I'm sorry - blow me up if you want to....

Bull crap, you even admitted once to being a fan of another basketball team I forget who (Florida State comes to mind). We all know you root for Northwestern in football.

You better wake Cliche up to help support you because no one else is buying what you are selling.

You're trying so hard to not get trolled that you are getting trolled. I feel like this message board is on par with ChristianHealthyMomsNation.com in terms of message board panache and know-how.

You're trying so hard to not get trolled that you are getting trolled. I feel like this message board is on par with ChristianHealthyMomsNation.com in terms of message board panache and know-how.

Hey cliche, you are alive! Where you been hiding anyway? To much excitement the past 2 days for you to attempt to "balance out" the fandom that has been going on around here?

I agree any time watching the Hawkeyes win is fun but I would take the NCAA tourney 10 times out of 10 over NIT.

Just curious has a strong NIT run by a young team ever translated into NCAA success the following year? Based on past 5 yrs I'd say no. Hopefully we can reverse the trend.

2011 Wich St. , slightly better record lost in 1st rd of NCAA
2012 Stanford, 2013 poop sandwich
2010 Dayton 25-12, 2011 22-14
2009 Penn St 27-11, 2010 11-20
2008 OSU 24-13, 2009 22-11 lost in 1st rd NCAA

**Added note how thrilled was the South Carolina fanbase after winning btb NIT championships in 2005, 2006**

Did those teams have a lot of returning starters? If not, the comparisons are pretty pointless.

Look Iowa City is in desprete need of some type of new hardware. This year nothing would be greater then getting that NIT champion trophy!

Next year is another story, but right now they are not in the NCAA they are in the NIT and the next best thing to going to the NCAA is winning the NIT outright.

I want us to win the whole damn thing so I can hear all the fatty pundits talk about how Iowa should have been in the NCAA tourney!

We're giving up two minutes of fame (NCAA appearance) for a few seasons worth of memorable-minutes as this team grows, develops and transitions into something special.

Quite the fair trade-off I'd say.

Cant do all the research for you. I was more just asking the question hoping someone had a good example. The past 5 have NIT champions have not improved the following season but I didnt delve into the returning starters piece.

Did those teams have a lot of returning starters? If not, the comparisons are pretty pointless.

We're giving up two minutes of fame (NCAA appearance) for a few seasons worth of memorable-minutes as this team grows, develops and transitions into something special.

Quite the fair trade-off I'd say.

No. It's a nice consolation for a perceived NCAA "snub". It is NOT a "fair trade-off".

I certainly enjoy seeing a run like this, but I still would take an NCAA bid, even as a 16-seed, every single time.

Cant do all the research for you. I was more just asking the question hoping someone had a good example. The past 5 have NIT champions have not improved the following season but I didnt delve into the returning starters piece.

West Virginia won the NIT in Beilin's final season there, went to the Sweet 16 the following year and the final four two years after that. There's one example.

An NIT run is like dating a fat girl or riding a moped - they're all fun until your friends see you on one. I'm glad the team has beaten two no name teams at home and finally got a decent road win, I'm glad they are going to the Garden, but my level of glad on a scale of 1-10 is like a 2 and when I have to watch all the multiple Indiana, Michigan, MSU and OSU fans I work with strutting around like king $h!t bince their teams actually made decent runs in the tourney that people care about, I'm not going to go around bragging about a consolation prize.

Ha ha Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...

National Invitation Tournament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sans MSU, teams you mentioned all have a storied NIT history. No shame in that.

And look at the past 3-5 years specifically....most of those names have been in the NCAA recently, including this year.

I will give you some credit by saying when I see how S. Carolina (Neil Diamond...whoa whoa whoa) won it twice in a row, my first sense was that of "Huh, OK" (rather than "Wow, that's something").

Party on brutha.

Just my two cents, but what I feel we gain from the NIT more than anything is that our season is still going and they're still practicing and playing games. It's practice time and game time to help get the players ready for an NCAA tourny bid next year. Just like football, no one's thrilled to play in a meaningless bowl game but it's an extension of the season and more practice time.

We all get the fact that the NIT is not the Big Dance, and honestly no one is disputing that. The fact is its the post season and they're still playing for something. I'd be willing to bet that for the teams that made the dance and lost the first round that the start of their offseason has been less productive then those of any team that is still playing regardless of what tournament it is.

As long as it's been since we've been dancing and the way the Lick era treated us, I'm just happy to see this team at MSG for the NIT semis. The way some of the posters act you'd think they'd of been happier and more satisfied if we wouldn't have played in any post season tourny and the season would have just ended after the conference tourny.

Who can forget that memorable run to NYC by the Mountaineers? (smirk)

You can say this about any first or second round loss in the NCAA tournament too though, right? I mean unless you win a title or go to a final four, people outside your fan base generally aren't going to remember what you did a few years ago.

West Virginia won the NIT in Beilin's final season there, went to the Sweet 16 the following year and the final four two years after that. There's one example.

Minnesota went to the NIT final last year.....didn't really help a whole lot. Penn. St. won it in '09, well ummm, they are still Penn. St.

No. It's a nice consolation for a perceived NCAA "snub". It is NOT a "fair trade-off".

I certainly enjoy seeing a run like this, but I still would take an NCAA bid, even as a 16-seed, every single time.
\

Wrong, oh myoptic-head-in-the-sand-Robert

This team didn't need an NCAA one-and-done for future development.

What it needed is what is happening.

#endofdiscussion

Not many examples of this because usually the NIT winner ends up being a veteran team that should have made the NCAA tournament in the first place. But the best example of a program that won the NIT and used it as a spring board to the NCAA is Memphis. Calipari was in a similar situation as Fran taking over a former successful program that was down, he barely got them into the NIT in 2000/01, then won the NIT in 2001/02, and then spring boarding into the NCAA where they made some nice runs.

Latest posts