fans said.

Iowa, regardless of what you think, is not a marquee destination and we are not going to get an elite coach to come here. What we are going to get, is a coach with a middling resume that we hope is elite. Just like everyone hoped Scott Frost and PJ Fleck and Mike Riley were elite. And just like the chances of Brian getting a 1st down with a 2 yd out route on 3rd and 8, so are the chances of lucking into a good coach, only much worse odds.

You people are sounding EXACTLY like nebraska fans when they fired Solich and Pelini. Absolutely identical. You think Iowa is a program that should demand a perennial top 10 coaching staff, when in reality the only way we fell into the meager success we have is by pure luck, twice in a row.

Careful what you wish for, Rubes. Because if you actually got it we just threw away all of the culture and attitude that Hayden Fry worked for.

It does not make alot of sense that we can field a good D every year and a good offense only once every 5. I'd say at Iowa, we can do better without turning over the entire apple cart. It's an obvious fault that any business or any sports program would work on fixing, their weakness. I don't think doing nothing is a good response.

Yes, wholesale changes to our offensive scheme 8 games into the season, what could go wrong?

It's always a special moment when 2 big brain football geniuses find each other on HN.
Damn. Wish I had a “nailed it” emoji to reply to your post.

I don't want anyone fired, but I also want Iowa to improve. Offensive line needs all hands on deck. Brian or Kirk need to be hands on with this project and if Iowa needs to lean on O'keefe to put together the game plans so be it. Even if we are 8 games into the season, the offensive line needs all the help from the coaches it can get.

I’m glad you guys wanting KF and BF fired aren’t going to get your way, because when if it happens, we’re nebraska 2.0.

And tell me all you want that it won’t end up that way…that’s the same thing full-of-themselves husker fans said.

Iowa, regardless of what you think, is not a marquee destination and we are not going to get an elite coach to come here. What we are going to get, is a coach with a middling resume that we hope is elite. Just like everyone hoped Scott Frost and PJ Fleck and Mike Riley were elite. And just like the chances of Brian getting a 1st down with a 2 yd out route on 3rd and 8, so are the chances of lucking into a good coach, only much worse odds.

You people are sounding EXACTLY like nebraska fans when they fired Solich and Pelini. Absolutely identical. You think Iowa is a program that should demand a perennial top 10 coaching staff, when in reality the only way we fell into the meager success we have is by pure luck, twice in a row.

Careful what you wish for, Rubes. Because if you actually got it we just threw away all of the culture and attitude that Hayden Fry worked for.
Since when is replacing an offensive coordinator considered a "wholesale change"?
What do you suppose can get worse with the current offense? Iowa made a mistake when they hired a coach that had no play calling or coordinator experience. No imagination or innovation, just consistently predictable in the worst way. Iowa could score at least seven points a game with the players calling the plays..

Since when is replacing an offensive coordinator considered a "wholesale change"?
What do you suppose can get worse with the current offense? Iowa made a mistake when they hired a coach that had no play calling or coordinator experience. No imagination or innovation, just consistently predictable in the worst way. Iowa could score at least seven points a game with the players calling the plays..
The only way you're going to get a different OC is if we had a new HC. Kirk is not going to demote his kid.

And a new HC means new everyone. P5 head coaches come in and bring an entirely new staff with them. We have had one culture for 42 years here at Iowa, and that's the reason for what success we've had. You guys wishing for a new coaching staff are going to really be putting your feet in your mouths when it happens and we enter the nebraskan death spiral. Write it down.

Contrary to what you might think, Iowa is not a marquee program. It just isn't. Any head coach you get here is going to be unproven just like Kirk was, and like I've said a million times before, for every Nick Saban out there, there are a million Mike Rileys. How the hell do you think teams like nebraska (and it's not just nebraska) got in the position they're in? They got in those positions because their administration and fan base thought their program was all that and a bag of chips when it wasn't. They played musical coaches because 9 wins wasn't good enough. And that musical coaches thing is a merry-go-round that you can't get off of. You're trying to hit one number on a thousand-sided die, and people are too stupid to realize how infinitesimally small the odds are of finding a really, really good coach, and even smaller chances of getting a good coach who will stay after they have success.

The argument, "Well, it can't get any worse, so why not change something?" is the stupidest fucking thing to ever come out of someone's mouth. Total ignorance and hubris. Husker fans thought there was no way it could get worse than 9 wins for their program, because, "this is nebraska." They ignorantly thought that they'd be able to demand the best of the best coaches, and they didn't have to settle for 8-9 wins a year. Ask yourself this...would you be willing to change places with that dumpster fire in Lincoln? Because if we start making coaches walk the plank the odds are thousands to one that we find a staff better than the one we have now.

If someone offered you to bet your life savings and house on 1000:1 odds for 10 million bucks would you do it?

It does not make alot of sense that we can field a good D every year and a good offense only once every 5. I'd say at Iowa, we can do better without turning over the entire apple cart. It's an obvious fault that any business or any sports program would work on fixing, their weakness. I don't think doing nothing is a good response.

I agree with this, but how do you fix the offense? We can field a good defense every year because that is Iowa's identity. Kid's see what we do defensively year in and year out and want to be part of it.

How do we bring in elite talent offensively when our play style is about managing the clock and minimizing turnovers. How do you bring in the best receivers in the country when we expect them to spend as much time blocking as running routes or bring in the top QB's in the country when top of the line receivers are few and far between. It's not a shot at the talent we get, but rather who we are and who these players we bring in truly want to be. Whether we like it or not the players that want to come here fit a mold and unfortunately that mold has nothing to do with being or becoming an offensive juggernaut. Occasionally we may get a class or back to back classes where we hit on all cylinders and bring in some weapons that develop into a decent offense, but were simply not bringing in the same talent level on the offensive side of the ball as we are defensively and some of that has to do with scheme and coaching.

IMO it's no different then asking why our basketball teams tend to score at will but struggle when it comes to making stops. Both teams have an identity and have made internal sacrifices with regards to schematics and recruiting preferences to maintain that identity.

In any other P5 program…​

Petras would be pulled to give the back up a chance.
#1 Georgia plays two QB's.
Oklahoma was undefeated but pulled a Heisman candidate because he wasn't getting the job done.
Clemson sat 5 star Uiagalelei for performance.

We continue to plod on with mediocre and accept losses out of fear.
They all had 4 or 5 star qbs of the really highly rated variety as backups too. I'm not giving an excuse to Iowa for not doing it just pointing out their situations to ours.

Having a QB playing as poorly as Petras has most of the year the 2nd stringer should be considered. For ours to not be says he's not even close. To me that is also troubling. How could our 2nd string qb that's in yr 3 in the program be so bad that he couldn't match what Petras has done?

I thought after the up and down yr last yr Petras had that he'd be on a short leash. I figured with a yr under his belt a full spring and fall camp that if he didn't hit the ground running this yr then the other guys should get a shot. Well till the last 2 games his poor play was brushed aside because they'd been winning. Unlike those other programs you mentioned winning is enough to do that here. At those schools you mentioned style points and how you win matter. Iowa is fine winning ugly.

Well now that we've lost a couple and looked terrible doing it the rubber is meeting the road I for one am surprised that Petras still has the job. The only reason the staff can give to it is that they think so poorly of the Oline that they think who's at QB wouldn't matter anyway so don't rock the boat. But they can't publicly admit to any of that either so these next few weeks will be interesting..

Right, Iowa football is not a top coaching spot but there are not that many top coaching spots but it is just a notch below because of top salary, commitments (Fry and Kirk for 42 years), getting by when averaging 8.5 wins a year, etc. Fry was a well thought of coach at SMU and then at N Texas so he was a known commodity with a SWC title and Cotton Bowl appearance.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach On this list Kirk has dropped way down to 18th on the salary list.

Getting your best choice of a next coach is many times about timing and luck as much as being marquee. Would Luke Fickell want to comeback to the Big 10? I think he would and I thought he did well with all the issues at OSU and now at Cincy (but his Cincy program could rip thru the Big 12).

Contrary to what you might think, Iowa is not a marquee program. It just isn't. Any head coach you get here is going to be unproven just like Kirk was, and like I've said a million times before, for every Nick Saban out there, there are a million Mike Rileys.

So much can be said to reply to your statements above. 1. you say Iowa is not a marquee program and it is not even if a definition of a marquee program is mostly Top 10 in winning and recruiting. Iowa is not that. But dont underestimate why these coaches just want a chance to coach in the Big 10, they are aggressive and competitive and want the challenge and money. And marquee can be winning 10 games a year which some coaches think they could do at Iowa. So your logic of not a marquee program would prove we cant attract a known, good coach but I disagree.

Do you think Luke Fickell is unproven? Just wondering???? I dont!!! Born and raised in Ohio, played for OSU, from Big Ten country and the conference, he could almost double his salary at Iowa and get back into the Big 10 to try and win titles in the 2nd toughest conf, and a close to first best conference. He is a winning coach, proven over the short term.

Hell, Hayden Fry was very proven with 18 years of top coaching but he came to Iowa (maybe money and a change was part of it but I also think of the challenge of the Big 10 and playing in the huge stadiums is a big allure).

I always wondered if Chris Petersen would have come to Iowa around 2012 when he went to Washington from Boise St.

You can win at Iowa and it is proven over the last 42 years. Great facilities and fans and support.

I am not sure what other coaches are out there that might be somewhat known and proven like Fickell, but again not many, so sometimes you have to have the right timing to get someone to Iowa.