If you played football in HS, did you suffer a concussion (poll)?

If you played football at least all through high school, did you ever have a concussion?

• no

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • yes, I had one

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • yes, multiple

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • none diagnosed, but some suspected

Votes: 21 23.3%

• Total voters
Kyle VanDen Bosch (played for Nebby) knocked me pretty silly when he sacked me in the late 90's. We sucked and he demolished our entire team by himself.

KVB was rough. Played for the Titans for a while and that dude had one speed and that was all out.

I had exactly one. Got leveled by quinn sypniewski but he tripped over my corpse so I got credit for the tackle.

After the game I had a splitting headache and the bus ride home was a nightmare. I only remember the hit because we were laughing about it on tape the next day.

Played 4 yrs in HS and a little in College, too. Played Outside LB (Defense), end on Offense;

Saw stars a few times after bringing down a Running back with a hit. Never came out of any game, for
injury. Senior year in HS, I was on Offense, Defense and ALL special teams. Fun times.

Obliviously, my executive faculties are just Grate 2 day. :)

Got my bell rung a few times. Worst head blow ever was slipping on concrete and hitting my head

Life is a crap shoot. This is a good point and I know of several people who had brain surgery to relieve bleeding after hitting their heads skiing and this has happened to many. Workplace injuries, we all know people or ourselves who had falls that severely hurt our heads. I myself at 7 years old had the top edge of a pool table that was stacked on top of another pool table and both were leaning against a garage wall fall on my head ( and I will listen to all your smartass jokes about how this could have happened) and I had a major concussion. My head swelled up like one of those aliens on The Outer Limits or Star Trek, eyes were very dilated, hurt like hell, major contussion but no fracture. I played alot of pickup football through high school and in organized in Jr High but my mom especially even back then was not sure I should play as I got older.

And by the way I have been a little off ever since that happened. ;)

Personally, I am pretty confident that I never had a concussion in high school. I cannot even think of a time when I got dinged/had bell rung/saw stars/etc..

Playing small-college ball in the late 90's, I can think of 2 times I saw stars and got a bit dizzy. Both involved me lowering my head to initiate contact. Neither resulted in any symptoms that persisted beyond 30 seconds. I don't think that is a concussion, but some might argue that any time you see stars, that is a concussion.
Those are concussions. That is the issue the sport is having now. You're operating under my dad's generation of the definition of discussion. Those two hits you described, I would give 90% odds you had mild concussions. A concussion is not JUST when you get knocked out, get disoriented, are uncoordinated, nauseated etc. Those are more severe concussions. You can have small concussions that add up. Now your two probably won't result in CTE but one of the things they're realizing now is that the little micro concussions that linemen take every play add up and can be just as bad a WR getting knocked out cold a couple times because those linemen take hits to the head hard enough to cause a micro concussion every single game.

I myself at 7 years old had the top edge of a pool table that was stacked on top of another pool table and both were leaning against a garage wall fall on my head ( and I will listen to all your smartass jokes about how this could have happened) and I had a major concussion.
Hmm.

I hate to be the one to break this to you after all this time, but your parents were trying to get rid of you right there.

"Hey junior, we got you a surprise. Just go over to those heavy pool tables, close your eyes, and pull on that rope."

Also sounds like a "you might be a redneck" joke....

Hmm.

I hate to be the one to break this to you after all this time, but your parents were trying to get rid of you right there.

"Hey junior, we got you a surprise. Just go over to those heavy pool tables, close your eyes, and pull on that rope."

Also sounds like a "you might be a redneck" joke....

That is one way to look at it. Actually I remember my parents telling my older brother and I not to play on or by those pool tables which of course was the first thing we did.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/01/concussion-lawsuits-ncaa-insurance-premiums

Earlier this week, in the Southern District of Indiana, dozens of lawsuits were filed by people you’ve probably never heard of. But I bet you’ve heard of the central defendant: the NCAA, which is on the other end of what will eventually be more than 200 filings that represent a coordinated effort toward some kind of reckoning on head trauma in the college game.

The first of the lawsuits came to light on Jan. 25, and they have kept coming this week, from players at schools across all divisions of football. They are currently filed in the district where the NCAA is headquartered, but they’re likely to be part of multidistrict litigation in Chicago, according to Law360.com. Each former player who filed a lawsuit will represent groups of players from his school, and each suit will have its own specific list of complaints.

The ABA, ruining everything for over 200 years.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/01/concussion-lawsuits-ncaa-insurance-premiums

Earlier this week, in the Southern District of Indiana, dozens of lawsuits were filed by people you’ve probably never heard of. But I bet you’ve heard of the central defendant: the NCAA, which is on the other end of what will eventually be more than 200 filings that represent a coordinated effort toward some kind of reckoning on head trauma in the college game.

The first of the lawsuits came to light on Jan. 25, and they have kept coming this week, from players at schools across all divisions of football. They are currently filed in the district where the NCAA is headquartered, but they’re likely to be part of multidistrict litigation in Chicago, according to Law360.com. Each former player who filed a lawsuit will represent groups of players from his school, and each suit will have its own specific list of complaints.

The ABA, ruining everything for over 200 years.

And this is ok, it could lead to the end of football as we know it. Or it could be the headhunters or accidental head shots are severely punished by missing two games, etc

130 tackles, 13 sacks....2 yrs as a starter at DE/TE....one day i met Trev Alberts in the hole dead to rights munch time (he was also a decent fb in hs), came in high and about 8 yds later my permanent imprint in the earth still remains at my old hs field. Got credited with a tackle, hopefully his statistician gave him one too on that play. No concussions however. Matt Hilliard and Trev Alberts both in the backfield in 1A football = nightmare.

3 years of youth full contact, 2 of MS, 4 of HS, and 4 of college. Took a lot of blows, especially as a lineman, but honestly I think I'm okay. I'll almost certainly have CTE down the road, but for me it was worth every second.

Had one when played against Royce Alger of Lisbon he was running all day inside tackle so as a DE I slipped inside to meet him in the hole, big collision but I didn't feel to bad. Bus ride home i realized I couldn't remember what a quarterback was. Then started kinda freaking out as I couldn't re!ember a bunch of stuff. Two hour bus ride home by time I got to the school it started coming back in pieces. Kinda scary stuff, only time it happened, which is pretty lucky for me as I always led with my helmet. They didn't call it unless you hit someone in the back.

130 tackles, 13 sacks....2 yrs as a starter at DE/TE....one day i met Trev Alberts in the hole dead to rights munch time (he was also a decent fb in hs), came in high and about 8 yds later my permanent imprint in the earth still remains at my old hs field. Got credited with a tackle, hopefully his statistician gave him one too on that play. No concussions however. Matt Hilliard and Trev Alberts both in the backfield in 1A football = nightmare.
The one thing I think of when I hear the name Trev Alberts is, "Who the hell is Mel Kiper?"

The one thing I think of when I hear the name Trev Alberts is, "Who the hell is Mel Kiper?"
Another Hawkeye white whale of that era. The basketball 5* to Kansas, North Carolina, elite football prospects to the blue bloods. Seems as if the high 4*/5* is the golden ticket not to be wasted on Iowa.

Q: Growing up in Cedar Falls, Iowa, and home of University of Northern Iowa, what was your favorite team as a kid?

TA: By far it would have been the Iowa Hawkeyes. We were inundated with Iowa coverage, so it was Chuck Long, Gordie Bohannon, Larry Station, I knew ’em all. Guys I really admired, knowing about them all.

Q: So how the heck did you end up at Nebraska?

TA: I really intended to go to Iowa. It was a place that I admired and in Hayden Fry’s hands, who’d really turned the program around. The Hawkeyes had recently fallen on hard times (though we were all well aware of what Coach Fry had done), but we really took a trip out to Lincoln to ‘enjoy a free weekend’, get to know the little state to the west.

One in Junior High. Kocked out. Played Rugy spring of Senior Year Through age 30. I played mens club side rugby as a HS kid. probably 4 or 5 bell rings in those 13 years of rugby. Wouldn't change it for nothing...rugby made me a man quickly and also taught me how to swear properly.

Latest posts