In any other P5 program…

Fry. They're already almost last in the FBS. You can't get worse.

I'm with you on coaching moves usually sucking, but you can't keep putting out 100+ ranked offense after another in a 130 team league. What's the worst that can happen, you drop from 110 to 123?
Exactly!!!! Oh my how will we look if we don’t win our seven games a year and only win 5 or 6. WTF??? I don’t give a damn as long as we at least try. Not trying is for losers !

In any other P5 program…​

Petras would be pulled to give the back up a chance.
#1 Georgia plays two QB's.
Oklahoma was undefeated but pulled a Heisman candidate because he wasn't getting the job done.
Clemson sat 5 star Uiagalelei for performance.

We continue to plod on with mediocre and accept losses out of fear.
I don't mean to pick on you personally but, again, the gap between reality and the Iowa football program living in some of your heads might as well be the Grand Canyon.

Iowa has a proud history, but it's a story of a plucky program that occasionally punches above its weight. Save for a brief 3-4 season span under Evy in the late 50s, early 60s, this program has never been "elite".

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your team, but some of you inflate this program's stature to the point of delusion.

Some data to consider:

And, by the way, speaking of delusion, Iowa claiming FIVE national championships is an absolute joke.

Don't think for a second Iowa is the type of program that can just start flinging shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. We have a 120+ season history of needing to do things the hard way. If you tuned into 2021 expecting different, I'm sorry but that's on you.

The last 2 games have been bitter pills to swallow, but if you think, in the big picture, dropping those two games was somehow beneath us as a program, you're nuts.

Or we could be nebraska. Much more likely when you start doing that.
I can't believe you are defending Brian Ferentz as an offensive coordinator. I have no idea how his father sleeps at night knowing his son is among the very worst coordinators in the country, makes $800,000 a year, and has the job only because his father is coach. if I were in that situation, I would say "sorry, son, this is not working, we have to make a change." Our offense is the laughing stock of the country.

I don't mean to pick on you personally but, again, the gap between reality and the Iowa football program living in some of your heads might as well be the Grand Canyon.

Iowa has a proud history, but it's a story of a plucky program that occasionally punches above its weight. Save for a brief 3-4 season span under Evy in the late 50s, early 60s, this program has never been "elite".

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your team, but some of you inflate this program's stature to the point of delusion.

Some data to consider:

And, by the way, speaking of delusion, Iowa claiming FIVE national championships is an absolute joke.

Don't think for a second Iowa is the type of program that can just start flinging shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. We have a 120+ season history of needing to do things the hard way. If you tuned into 2021 expecting different, I'm sorry but that's on you.

The last 2 games have been bitter pills to swallow, but if you think, in the big picture, dropping those two games was somehow beneath us as a program, you're nuts.
No idea what your comments have to do with my post.

I don't think we should fire Kirk. This is fine. The beginning of the season made it look like this team was ahead of schedule, and I bought in.

But this is where I had this team to start the year, 9 - 3, just different losses in a differ Next year is where I thought it was go time, even with Mich and OSU on the schedule. The line gets bigger, and we keep a lot.

Figure next year could be 10 - 2, but a trip to Indy.

The question is can the line improve enough?
So, next year will the OL give Petras the 8 seconds he needs?

Some data to consider:

No one in our division is elite, yet we can’t manage to win the division. Being elite has nothing to do with it. It’s the fat cat bitches we have to pay five million dollars to endlessly produce third place finishes year after year after year in our own non elite division. Some fans have been elite excuse makers. The should pack their bags and go over to Ames where your dumb ass belongs.

No idea what your comments have to do with my post.
I think it was your apples to oranges comparisons with these other programs that are swapping players in and out with success. They are much better than us historically and, as a consequence, consistently pull better talent.

We're looking at pretty close to our best 22 on the field, I suspect. It's been good enough for 6-2, but there are some holes. Holes that would be filled nicely if we were able to pull better talent.

You rubes want to fire a 6-2 staff midseason, lol.

You’re the same type of folks who would’ve fired Solich and Pelini when they were winning. Hilarious :)
I'm not for firing anyone. This is expected for most of seasoned fans. The system is basic x and O's KF has always been a we're going to do what we do and it's up to the other team to beat us and it happens 4-5 times a year to mediocre teams. Iowa football is the Christmas carol. Ghost of future, present and past. It is what it is. Anybody wanting shit loads of changes better pick a new team. When we are winning Kirk is great. When we're losing Kirk sucks.Got news for you fellas one team wins and one will lose. Don't believe look at the scores of the other games today!

No one in our division is elite, yet we can’t manage to win the division. Being elite has nothing to do with it. It’s the fat cat bitches we have to pay five million dollars to endlessly produce third place finishes year after year after year in our own non elite division. Some fans have been elite excuse makers. The should pack their bags and go over to Ames where your dumb ass belongs.
Maybe we'd get lucky and land a program changing coach that took us to the next level. It's happened once in 120 years, albeit in a much different era. So, could happen but, more than likely, you'd be seeing a product on the field that would make the KF era look like the good old days.

I realize none of us has a crystal ball, so ultimately we've got to agree to disagree but, as someone who's made a semi-serious study of this program's history, I have a feeling I'm closer to being right than the "KF is the problem" crew.

We've got an awesome, tradition laden program identity. I'm proud of it, I think we all are. But compared to the Georgias, Oklahomas, and even Clemsons of the world, we're a pesky gnat. We look like world beaters compared to ISU but (a) ISU is historically one of the worst P5 programs ever (that's not smack talk, it's facts) and (b) no one gives a rat's ass outside the state of Iowa.

It's not the NFL where every team has got the same cap rules. In college, you better either have amazing tradition, a huge population base or, ideally, both. Iowa has neither.

I think you can choose to adjust your expectations and enjoy what we've got, or commit to spending 40% (minimum) of your fall Saturdays in an indignant, impotent rage. There was a point in my life where I was dangerously close to the latter, but I've thankfully found both life perspective and a more realistic assessment of our program history.

Maybe we'd get lucky and land a program changing coach that took us to the next level. It's happened once in 120 years, albeit in a much different era. So, could happen but, more than likely, you'd be seeing a product on the field that would make the KF era look like the good old days.

I realize none of us has a crystal ball, so ultimately we've got to agree to disagree but, as someone who's made a semi-serious study of this program's history, I have a feeling I'm closer to being right than the "KF is the problem" crew.

We've got an awesome, tradition laden program identity. I'm proud of it, I think we all are. But compared to the Georgias, Oklahomas, and even Clemsons of the world, we're a pesky gnat. We look like world beaters compared to ISU but (a) ISU is historically one of the worst P5 programs ever (that's not smack talk, it's facts) and (b) no one gives a rat's ass outside the state of Iowa.

It's not the NFL where every team has got the same cap rules. In college, you better either have amazing tradition, a huge population base or, ideally, both. Iowa has neither.

I think you can choose to adjust your expectations and enjoy what we've got, or commit to spending 40% (minimum) of your fall Saturdays in an indignant, impotent rage. There was a point in my life where I was dangerously close to the latter, but I've thankfully found both life perspective and a more realistic assessment of our program history.
Sorry if I have been testy to you and any other posters. In fact some are probably wondering what’s gotten into me. Frustrating that it seems like there is always a short coming in some aspect of our game that just keeps us short of winning the division.

It’s true that our division doesn’t have an Ohio State in it. Considering that it is only fair that we do better than what we have been doing. If we were in the East with Ohio State, Michigan, MSU, and Penn State then that would be a little bit more understandable.

Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue, has been Nebraska.

Come on now? We should be able to win the division more than what we have been doing. That’s what gets me so upset.

I know we are not Ohio State but neither is Wisconsin.

Sorry if I have been testy to you and any other posters. In fact some are probably wondering what’s gotten into me. Frustrating that it seems like there is always a short coming in some aspect of our game that just keeps us short of winning the division.

It’s true that our division doesn’t have an Ohio State in it. Considering that it is only fair that we do better than what we have been doing. If we were in the East with Ohio State, Michigan, MSU, and Penn State then that would be a little bit more understandable.

Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue, has been Nebraska.

Come on now? We should be able to win the division more than what we have been doing. That’s what gets me so upset.

I know we are not Ohio State but neither is Wisconsin.
It's also looking like this Big Ten may just have the most parity it has ever had. Look at the Penn State game right now. Look at what Nebraska did to Michigan in that loss.

Everything is messy this year.

Because a wholesale change in the offensive coaching staff usually works, right?

Show me any staff refresh that’s worked and I’ll show you 20 that made it worse.

I'm down here in Mizzou-land.
They dusted through Pinkel and then got all excited about Odom. And when he didn't win them a national championship in 3 years the heat turned up to send him packing.

I'm like..."ok....you do that. And in 3 or 4 more years, yer gonna be calling for his replacement's head." Enter Drinkowitz. Guess what? It's only been two, really, and they're calling for his head.

Not gonna lie. I was not a happy camper during KF's first few years.

But there's something to be said about continuity. Iowa has had it for what...40 years now? And I'll take Iowa football over Mizzou any day. At least over those 40 years.

I'd take them over Ohio State too. Cause OSU sucks. Prolly not Alabama/Auburn/Oklahoma though. That would be fun.

Our defense has played championship football all season. Today Wisconsin had 270 yards on 70 plays (less than 4 yards per play).

My solutions:

1. Keegan Johnson needs 50 snaps a game.
2. Williams needs to be elevated over IKM
3. More two step drops for Petras and give Padilla more chances

Latest posts