I'm Pumped about Iowa BB

c&g...what is the over/under on how many games before lucious makes the team implode?

i will give you that isu will be favored to win this yr...and they should be, but i wouldnt sleep on iowa and think it is guaranteed. i am on the side that thinks iowa will start a little slow because of youth but if they dont young kids can sometimes be naive enough to beat teams they arent supposed to just because they are naive.

The upside with this team is unbelievable. The keys for me are this:

1. Gessel must remain healthy and perform as everyone projects him to. Marble and Clemons (and even JO) can provide enough back-up minutes.

2. May is a huge wild card. He provided little to nothing last year and yet could come back and be THE lock-down defender at 2 or even 3 positions. Along with some leadership and if his offense comes around just a bit.. he relaxes... stays healthy, maybe even 10 points a game...whoaa now.

3. Overall defense that includes Woody coming in and the big O having developed.. a little Mel here and there....interior D with a little shot blocking goes along waaaaay.

4. 3 point shooting. JO is really key, McCabe has improved, as has Dev Marble, in other words lots of possibilities to spread the court with really decent 35% plus shooters.

That be it. If Iowa can improve their defense inside and out... just a couple of baskets a game... shoot a bit better and play with the fire and desire of a Hawkeye...

The soaring birds over the NCAA playing fields will be like no other.

On the other hand... you tell me what may go wrong.

The same number of games before White made ISU implode last year.

white and lucious are 2 different types of people. one was kicked off because of his attitude and how he ruined team unity...and that wasnt white. lucious thinks he is #1 on the team and he obviously isnt. he wont like deferring to clyburn. if fred can keep him from ruining team unity than great for him and isu...but he is a cancer. if izzo cant handle someone i would be wary of them.

When you are a fan of a team like Iowa State, who has only won 13 NCAA Tournament games in their entire history... winning 1 in any season is considered not imploding and dominant!

I have never been to an Iowa State message board... is there Iowa fans that type Hawkeye drivel into all the Cyclone threads? That monitor it daily? If so... why do people do that? Why would a fan of one team be so obsessed with another?

I'm counting Iowa out this season. As I've said before, they are going to be a bubble team all year, and end up in the NIT. You'll get crap, but I won't give you crap. Because next season (13-14) you'll be something. You'll make the tourney as a 9,8, or 7. Win a game, then get bounced. Your recruiting for the 2013 and 2014 will determine your future from there.

I have never been to an Iowa State message board... is there Iowa fans that type Hawkeye drivel into all the Cyclone threads? That monitor it daily? If so... why do people do that? Why would a fan of one team be so obsessed with another?

Obsessed? I'm here to debate with you, and you call it an obsession. You try to bully me off your board, and when I don't leave, you either deal with me, or like me.

white and lucious are 2 different types of people. one was kicked off because of his attitude and how he ruined team unity...and that wasnt white. lucious thinks he is #1 on the team and he obviously isnt. he wont like deferring to clyburn. if fred can keep him from ruining team unity than great for him and isu...but he is a cancer. if izzo cant handle someone i would be wary of them.

Well see. Lucious > Gesell. And Clyburn > than every Hawk.

He just broke the CCL points record. Sure it's not a defensive league, but still, 63 points is pretty good.

Well see. Lucious > Gesell. And Clyburn > than every Hawk. He just broke the CCL points record. Sure it's not a defensive league, but still, 63 points is pretty good.

i dont deny lucious's ability and he is better than gesell but i wouldnt over look iowa as young teams can upset in that situation. lucious is a problem child and i think he may struggle deferring to clyburn who is a lottery type talent. hopefully it all works well for isu because i would prefer the 2 teams have great games and are relevant once again. but lucious is could (key word is could) be more of a detriment than a help based on his past. maybe he has matured and fred got to him. if that is the case than isu has 2 guys that will be drafted after next yr as lucious has that type of talent. but i want to see it when it matters...not a summer league.

i dont deny lucious's ability and he is better than gesell but i wouldnt over look iowa as young teams can upset in that situation. lucious is a problem child and i think he may struggle deferring to clyburn who is a lottery type talent. hopefully it all works well for isu because i would prefer the 2 teams have great games and are relevant once again. but lucious is could (key word is could) be more of a detriment than a help based on his past. maybe he has matured and fred got to him. if that is the case than isu has 2 guys that will be drafted after next yr as lucious has that type of talent. but i want to see it when it matters...not a summer league.

WELL SAID! You didn't give a snarky remark like most people would. I agree with you on lucious. He better have things figured out. But, isn't this what people were saying last year about Royce? I dunno. I think Clyburn could help Fred with calming down Lucious. You're right KL has got to figure out that he needs to be a pass first, pass second, pass third, score if can. Clyburn is lottery talent, and he will not be afraid of flying.

WELL SAID! You didn't give a snarky remark like most people would. I agree with you on lucious. He better have things figured out. But, isn't this what people were saying last year about Royce? I dunno. I think Clyburn could help Fred with calming down Lucious. You're right KL has got to figure out that he needs to be a pass first, pass second, pass third, score if can. Clyburn is lottery talent, and he will not be afraid of flying.

i had doubts about royce but not as much as lucious. they left their schools for very different reasons. i wouldnt sleep on the young iowa team though. if babb cant slow marble down (and yes he will guard marble not clyburn) or if ogelsby gets hot and white (sorry if this contradicts your thoughts) will get his as he is better than ejim (though i like ejim he isnt as good as white). if woody is up to speed it will be fun to watch the centers battle as i think the x-factor for isu will be that young center they have (name is escaping me right now). iowa should be over matched in 1 spot (pg). isu has the upper hand at sf (marble isnt a lottery talent but he is crafty and will get his). sg i will call it a wash as babb is all defense and ogelsby is more offense. pf iowa has the edge (imo by a lot more than isu fans will give credit). center could be even if woody is ready but isu should have an edge. but iowa has become adept at the upset. and i feel they will average close to 80 pts a game (though isu should too) it will be a high scoring up and down game.

i had doubts about royce but not as much as lucious. they left their schools for very different reasons. i wouldnt sleep on the young iowa team though. if babb cant slow marble down (and yes he will guard marble not clyburn) or if ogelsby gets hot and white (sorry if this contradicts your thoughts) will get his as he is better than ejim (though i like ejim he isnt as good as white). if woody is up to speed it will be fun to watch the centers battle as i think the x-factor for isu will be that young center they have (name is escaping me right now). iowa should be over matched in 1 spot (pg). isu has the upper hand at sf (marble isnt a lottery talent but he is crafty and will get his). sg i will call it a wash as babb is all defense and ogelsby is more offense. pf iowa has the edge (imo by a lot more than isu fans will give credit). center could be even if woody is ready but isu should have an edge. but iowa has become adept at the upset. and i feel they will average close to 80 pts a game (though isu should too) it will be a high scoring up and down game.

Great analysis. I would give Iowa the PF upper hand as well. Ejim is great, and White is great. I believe White could end up middle first round. The center you're thinking of is Percy Gibson, I believe. He is also young, but is not 7 feet tall. Gibson will be fantastic when he's a senior. I'll give ISU SF and PG, like you. Both seniors and both could get drafted. I'll call it a toss up for SG and C. Although, I wish we could see another Scotty vs. Gatens (A classic in my mind). Babb and Oglesby will only be a good matchup when Iowa has the ball. If Woody pans out, C could be a good matchup, although, I'm likely wanting to give ISU the advantage because they have Anthony Booker, who could play some C, and score some 3's (not sure if Woody's perimeter defense is that good) Marble is too young to give him an advantage over Clyburn.

MAN I cannot wait for basketball season!! Just talking about match ups is making me watch reruns.

I remember during the Kansas @ ISU game I was at this season, Fred screamed at Chris Allen (probably not good, he has a heart condition). Allen had been playing terrible the past games. I don't know what Fred said, but after that game, Allen had 3 straight 25 point games.

The reason I say that? It makes me think Fred can control Lucious. Both got kicked out of MSU for similar reasons (I think?)

Anyway, I'm glad you pay attention to our team. I pay attention to yours as well. I would take White in a heartbeat. I also (burns to say) like Fran. I think he's doing the best with what he's got. He rinds me of a Gene Chizik. Wins with talent, loses without. He's getting the talent. He won't have to leave (I don't know how committed he is to the Hawks, like Fred is for us)

I remember during the Kansas @ ISU game I was at this season, Fred screamed at Chris Allen (probably not good, he has a heart condition). Allen had been playing terrible the past games. I don't know what Fred said, but after that game, Allen had 3 straight 25 point games.

The reason I say that? It makes me think Fred can control Lucious. Both got kicked out of MSU for similar reasons (I think?)

Anyway, I'm glad you pay attention to our team. I pay attention to yours as well. I would take White in a heartbeat. I also (burns to say) like Fran. I think he's doing the best with what he's got. He rinds me of a Gene Chizik. Wins with talent, loses without. He's getting the talent. He won't have to leave (I don't know how committed he is to the Hawks, like Fred is for us)

So, you're playing nice now? No more name calling? Do you have some kind of split personality disorder?

WELL SAID! You didn't give a snarky remark like most people would.

You come to this board trolling, and you expect Hawk fans to treat you nicely? Most of the posters on here will treat you the way you treat them......you have 150 or so complete trolling post, so that is how posters respond to you......as a troll.

Now if you start posting more like your last few post, that would be a welcome change. We have plenty of idiotic ISU trolls on here......and could desperately use more intelligent ISU posters.

c&g i have to agree with deanvogs. when you troll every iowa fan on here will go after you. when you are like your last few posts to me many will have polite convo. there are some idiots that will still be jerks but really every fan base has those types.

gibson is who i was thinking of. he has a great upside and is a thicker body downlow. woody will really struggle against posts that force him to come out away from the basket. he isnt a great defender but away from the basket scares me.

lucious and allen are different guys. lucious was much worse at msu than allen was if i am remembering the stories correctly. i just wonder if you cant play for izzo, than what is different about hoiberg. nothing against fred but izzo is a hall of famer. maybe hoiberg is just that good at relating. and if he is then wow isu could get to eustacy and floyd type winning with out the cheating and team blow ups.

the place i think iowa really has an advantage even though the team is young is their depth. i think iowa could easily run 10 or 11 guys out there on isu and if they could get lucious and/or clyburn in foul trouble that could really hurt.

i really like ejim's play but he just doesnt have the skillset for anyone to say he is better than white. white has unique skillset and is fun to watch. ejim and basabe are similar players and iowa fans enjoy basabe but he is offensively limited (i thought basabe had the upperhand originally but that isnt true).

babb v. ogelsby matchup is really just a paper matchup as babb will guard marble. only 2 reasons babb isnt on marble. 1) marble is sitting, not likely i see him playing 30 min easily maybe close to 35 or more against teams like isu that can score like we can...best scorer on the team need him on the court at the 2 or 3 (sometimes even the 1). 2) clyburn is a better defender than babb, not likely plus you would prefer clyburn not work nearly as hard on defense so he is ready on offense. this was tough on gatens as he was our best defender and i think it hurt his offense.

i really hate the chizik comparison. when gene was hired at isu i said he would last upwards of 4 yrs because he always leaves and he wanted a bigger school. although i dont know how committed to iowa fran is for the long haul his building record shows he sticks with all his teams much longer than chizik did. chizik was the used car salesman that sold you and got rid of you (that is the sec). fran is a salesman that seems to be more trust worthy. if he sells you a car that doesnt pan out (possibly olaseni) he will work on the car for you and if it doesnt work he will find you a better car (woodbury or even meyer). chizik was the wrong person for the job at isu. we will find out if rhoads is the right guy in the next few yrs when he has his players and if he can still win some games. chizik brought in talent and rhoads got his wins with that. although i think rhoads is the guy...too bad he will be similar to mccartney and will have a ceiling on wins. (sorry for the last little ribbing but it probably is true).

i stated we will struggle at first...to say with how much we are putting on frosh that they will come in and just automatically be better is a pipe dream. we have 3 positions that will be better than last yr when we start but pg and sg will take developing.

to say i will be wrong on every account means you dont fully understand basketball...i accept i could be wrong but to say there will be no growing pains next yr is ignorant. even kentucky had some growing pains last yr and look at the talent they had.

If Gesell & Clemmons are worse than Cartwright was last year, then we are in trouble. And yes, I mean from the get go. Especially from the beginning, as Bryce was a non-factor at the beginning of both seasons... Cartwright had no shot & played average defense in his best games. Both of those areas will be better, at the start, with our new additions. Both have good penetration and can handle the ball quite well. So, out the gates we will be better at PG, compared to Cartwright's start of the season(s). Definitely his performance from last season.

Will there be struggles? Probably. But I do not think there will be many, definitely less than a few people think... If for some reason they both cannot produce. Roy can more than help out. He may very well be one of the better PGs in the B1G. Fortunately he has more potential at another position(s).

Barring a lot of injuries, PG is not a position we will have to worry about as long as Fran is in IC. Enjoy the ride...

Latest posts