I'm sorry - blow me up if you want to....

What the **** are you arguing here? It's entirely possibly for one to want to go to the NCAA but still enjoy the NIT run.

An NIT run is like dating a fat girl or riding a moped - they're all fun until your friends see you on one. I'm glad the team has beaten two no name teams at home and finally got a decent road win, I'm glad they are going to the Garden, but my level of glad on a scale of 1-10 is like a 2 and when I have to watch all the multiple Indiana, Michigan, MSU and OSU fans I work with strutting around like king $h!t bince their teams actually made decent runs in the tourney that people care about, I'm not going to go around bragging about a consolation prize.

An NIT run is like dating a fat girl or riding a moped - they're all fun until your friends see you on one. I'm glad the team has beaten two no name teams at home and finally got a decent road win, I'm glad they are going to the Garden, but my level of glad on a scale of 1-10 is like a 2 and when I have to watch all the multiple Indiana, Michigan, MSU and OSU fans I work with strutting around like king $h!t bince their teams actually made decent runs in the tourney that people care about, I'm not going to go around bragging about a consolation prize.

Well you should be used to that, you've had absolutely nothing to brag about to those guys since 2001. Go find some Northwestern fans and troll them about our NIT success if it makes you feel better.

You never answered my question.

Yeah, because your question is moronic. I'm a die hard Hawk fan. Sorry if my panties don't get as moist as yours over an NIT run, I actually remember when we had a decent basketball program. We're back on that path, but beating 2 crap teams at home and having one good shooting night on the road just doesn't get my enjoyment meter buzzing like yours.

Well you should be used to that, you've had absolutely nothing to brag about to those guys since 2001. Go find some Northwestern fans and troll them about our NIT success if it makes you feel better.

No, we had a decent football team once and then O'Keefe left.

I am loving this NIT run as well, but if Iowa makes the NIT again next year=BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. There is no reason why this group should not make the NCAA tourney next year. In the meantime, I will truly enjoy this run.

Yeah, because your question is moronic. I'm a die hard Hawk fan. Sorry if my panties don't get as moist as yours over an NIT run, I actually remember when we had a decent basketball program. We're back on that path, but beating 2 crap teams at home and having one good shooting night on the road just doesn't get my enjoyment meter buzzing like yours.

U mad bro?

Would you say from a players persepective now not a fans would you rather be in the Hawks shoes now or Wiskys. To be winning and going on a run or being a higher seed in the big dance and getting bounced right away? As fans I think the majority would clamor for the big dance. As a player... I think they like to continue playing and winning rather then showing up to the big show and going home right away. Just my 2 cents I could be wrong.

Yep, and refuses to admit it. I have never understood why Jon keeps him around.

Cliche should be on any minute to basically echo everything ok4p is saying.

See my post above. Sorry if I can't get as excited as you about a deep run in a tournament no one cares about.

No, we had a decent football team once and then O'Keefe left.

We've never even been to a Rose Bowl this century, even Northwestern and Purdue have been there more recently than us. We got stuck in the ****** Orange Bowl two times in a decade and had to play a crappy GT team in one of those trips, I don't think that's impressing your OSU and Michigan friends.

Would you say from a players persepective now not a fans would you rather be in the Hawks shoes now or Wiskys. To be winning and going on a run or being a higher seed in the big dance and getting bounced right away? As fans I think the majority would clamor for the big dance. As a player... I think they like to continue playing and winning rather then showing up to the big show and going home right away. Just my 2 cents I could be wrong.

I suspect players from all 52 teams who got bounced thus far would have taken the NCAA run, the exposure on TV of games people actually watched, the outside chance going in that they were going to be this year's Cinderella, etc. over making the NIT Final Four. When they had those cameras on the teams who didn't get selected for the real tournament, you didn't see a lot of joyous celebrations over the forthcoming high NIT seed.

Bull crap, you even admitted once to being a fan of another basketball team I forget who (Florida State comes to mind). We all know you root for Northwestern in football.

You better wake Cliche up to help support you because no one else is buying what you are selling.

Here's how I look at it.....

If the choice is a guaranteed one and done in this year's tourney or a run to Madison Square Garden in the NIT, I would take the NIT run simply because of the youth on this team and their inability to win away from Carver. I would feel differently if we were a senior dominated team as the extra games wouldn't really mean squat.

On the other hand, since nothing is "guaranteed", I would still rather take my chances in the NCAAs as a 12 or 13 seed and try to pull a few upsets.

Fine, but there's no guarantee going in and every 4 or 5 seed save for VCU and maybe 'Cuse looked pretty dang beatable in the first round by this Iowa squad. I'd have rather taken that chance than even getting a guaranteed NIT Final Four.

Bull crap, you even admitted once to being a fan of another basketball team I forget who (Florida State comes to mind). We all know you root for Northwestern in football.

You better wake Cliche up to help support you because no one else is buying what you are selling.

No dude, I am a fan of Duke and Kansas basketball and Notre Dame and Alabama football.

I really enjoy the NIT Run as well.

-But- (always a but)

Iowa was so close to making the dance and some would still argue should have made it in. So I'm not afraid to say this. The way Iowa is playing right now and has been since prior to the BTT, it isn't a stretch to think that if given a nice draw in the NCAA we could be playing tonight or tomorrow in a Sweet 16 matchup?

No dude, I am a fan of Duke and Kansas basketball and Notre Dame and Alabama football.

images

I agree any time watching the Hawkeyes win is fun but I would take the NCAA tourney 10 times out of 10 over NIT.

Just curious has a strong NIT run by a young team ever translated into NCAA success the following year? Based on past 5 yrs I'd say no. Hopefully we can reverse the trend.

2011 Wich St. , slightly better record lost in 1st rd of NCAA
2012 Stanford, 2013 poop sandwich
2010 Dayton 25-12, 2011 22-14
2009 Penn St 27-11, 2010 11-20
2008 OSU 24-13, 2009 22-11 lost in 1st rd NCAA

**Added note how thrilled was the South Carolina fanbase after winning btb NIT championships in 2005, 2006**

Fine, but there's no guarantee going in and every 4 or 5 seed save for VCU and maybe 'Cuse looked pretty dang beatable in the first round by this Iowa squad. I'd have rather taken that chance than even getting a guaranteed NIT Final Four.

I think we're essentially saying the same thing.

The gist of the OP was he would rather take an NIT run than a guaranteed one and done in the NCAA this year. My comment was simply that if you know ahead of time that you'd be one and done vs a Final Four NIT run, that with this year's squad and their make-up, I would have selected the NIT run. So if those are my two choices....one and done in NCAA or Final Four NIT, I take the latter.

But since nothing is guaranteed, I always want to take my chances in the NCAA. Even as a 13 seed, we could have beaten any of the 4 seeds and any of the 5 seeds.

Latest posts